Help Needed! Puppy food help!

swalesfcc

May 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
My Bella who is 6 months old now is still suffering from food allergies! We have tried TOTW puppy, Fromm gold puppy and the breeder was feeding her Nutra chicken and rice. The TOTW was bison and venison, and the Fromm maine protein is duck. What other good quality puppy foods are there left to try? I took her to a vet who specializes in English bulldogs and he confirmed that she had all the symptoms of a food allergy. She does not get any treats other than her dog food. Any insight on food from the bully veterans would be great!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I am no food expert but Jake can't have chicken..I notice any "fowl" related food has an effect on him. I stay away from duck too. Finding the right food is almost impossible! But you can do it. If you have an allergy test done, it will certainly speed up the process by eliminating his triggers. Also..is your food grain free? At 6 months old you can put her on an all stages food..like Fromm Beef Fritatta. Also how much are you feeding her? Too much food can cause runny poo. I'll tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]..she is super with food.

Remember..always transition slowly when changing foods!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I will answer this tonight when I'm off work n back on a computer so bear with me

OP
swalesfcc

swalesfcc

May 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thanks, I will look tonight for your advice. I forgot to say that we also tried Earthborn holistic as well :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What are her symptoms? Did you switch slowly between foods? How long was she on each one? Sorry all the questions! Hope we can help!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
swalesfcc

swalesfcc

May 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
She is chewing on her paws and scratching her ears obsessively. Her belly is also red and itchy. The vet agreed that it was more than likely food allergy. Yes I gradually switched foods by adding a small amount to her current food and increasing every day until it was all the new food. I tried each food for a month or so. She has been on the Fromm since June and her symptoms seem worse in the last two weeks. That is why I brought her to this new vet that is very familiar with the breed (he owns bulldogs also). I feel so bad for her. She takes one zyrtec daily which helps but she is still itching at night mostly, and then when she wakes up in the morning. I switched her bedding, then changed my laundry detergent to a perfume free brand. I am willing to keep trying the food until we have one that is perfect for her, I just do not know of many good quality brands that are available for puppies. I heard that I could use the other flavors of the Fromm, even if it is an adult food. I may just try that first.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would try her on one of the other FROMM adult foods that do not have chicken or Duck in it. She is old enough to be put on adult food now.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm wondering what a lot have already said ... maybe she is allergic to an ingredient that just happens to be present in all of those foods. cowsmom is our food guru and should be able to tell you if there is soemthing in all of those foods that could be a trigger.

We had the same problem as [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] when we had our Maggie ... she too could not take a lot of chicken. Small amounts ...yes, but as soon as we put her on the Fromm chicken n veg it was horrible!!!! :no: So we just stuck to the Fromm Beef Frittata .... chicken free and grain free!!!

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
:butterfly: Franklin has food allergies an I was feeding him Fromm puppy gold he got really bad yeast infection bumps itchy like you would not believe now I'm on blue wilderness basics it for dogs with food allergies an he loves it yeast infection gone bumps are gone an he's not itchy anymore I love this food an you can go on there website an get a coupon for 5 dollar's off. An they pretty much sell it anywhere. :2thumbs:

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
I would try the Blue Buffalo Limited Ingredients...Blue basic! It comes in different flavors...That's what I did and my dogs are doing great. If the turkey doesn't work after a month try the salmon or the chicken..Good luck!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok heres my 2 cents worth. all those foods have like a million things that could be causing this. they do all seem to be fowl based and i would put this dog on adult food at 6 months old. alot of bullies do not do well with chicken and other birds. does not have to be allergic but can cause stomach distress as in gas and diarrhea. i would try another protein and something grain free. alot here use fromm beef fritatta and my other choice is natures variety lid lamb. oh i almost forgot the earthborn meadow feast. the blue basics is ok and the salmon would be good but im not a fan of such a low protein food but thats just me. i think dogs need a certain amount of protein and 22% is just to low in my opinion. i so hope your baby feels better soon. also if the zyrtec is not working you can try benadryl 1 pill per 25 pounds of dog. now it is more sedating than zyrtec but ive found with sarah benadryl works better for some things and zyrtec better for others. keep us updated. [MENTION=4856]swalesfcc[/MENTION]

OP
swalesfcc

swalesfcc

May 7, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thanks for all your help everyone. I will try changing her to the Fromm Beef Fritatta this week and see how she does.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.