Real Name
    Ali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Orijen, TOTW or Fromm

franklin had a bad reaction from Fromm gold he had the for 6 days no matter what I did pumpkin more of his old food he got bumps all over. an A yeast infection on his tail I changed his food to blue wilderness sensitive an in one day his poo is better 5 days his bumps an yeast is almost gone. So just be careful some can't have chicken or chicken meal.

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Orijen, TOTW or Fromm - allergy problems

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbiedog View Post
    We have a great pet supply store here and I spoke to the owner's son about Orijen and he said that it was really meant for "working dogs" and dogs with high energy and due to the amount of phosphorous in our water here ( Florida) and the phosphorous related to the protein in Orijen that it is not meant for Bullies due to causing Kidney problems.

Protein does not cause kidney damage. Phosphorous does not cause it either. Phosphorous will aggravate an already existent condition but neither will cause healhy kidneys to fail.

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ann
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dublin
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post
    Protein does not cause kidney damage. Phosphorous does not cause it either. Phosphorous will aggravate an already existent condition but neither will cause healhy kidneys to fail.
    So confused She loves Orijen and I felt really bad when he told me that so of course I want to do the right thing. I felt really good having done all of my research and settling on Orijen. Think I'm gonna cry I just want to do what's best for her.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

So confused She loves Orijen and I felt really bad when he told me that so of course I want to do the right thing. I felt really good having done all of my research and settling on Orijen. Think I'm gonna cry I just want to do what's best for her.
    honestly if your dog is doing good on it then id keep feeding it or mix it with something else with lower protein if it scares you. ive mixed 2 foods for sarah before. sarah is on freeze dried raw do to her allergies and thats about as much protein as you can get really and she is fine in fact doing wonderfully. do some more research on the web about it if you like. contact orijen as another poster did who was concerned about the protein content of it. acana is another way to go as i think ive stated before. its the same company just lower protein.

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Only you know what is best for her. In my experience the important thing is that she eats. Buying the best food on the planet means nothing if she won't eat it. But you shouldn't be afraid of proteins at all. That's a myth that probably came about because 20 years ago, people with animals with kidney damage were told to put them on a low protein diet. I guess someone somewhere made the connection that protein = bad for kidneys. Now we know that animals with kidney damage (as well as healthy senior dogs) require moderate to high protein to stop the body from leeching calcium from the bones. It's not the quantity, it's the quality of protein that makes the difference but even the worst forms won't harm a healthy animal. The body uses what it needs and excretes the rest onto your lawn. (ha! always wanted to use that smiley) The body needs both protein and phosphorous and of the 2, only phosphorous is bad for the kidneys if and only if there is existing damage to those organs.

My sweetie head was born with broken kidneys and is in kidney failure. Her blood is tested every month and not once has any blood test come back with higher than normal levels of protein. In fact, I think the only level that has remained steady and perfectly in the middle of in the safe zone is protein. Only now that she has become uremic have I been told to restrict her protein intake and that is only because of what they like to call "natural progression of the disease".

Research protein and make your own conclusions. I'm not allowed to post links but there are excellent writeups about it. I can PM you a couple of you like.

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ann
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dublin
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post
    Only you know what is best for her. In my experience the important thing is that she eats. Buying the best food on the planet means nothing if she won't eat it. But you shouldn't be afraid of proteins at all. That's a myth that probably came about because 20 years ago, people with animals with kidney damage were told to put them on a low protein diet. I guess someone somewhere made the connection that protein = bad for kidneys. Now we know that animals with kidney damage (as well as healthy senior dogs) require moderate to high protein to stop the body from leeching calcium from the bones. It's not the quantity, it's the quality of protein that makes the difference but even the worst forms won't harm a healthy animal. The body uses what it needs and excretes the rest onto your lawn. (ha! always wanted to use that smiley) The body needs both protein and phosphorous and of the 2, only phosphorous is bad for the kidneys if and only if there is existing damage to those organs.

My sweetie head was born with broken kidneys and is in kidney failure. Her blood is tested every month and not once has any blood test come back with higher than normal levels of protein. In fact, I think the only level that has remained steady and perfectly in the middle of in the safe zone is protein. Only now that she has become uremic have I been told to restrict her protein intake and that is only because of what they like to call "natural progression of the disease".

Research protein and make your own conclusions. I'm not allowed to post links but there are excellent writeups about it. I can PM you a couple of you like.
    Thanks to all who responded. I feel good about sticking with the Orijen and have contacted the company also. Have read their articles too. Any additional info. would be great so please feel free to PM me. My husband will be pleased as he really like the Orijen ( not that he has eaten it ) but he felt Dublin was doing just great on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads