cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Re: Orijen, TOTW or Fromm - allergy problems

So confused :help1: She loves Orijen and I felt really bad when he told me that so of course I want to do the right thing. I felt really good having done all of my research and settling on Orijen. Think I'm gonna cry :cry: I just want to do what's best for her.
honestly if your dog is doing good on it then id keep feeding it or mix it with something else with lower protein if it scares you. ive mixed 2 foods for sarah before. sarah is on freeze dried raw do to her allergies and thats about as much protein as you can get really and she is fine in fact doing wonderfully. do some more research on the web about it if you like. contact orijen as another poster did who was concerned about the protein content of it. acana is another way to go as i think ive stated before. its the same company just lower protein.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis

So confused :help1: She loves Orijen and I felt really bad when he told me that so of course I want to do the right thing. I felt really good having done all of my research and settling on Orijen. Think I'm gonna cry :cry: I just want to do what's best for her.

Only you know what is best for her. In my experience the important thing is that she eats. Buying the best food on the planet means nothing if she won't eat it. But you shouldn't be afraid of proteins at all. That's a myth that probably came about because 20 years ago, people with animals with kidney damage were told to put them on a low protein diet. I guess someone somewhere made the connection that protein = bad for kidneys. Now we know that animals with kidney damage (as well as healthy senior dogs) require moderate to high protein to stop the body from leeching calcium from the bones. It's not the quantity, it's the quality of protein that makes the difference but even the worst forms won't harm a healthy animal. The body uses what it needs and excretes the rest onto your lawn. :walk: (ha! always wanted to use that smiley) The body needs both protein and phosphorous and of the 2, only phosphorous is bad for the kidneys if and only if there is existing damage to those organs.

My sweetie head was born with broken kidneys and is in kidney failure. Her blood is tested every month and not once has any blood test come back with higher than normal levels of protein. In fact, I think the only level that has remained steady and perfectly in the middle of in the safe zone is protein. Only now that she has become uremic have I been told to restrict her protein intake and that is only because of what they like to call "natural progression of the disease".

Research protein and make your own conclusions. I'm not allowed to post links but there are excellent writeups about it. I can PM you a couple of you like.

Dubbiedog

Community Veteran
Apr 29, 2012
Beautiful Sarasota, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Dublin

Only you know what is best for her. In my experience the important thing is that she eats. Buying the best food on the planet means nothing if she won't eat it. But you shouldn't be afraid of proteins at all. That's a myth that probably came about because 20 years ago, people with animals with kidney damage were told to put them on a low protein diet. I guess someone somewhere made the connection that protein = bad for kidneys. Now we know that animals with kidney damage (as well as healthy senior dogs) require moderate to high protein to stop the body from leeching calcium from the bones. It's not the quantity, it's the quality of protein that makes the difference but even the worst forms won't harm a healthy animal. The body uses what it needs and excretes the rest onto your lawn. :walk: (ha! always wanted to use that smiley) The body needs both protein and phosphorous and of the 2, only phosphorous is bad for the kidneys if and only if there is existing damage to those organs.

My sweetie head was born with broken kidneys and is in kidney failure. Her blood is tested every month and not once has any blood test come back with higher than normal levels of protein. In fact, I think the only level that has remained steady and perfectly in the middle of in the safe zone is protein. Only now that she has become uremic have I been told to restrict her protein intake and that is only because of what they like to call "natural progression of the disease".

Research protein and make your own conclusions. I'm not allowed to post links but there are excellent writeups about it. I can PM you a couple of you like.

Thanks to all who responded. I feel good about sticking with the Orijen and have contacted the company also. Have read their articles too. Any additional info. would be great so please feel free to PM me. My husband will be pleased as he really like the Orijen ( not that he has eaten it :nonono:) but he felt Dublin was doing just great on it.

Most Reactions