Help Needed! Royal Canin Puppy food

salukutinaveen

Jul 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paaro
Hi All,

My pup is 3 months old and i am feeding her "Royal Canin Bulldog Puppy 30". I have no problems feeding her Royal canin, but she is not at all excited about the food. When I bring in water. She gets "HYPER" "VERY EXCITED" about drinking water but not at all excited about eating her food. She drinks all the water and then starts eating. Does this mean I have to change my food. I am planning on changing her food to raw diet, but I am not finding a place in my town where i can find raw meat. so can you pelase suggest me a good food for my pup, and is it normal to get more excited for water rather than for food ?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Naveen.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
:hiya: If you look at the dog food ratinngs on the site you will find that RC is a low rated food. Here is the link :
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings

I feed Brutus and Chanel Fromm Beef Fritatta and alot of other bullies do great on it. Food is a trial and error process as some may have allergic reactions to certain foods. Others will be by with more advice but a good start is the food ratings to give you an idea of what is good. Hope all goes well :)

SENSEI

Aug 4, 2012
Coachella Valley, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella & Tyke the Frenchie
Our Frenchie Tyke was on RC for years and he did well. Bella started having some skin issues so we switched to Nature's Variety. I used the food rating from this site and one that I found on the web (dog food advisor dot com) to make our decision. We are using the Salmon, we I think we are going to try the beef next. Fromm is a little difficult to find around here or I would try that.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Royal Canin is not a good food..there are much..much better ones that should be easily found..if not..you can order from Petflow...it's wonderful to have your food delivered to your door! Plus they are usually less expensive than the tores and free shipping is available.

Last edited by a moderator:

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
I never had my guys on the puppy food, but once they turned one we tried the Royal Canin Bulldog (adult) food - and it was at vet's recommendation. I know some folks have great luck on it, but within a week both of my kids (they are littermates) had insane diarrhea and face folds so badly infected they were oozing green pus. We stopped the food, got them to the vet's and after a couple of days on antibiotics they were fine. That food is full of corn... and it reeked.
I agree with the other posters.... there are much better foods out there. I am still on the dog food roller coaster (learning their reactions, looking for a good fit - you can see my other post LOL), hopefully things go well!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
One thing I noticed was you said when you bring the water in she drinks it all up??? Are you restricting water? If so I wouldn't, we never ever restrict water from our pups or adult bullies. They will learn to be house trained with water 24/7. Pups as well as adult bullies need their water as well as a good food to grow and be healthy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hiya: If you look at the dog food ratinngs on the site you will find that RC is a low rated food. Here is the link :
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=219-Dog-Food-Ratings

I feed Brutus and Chanel Fromm Beef Fritatta and alot of other bullies do great on it. Food is a trial and error process as some may have allergic reactions to certain foods. Others will be by with more advice but a good start is the food ratings to give you an idea of what is good. Hope all goes well :)

AGREED!!

OP
S

salukutinaveen

Jul 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paaro
One thing I noticed was you said when you bring the water in she drinks it all up??? Are you restricting water? If so I wouldn't, we never ever restrict water from our pups or adult bullies. They will learn to be house trained with water 24/7. Pups as well as adult bullies need their water as well as a good food to grow and be healthy.

I put water for her 24x7 before and she almost used to have 1.7 to 1.8 litres of water in 24 hrs time !! which was wayy too much !! and she constantly peed, because of the way she drank water. My Vet told me that a bulldog this age would have about 650 ML, so I am giving her that in a scheduled manner.
Can you please tell me how much water does your bulldog have .. js want to know if wat my vet said is right.

Thanks in advance..
Naveen.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I put water for her 24x7 before and she almost used to have 1.7 to 1.8 litres of water in 24 hrs time !! which was wayy too much !! and she constantly peed, because of the way she drank water. My Vet told me that a bulldog this age would have about 650 ML, so I am giving her that in a scheduled manner.
Can you please tell me how much water does your bulldog have .. js want to know if wat my vet said is right.

Thanks in advance..
Naveen.

Not much help, but I'm wondering why she drinks so much. There could be an underlying issue.

With the food, there's been numerous instances that once the food is changed to a higher quality one, the appetite comes back. I know a few pups who doesn't like Royal Canin at all, ignored it like your Paaro does. But once it was changed to a brand, they gobbled it right up.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=5447]salukutinaveen[/MENTION] I don't know how much they drink in a day, we just keep water down for them 24/7, plus in their crates. For a three month old pup that does sound like a lot of water unless they are playing a lot and outside quite a bit. If she is thirsty all the time you might have your vet run a kidney function test on her to make sure she does not have anything going on with her kidneys.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I also think RC has salt in it if I'm not mistaken.??

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis

Thanks in advance..
Naveen.

Your vet is 100% right about her needing 650ml of water a day. Please ask your vet run a full CBC and urinalysis to make sure there isn't something bigger going on. That is a lot of water for a puppy to be drinking.

OP
S

salukutinaveen

Jul 17, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paaro
Your vet is 100% right about her needing 650ml of water a day. Please ask your vet run a full CBC and urinalysis to make sure there isn't something bigger going on. That is a lot of water for a puppy to be drinking.

Sure ! and may i know what are normal problems that a puppy might have .. I mean .. i would like to know for what reasons some one would get their pup a CBC and urinalysis check ?
Thanks in advance !
Naveen.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.