General Question Shedding

Becky

Jul 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sooner and Brutus
Hi I am new to the forum sorry if this question has been asked before..but I have 2 male EB and 1 is shedding really bad...I have tried alot of different things even giving him a spoonful of oil...the food I give them is Royal Caini for English Bulldogs they are 4yrs old...I bath them every 2 mons I was told not to over bath them and I use oatmeal shampoo...please help any ideas :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hiya:Becky! I like your name! :ROFL: ..well the best thing you can do is get them on a better food. If you check out the Dog Food Ratings page..I think you'll find Royal Canin is a poorly rated food. It's hard to find the right protein for a lot of these guys..but the overall nutrition level is very important. We have someone here who knows a ton about food @cowsmom and I'm sure she'd be happy to help!

By the way! :welcome:

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...g-Dog-Food-Labels-and-Finding-Bad-Ingredients

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi becky...welcome to EBN Some pups just shed more, but RC food is not very good you should look into switching and check out our dog food ratings list under nutrition

OP
B

Becky

Jul 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sooner and Brutus
Ok thank you

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hi there and Welcome to EBN!! Definitately get them on a better food (I feed my guys Earthborn Holistic Grrain Free Coastal Catch). You'll probably notice lots of things once you do too; less gas, better sheen to their coats, less poop, etc. For the shedding, well you may want to also add some Salmon Oil 4-5 times a week. I use Grizzlyl Salmon Oil. My bullies and my non bully have beautiful soft coats with a wonderful sheen to them. I too use an oatmeal shampoo and will bathe once a month if needed (we camp quite a bit so during the summer they get bathed more off and they're just fine. Another thing is dogs in gereral should be brushed on a regular basis.I probably brush my guys at least 4 times a week, always have. What that does is helps bring the oil to their fur from their skin.

I would recommend a Furminator brush , a curry brush (that's a horse brush) and a Kong Groom Zoom. The Furminator is pricey and I'm one who NEVER thought I would pay the $$ for one. You'll be stunned at the amount of fur it pulls out. The Kong Groom Zoom gets a tremendous amount of hair out too. So much so you think your bullies are snowing fur. The curry brush is great for finishing or just a light brush, it doesn't go deep like the others.

@JAKEISGREAT uses one too. They're great!

Again, :welcome: and we LOVE pictures here!!!

Last edited:

SuggieMama

Aug 5, 2012
fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Love zoom groom!!!! I also have furminator for my pug. I didn't find it helps too much for Tank, but the zoom groom is great! I switched them back to BB Wilderness grain free Salmon and they love it! I tried TOTW they wouldn't even look at it. I chose Salmon flavor for the nutrient benefit of fish oil. I used to give my pug Hemp seed oil and it really reduced shedding.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some just shed more than others. Buddy and his mama Lucy shed like crazy. I do like the Zoom Grom. It works great.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
We have 2 bullies lex our white one sheds like crazy, our female Libby barely sheds! Brushing once a day will help tremendously.

SuggieMama

Aug 5, 2012
fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Ok this may b a crazy question or I may b nuts. But it seems like the white hair on tank sheds more than the brindle on him. Has anyone else heard or experienced this?

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
[MENTION=5642]SuggieMama[/MENTION]
HA yes.! I never thought about it but that happens too with my Jack.
It is primarily the White hair that I sweep up from the tile floors.
I never really see his Brindle or dark color hair much...

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
:hiya: [MENTION=5583]Becky[/MENTION]

Glad you joined us and hope to see some pictures :) I usually brush Brutus everyday and it helps so much with the shedding...He is mostly red with little white on his chest. He does shed more than Chanel(pitbull) I feed them Fromm Grain Free Beef Frittata which is a great food that many bullies do well with.

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
It is also the hot time of the year, so I think it's natural for them to be shedding. I love my kong zoom groom, it works great just make sure you do it outside.

Zoey1974

Bully's Bikes and Books!
Jun 25, 2012
Lake Milton, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey
I have horses so use their grooming tools. The curry brush is amazing for eliminating the extra hair at shedding times. These items are also a lot cheaper!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Ok this may b a crazy question or I may b nuts. But it seems like the white hair on tank sheds more than the brindle on him. Has anyone else heard or experienced this?
The white hair does shed more, not sure why really. Maybe cause it's softer than the colored hair. All three of dogs have white in there, especially our non bully Jack - he's nearly all white.

meatys mom

May 6, 2011
georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
meaty
Too funny!!! I just thought I was seeing things!!! Meaty sheds so much worse with the white hair then his brown!!! So happy my eyes are fine!!:lmao:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.