General Question Canidae brand dogfood

Wrangler

Jul 17, 2012
O H I O
Bulldog(s) Names
Linus
Does anyone use canidae brand foods? Our local feedstore carries it and I saw it was listed as a 4star food on the list. My concern is I am getting conflicting information as to whether or not diamond manufactures it. I have read that they do, that they did and that they didn't....lol... So which is it? Any body have an opinion on this food?

OP
Wrangler

Wrangler

Jul 17, 2012
O H I O
Bulldog(s) Names
Linus
No one feeds it?? Anyone have a thought on it? Don't be shy?! ;-)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok here is your answer to your question about if diamond makes it. apparently some of their food is manufactured by diamond but not all. i have not fed this food before but i have heard good things about it but i have seen this food kinda go downhill as far as ingredients in the past few years. having said that for me i would not feed a food that came out of a diamond plant. so it seems it depends where you live and which canidae food you feed. there were several listed in the recall. i will list them to below.
CANIDAE Dry Dog Foods are manufactured at several plants across the US. Some products are manufactured for CANIDAE by Diamond Pet Foods, at their Gaston, South Carolina plant. This plant has recently recalled some of its Diamond brand products due to the potential for Salmonella contamination.
There have been no positive test results for Salmonella on CANIDAE products. There have been no complaints of illness reported to us.
CANIDAE has made the decision to voluntarily recall from the market place a specific and limited production run of products manufactured at the Diamond South Carolina facility from December 9, 2011, through January 31, 2012.
The only CANIDAE products subject to this recall are as follows. No canned products, cat food products or treats are being recalled. Only a limited production run of these dry dog foods products manufactured in the Diamond South Carolina facility from December 9, 2011, through January 31, 2012 are being recalled:
· CANIDAE Dog Dry Dog Food, All Life Stages
· CANIDAE Dog Dry Dog Food, Chicken Meal & Rice
· CANIDAE Dog Dry Dog Food, Lamb Meal & Rice
· CANIDAE Dog Dry Dog Food, CANIDAE Platinum

Last edited:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I personally wouldnt feed Canadie to Brutus. Its listed as a 4 star and the ingredients arent all that great! There is much better food you can choose from in the same price range...Is there a reason you were wanting to go with a 4 star?

OP
Wrangler

Wrangler

Jul 17, 2012
O H I O
Bulldog(s) Names
Linus
I personally wouldnt feed Canadie to Brutus. Its listed as a 4 star and the ingredients arent all that great! There is much better food you can choose from in the same price range...Is there a reason you were wanting to go with a 4 star?

Well here's my thoughts on why I was looking at canidae brand

Lola and moxie appear to me to be suffering from a little bit of allergic reaction...watery eyes, tear stains, redness to face and undersides. Right now they are on Purina brand......crap I know....didn't even know bulldogs could have food allergies until I found this forum and started reading. Lola has been on and off medication for her symptoms for over a year. The vet said that Purina is a , and I quote "great and nutritionally balanced food". And that there is no reason to change food as the first way to tell if a food is not good is coat, and both lola and moxie have great shiny coats.
i would like to try something that is rated better, but I cannot afford some of the higher end foods. The local feed store sells canidae(several varieties), TOTW(several varieties), Nutro, royal canin English bulldog diet, and I think one or two others. I was curious about the canidae as I can buy a large bag of the all stages for about 45.00. This would allow me to change away from corn based food to see if that is what is causing her the problems. I would like to gradually move her around and see where her allergies are starting with grain types. TOTW is grain free and I don't want to make to jump to that if it is not nessisary. Does that make sense? It could very well be that is where I eventually end up but I don't want to jump to it if I can avoid it.

But thank you for your replies and information so far!

Trace

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=5443]Wrangler[/MENTION] hey there again well canidae is not awful food for sure. the grain free canidae is the best but if you would rather not do that then thats your choice. just a note that alot of bullies do better on grain free. also not sure if you know this but totw is also manufactured by diamond pet foods. just wondering what other brands they have there? nothing wrong with being on a budget for sure. ill help you all i can.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
[MENTION=5443]Wrangler[/MENTION] I totally understand...The vets usually dont understand nutrition I know it doesnt sound right but its true...The symptoms you are stating is definatley allergies and most likely from the food...You can switch to grain free and just check the ingredients and make sure the first at least 5 ingredients are meat and not byproduct or corn, soy...There are good foods that are rated 5. I had Brutus on lamb/rice(grain) he had all the same symtoms once I siwtched to grain free he no longer had any allergies what so ever...Hope this helps and [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] is the food guru so she has the best advice :)

:hmm: Can we get some pictures :) Would love to see your babies

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Have you considered Natural Balance LID? They have grain free varieties as well as several flavors that do not have chicken and they are in a middle price range. Thoughts on this food [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well ok to be honest im not thrilled with natural balance limited ingredient diets. they have way to low of protein for me and cost to much for what it is imo. can you get earthborn holistic? its not as expensive as some and is a good food. well i like the grain free ones anyway. nutrisource has some food that are ok and not to expensive. well i used the grain free on that one to.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.