General Question When to switch to 2 feedings a day?

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Just curious as to what age others have switched a puppy from 3 feedings down to 2 a day and if they did a slow switch or just eliminated a feeding all together. Ellie is 4 months right now.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank was a little over five months when we stopped his midday feeding. For the first week when I came home to let him out, I would give him a full size biscuit when he went back to his kennel, and we'd feed him his evening meal a little earlier. He adjusted well and didn't seem to miss it since the other meal portions were increased to equal the same daily amount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Both boys were 6mos old when I made the switch to twice a day feedings. No tapering or anything, just switched immediately and they were fine.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Lots of people go to 2 feedings a day immediately. If they work it's a necessity. We changed Jake from 3 to 2 feedings at 5 months..but we had the luxury of me being home. I'll tag @JeannieCO..I'm certain she is one who went to 2 feedings a day almost immediately after bringing Emma home.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Lots of people go to 2 feedings a day immediately. If they work it's a necessity. We changed Jake from 3 to 2 feedings at 5 months..but we had the luxury of me being home. I'll tag @JeannieCO..I'm certain she is one who went to 2 feedings a day almost immediately after bringing Emma home.
Thanks Becky. :2thumbs:

When I got Wilson last year at 8 weeks old he went to twice a day feeding within a week and the same with Emma whenI got her earlier this year (she was 8 weeks too). The reason I did this is that I have to leave for work at 7 and don't get home until 5. I will not feed my dogs unattended for the sole reason that they can choke to death on their food. We actually had our old Ace dropped to the floor right in front of us on Christmas Eve 2 years ago. He was finsihing up eating and apparently a kibble or kibbles got stuck and he keeled over. Because we knew what had happened and were all right there, he lived for another 1.5 years. My husband gave him doggy himlick (excuse the mispell) and out popped kibble. He continued on that night like nothing had happend.

What I would recommend is when you do get home give your bully make feeding time shortly after that. Ellie May will adapt pretty quick and will be just fine.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Thanks Becky. :2thumbs:

When I got Wilson last year at 8 weeks old he went to twice a day feeding within a week and the same with Emma whenI got her earlier this year (she was 8 weeks too). The reason I did this is that I have to leave for work at 7 and don't get home until 5. I will not feed my dogs unattended for the sole reason that they can choke to death on their food. We actually had our old Ace dropped to the floor right in front of us on Christmas Eve 2 years ago. He was finsihing up eating and apparently a kibble or kibbles got stuck and he keeled over. Because we knew what had happened and were all right there, he lived for another 1.5 years. My husband gave him doggy himlick (excuse the mispell) and out popped kibble. He continued on that night like nothing had happend.

What I would recommend is when you do get home give your bully make feeding time shortly after that. Ellie May will adapt pretty quick and will be just fine.

Great advice :2thumbs: Thats my worst fear and if godforbid you werent there! Great job to hubby :2thumbs:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.