Help Needed! Allergic to lamb kibble

L

Lucy-licious

So after quite a long haul we have finally found Billy's appetite and just a few days ago introduced Lamb and rice James Wellbeloved into his diet...yesterday I noticed he was trying to scratch and today I found a few hives on his neck and a couple on his side...poor baby. Thekibble us the only new thing. So I'm pretty sure my poor boy is allergic. My plan is to try him with another flavour....thinking maybe the fish and rice.
my question......Do I go back to home cooked rice and beef...then transition again when the hives have cleared...or just switch to the fish flavour and see how it goes. How long should it take for the hives to clear and me to see if the new food us ok??

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UGH.... I would do the rice/beef and transition to new. The hives should go away in a few hours, with the help of Benedryl

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:ohmy: Poor Billy! Well..this happened to us with Jake when I tried NVI Salmon..he had an immediate reaction! I just went right back to his old food. Then waited until I felt confident in trying a new food..and started a slow transition. So..I would go ack to what he has been eating..and wait a couple weeks..

OP
L

Lucy-licious

UGH.... I would do the rice/beef and transition to new. The hives should go away in a few hours, with the help of Benedryl

Can I give him Benadryl?...he's only 13 weeks old. And if so what's the dose? I use piriton for Lucy but would definitely not give that to Billy.

OP
L

Lucy-licious

You didn't ask me..but I wouldn't unless he is 25 pounds!

Lol I didn't see your answer until after I quoted Christine. :hug: I'm not sure what he weighs at the minute...brain fog :)

I think you are right and going back to home cooked is the best idea and switch when the kibble is definitely out of his system. We were so hoping lamb would be good for him though...cos that is what Lucy is on....not because it's easier but because we will not be able to feed them together, cos neither will be able to eat the others food or treats either. Oh dear :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Can I give him Benadryl?...he's only 13 weeks old. And if so what's the dose? I use piriton for Lucy but would definitely not give that to Billy.

yes,,,, 1mg per pound

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Lol I didn't see your answer until after I quoted Christine. :hug: I'm not sure what he weighs at the minute...brain fog :)

I think you are right and going back to home cooked is the best idea and switch when the kibble is definitely out of his system. We were so hoping lamb would be good for him though...cos that is what Lucy is on....not because it's easier but because we will not be able to feed them together, cos neither will be able to eat the others food or treats either. Oh dear :(

Well..maybe Lucy would like a change too! :D

OP
L

Lucy-licious

Well..maybe Lucy would like a change too! :D

Im sure she would...but we have her set up with her Lamb and Veg grain free.
poor sweety though, I made them bothe the peanut butter and yoghurt ice cream treats....she has 3 great big boils on her black bit near her lips...I'm thinking she had a reaction to peanuts since that us the only thing different she had yesterday. She's snoozing on my knee after her piriton. I really should know better than to give her anything new to eat.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Im sure she would...but we have her set up with her Lamb and Veg grain free.
poor sweety though, I made them bothe the peanut butter and yoghurt ice cream treats....she has 3 great big boils on her black bit near her lips...I'm thinking she had a reaction to peanuts since that us the only thing different she had yesterday. She's snoozing on my knee after her piriton. I really should know better than to give her anything new to eat.

Awwwww! Poor Lucy! Jake says he will be right over to kiss her boo boos!

NO! I did NOT say boobies! :laugh:

OP
L

Lucy-licious

Well...I went back to the home cooked beef and rice and after just 1 day back on that the hives on his neck are already going down...he's still itching at the ones on his side but they came up after the ones on his neck so I gues they will take longer to go away. I'll keep in on the beef and rice until the hives are all gone then try a new kibble. None of the puppy foods are grain free though...Lucy had problems with them all and we eventually got her on the grain free adult food at around 7 months. When is it good to switch to adult food?? For now I think he needs the extra protein puppy food has and the kibble is smaller. Lucy's kibble is twice the size as the puppy kibble...he would never manage it.

@cowsmom [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] @2BullyMama

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I have heard you can switch them at 4 months but I'm no expert. The wellbeloved does have other grain in it besides the lamb so it does not have to be that necessarily. Poor baby. I hope he feels better soon.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I have no words of wisdom here...just well wishes and kisses:angelheart:

OP
L

Lucy-licious

I have heard you can switch them at 4 months but I'm no expert. The wellbeloved does have other grain in it besides the lamb so it does not have to be that necessarily. Poor baby. I hope he feels better soon.

yeah i was just looking at that myself...Lucy must be intolerant to rice...she still reacted to the lamb and rice but not the lamb and veg!! It was marketted as Grain Free though :confused:
I can get Taste of The Wild here...postal order only and only 2 1/2 kg bags and with delivery its triple the price...i'll try him on the fish formula JWB and if thats the same I'll get the ToTW.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
IF you go to another flavor other than lamb and he has the same reaction then I would suspect the rice, not the protein source. Ive heard 6 months for switching to adult food. Call the company and ask them. They should have an 800 #.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.