General Question Earthborn Question

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Ellie Mae has been on Earthborn for about a month now and I've noticed over the past couple of weeks that her :poo: has been about 70/30 firm/soft serve style. She's 15 weeks, around 16lbs, and Earthborn's feeding recommendations are 3-4 months 10-20lbs to feed 2-3 cups a day. We began around 1 1\2 cups when we she started on Earthborn, gradually increased it to 2 cups once she hit 10-12lbs, and have been around 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups per day since she hit about 14lbs. The cups per day is over the course of 3 feedings per day. Here are my questions...

1. Does the next bag of food need to be one of their "Natural Grain Free Varieties" or keep her on the puppy formula?
2. If yes to 1, is there a "flavor" of Earthborn that Bullies seem to do better with?
3. Is a brand switch recommended at this stage?
4. Do we need to cut back on the cups per day to get back closer to 2?
5. I've read something about adding pumpkin? Can someone refresh my memory as to what it does, what kind to get, and how much to add if it applies here?

Thanks for any input!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
1. I would switch her over to grain free
2. most bullies seem to do well on the meadow fest but since each bully is different, you might have to try a few first. Try one for a month or so and if you don't like something about it try another.
3. you can do a brand switch at any stage. I think my boys have been on about 4 different foods and they are 1 1/2 and 10 months.
4. I would keep her on the cups/day you have her on right now at least for a little while longer
5. 1 heaping tablespoon of real pumpkin (not the pie filliing with all the spices added in) and it works to stop diarrhea and constipation. Yes, it does both ways!! You can add it to one meal or two, I usually only add it to one unless the poo's are liquid.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm thinking she's getting too much food. I've always been told..Don't feed what mfg says!.. Jake has never gotten more than 2 cups a day! Up to 6 months he got 3 meals of 1/2 cup each..when he went to 2 feedings he did and STILL gets 2 cups a day..1 cup each meal. Too much food always causes soft serve. Jake is on Great Plains Feast..because he can't have chicken or salmon..

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks! I cut her morning feeding back some today and will do the same at lunch and dinner tonight to slowly get her back down to about 2 cups since that's where her :poo: seemed to be better at.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Thanks! I cut her morning feeding back some today and will do the same at lunch and dinner tonight to slowly get her back down to about 2 cups since that's where her :poo: seemed to be better at.

Good plan.... I was thinking the same as the others.... a little too much. I'd also keep her on the same food for a while just to keep her diet stable. If there are no adverse affects of her current food there is no reason to change.... for now.

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Good plan.... I was thinking the same as the others.... a little too much. I'd also keep her on the same food for a while just to keep her diet stable. If there are no adverse affects of her current food there is no reason to change.... for now.

We just bought a new bag last week, so she should be good on it for another couple of weeks. After that, I may try one of their Grain Free varieties.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Ok, I am going to *sort of* highjack this thread. I have noticed that since I have been back around, there are lots of bullies on this food now. Anyone wanna fill me in? I have been thinking of switching and noticed that they carry it here.

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

anyone else using this food?

Thanks for the info!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Ok, I am going to *sort of* highjack this thread. I have noticed that since I have been back around, there are lots of bullies on this food now. Anyone wanna fill me in? I have been thinking of switching and noticed that they carry it here.

@JAKEISGREAT
@cowsmom

Thanks for the info!!
well yes im using it for one of my bostons now and there are several here who are using it still and some who tried it and it didnt work out. jeannieco is using it and im not sure who else off the top of my head. oh wait vicaroo1000 is using it also. i think for the price its awsome food. i would have my other boston on it but i think he has a pea allergy and of course ms allergy cant have it either. i think some use the great plains and some the coastal catch and some the meadow feast. any other questions just ask

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Thanks Sandy! [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]. I need a variety that is chicken/pork/grain free. I will go and take a look at it closer but sometimes it is easier to touch base with my peeps first. heehee

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Betty.. Jake is on the Great Plains Feast. Bison.. He can't have fowl or fish. He's done great on it. But a few haven't been as happy as me! :D. I think [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] didn't like as well as Fromm for HRH.. But for Jake..so far so great! And he's been on it probably about 6 months??

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
We've had Ellie on it for about a month and a half now. So far, so good in regards to the Puppy Vantage formula with the exception of this over feeding issue that I ran into. You go by their recommendations and I ended up feeding a little too much.....ah well.....I'm sure I'm not the first that it's happened to. Now that we have her back down to 2 cups over 3 feedings a day, Ellie's :poo: is much more firm.

I really wanted something that I could get locally as I'm very particular at shopping for food.....even for the pets. I like to be able to inspect the bag and make sure that it meets my approval for no holes, tears, rips, etc, make sure that the expiration date is good enough, and be able to run out and get a bag if needed. We'll probably be doing another bag of the Puppy Vantage formula before switching over to either the Great Plains Feast or Meadow Feast. I haven't decided which I want to try her on yet though.

My only complaint is that the resealable bag works for a couple of days before the sticker loses its stickiness. Nothing a Tupperware container can't fix though.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Having ok results with Meadowfeast for over 3 months now- though the kibble is very dark now due to them having a new lamb meal source, I was told.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)

@JAKEISGREAT
@cowsmom

Thanks for the info!!

I dug up my old research on it. Here ya go: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...t=13236&page=3&p=154155&viewfull=1#post154155

I actually switched to the Primitive Natural about 4 months or so ago. The feed store that I go to for all my exotic pets stopped carrying Blue Buffalo! So, I went to all the Pet Stores close to me and Blue Wilderness was $75 for the 24lb bag! A lot more than I was paying at the feed store. So, I went ahead and risked a food switch because Earthborn was only $55 for a 28lb bag. So yeah, this was completely price induced and nothing else.

I haven't had any problems with it. I haven't tried any of the other flavors. I top the dry food with a small amount of wet food so I use the wet food for flavor.

By the way, I haven't tried it yet, but the Pet Store I get my Earthborn from now carries Earthborn wet dog food - just started last week. I'll try it next time.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.