Other Update on our home cooking adventures

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
It has been almost 2 months I think since I started cooking for Zoey. The improvement is just fantastic! Her tear stains are gone. She no longer scratches and her ears are completely cleared up! Her face stays dry now and we just do once a day wipe out maintenance. I have her on a MV as well and her coat just shines. I have developed several different recipes for her so far, but she is very partial to deer meat with carrots and green beans. I tried adding some rice a couple of weeks ago and her face flared up immediately so she is definitely a grain free girl. I wanted to thank you all for the guidance through this process! This site has been tremendously helpful! Happy Monday everyone!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Good for you! Isn't it really worth the trouble?:happy2:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
can you post some of the recipes. I need to do this with only Oliver, his eyes are always runny and his tear stains are bad and he's prone to ear infections.

OP
Zoey1974

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
@Kim Sebastian n Oliver The recipes are usually whatever is on sale for the week or I have in my freezer. I cook up a batch for a week at a time and freeze it in meal size servings. This week, I made up 4 pounds of ground deer meat, 2 bags of green beans, and a bag of carrots. I use frozen veggies to eliminate the sodium content. I cook everything up and kind of mash it all together. She also gets a few tablespoons of cottage cheese or yogurt daily. For her treats, she gets apples, blueberries, bananas, cucumbers, or some type of fresh fruit or veggie. Last week, I cooked up 2 pork roasts with peas and carrots. It is actually quite easy to feed this way and she LOVES it! I have decided not to use any chicken as she has so many allergies that I don't want to chance it and I don't use any rice or pasta for the same reason. My ratio has been about 75% meat and the rest veggies. The multivitamin is important on this type of diet to ensure they are getting everything they need. I made her the yogurt and peanut butter ice cream treats this week too and they were a big hit. Hubby is getting a bit jealous so I think I'm gonna have to cook up something special for him too :D

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
sounds interesting. I think it would be a lot of work to do this for 3 tho. lol Miila is an itchy little girl so it is a tempting idea. How much do you give at a feeding? Would it be similar to the amount of kibble you would give?

OP
Zoey1974

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] I give her 1.5 cups twice a day plus her snacks. I am still uncertain exactly how much she should have. She has put on a few pounds recently so I know I am not under feeding her. It would definitely be work for 3. We also have a beagle mix and he now refuses to eat kibble so he gets the good stuff too. I averaged out the cost per day this way versus Fromm and I cut out about a third of the cost. It does take more time than kibble so that is also a consideration. She is so healthy though now. Here are the before and after pics!!
DSCF0042.jpgZoey the first day we got her
Zoey!.jpgZoey just now. Please ignore my feet :D

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow! That is amazing! 1/3 the cost of Fromm huh? Interesting.... Thinking I would need a bigger garage fridge and freezer for thus tho also. We r pretty full as it us just for us. Lol but thus I could do over raw for sure. How much were you feeding of the Fromm compared? My pups love feeding times now I can imagine how crazy they would be if they ate this stuff instead.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
thanks so much. Like I said I will be doing this for just Oliver right now and keeping the other two on kibble. I just need to go some multivitamins and I'm good to go. I usually have everything else here.

OP
Zoey1974

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
I gave her 1.5 to 2 cups of Fromm twice a day so I guess the amount didn't change much. I am new to this still and trying to find the exact balance of how much and am resisting the urge to over feed her. She would eat 24/7 I think if I let her! We got a chest freezer and threw it in the laundry room so whenever I see veggies or good meat on sale I pick it up. If you are able to use chicken, it would be even cheaper. I just saw a huge bag of leg quarters here on sale for 49 cents a pound and wished I could get some! Even her attitude is more playful and energetic. She only sleeps 18 hours a day now :lmao:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
I gave her 1.5 to 2 cups of Fromm twice a day so I guess the amount didn't change much. I am new to this still and trying to find the exact balance of how much and am resisting the urge to over feed her. She would eat 24/7 I think if I let her! We got a chest freezer and threw it in the laundry room so whenever I see veggies or good meat on sale I pick it up. If you are able to use chicken, it would be even cheaper. I just saw a huge bag of leg quarters here on sale for 49 cents a pound and wished I could get some! Even her attitude is more playful and energetic. She only sleeps 18 hours a day now :lmao:

Lmao 18 hours a day. Think we need to work on getting a good freezer one of these days. where to put it tho is the question. Lol

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Lmao 18 hours a day. Think we need to work on getting a good freezer one of these days. where to put it tho is the question. Lol

Mine are currently in the basement. I've seen some people put theirs in the garage. If I had to do it over again, I'd get the biggest one possible. Mine's an ok size, but wish it were bigger. Some meat cuts come in odd shaped pieces so it would take more room. :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Mine are currently in the basement. I've seen some people put theirs in the garage. If I had to do it over again, I'd get the biggest one possible. Mine's an ok size, but wish it were bigger. Some meat cuts come in odd shaped pieces so it would take more room. :)

Gawd I wish I had a basement! In my dreams...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.