Help Needed! Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Turkey

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Hi all! I have been on the roller coaster of food for my kids - puppy year was Wellness puppy, then as adults I have tried Royal Canin Bulldog-specific food (diaster; immediate diarrhea, brutal skin fold infections (I am talking pus) despite regular cleaning... then onto Fromm Whitefish and Potato (great in every aspect EXCEPT noticeable rusty/red tears stains and paws turning reddish... I am thinking there is a potato starch allergy here (proliferation of yeast?), so I have switched them now to Nature's Variety limited ingredient turkey meal. I went with the LI because of reduced protein (as well as potato-free). I am hoping this will help with the tears (my female is bad for really scratching her folds, hers are very deep and she has scratched her eye/tear fold bloody at times :( I am only in day 3 of fully on this food after transitioning, and I concerned about some aspects I have seen on the internet (dontcha love google)!

I have added a daily probiotic since there is no mention of probiotics in this food....

Does anyone else use this food specifically? Did it help with a potential yeast problem? Any issues with constipation or diarrhea?

I want them sorted out asap on a proper food that will be perfect for them *their health is my top priority* and I cannot bear the thought of them suffering for a second!!!

Any discussion is very greatly appreciated, thank you so much!!

:help1:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Yes, I use it and have for quite a while.

It made a tremendous difference with my yeasty bulldogs and they look great. I haven't had a tear stain problem in years!

It does tend to make them constipated so I add water to their food when I feed (it also releases the aromas) and mix in some soft food on top for the morning feeding to loosen them up. The plus side is very little poop and it barely stinks!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If the folds on the face are infected and not just bacterial build up you may need prescription ointment like Panalog. These probably won't heal quickly on a food change.

I believe all NVI has probiotics but not in the guaranteed analysis. So who knows exactly how much is in it. Yogurt is a good idea to add.

I sure hope we can help :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
I have recently switched my 7 month old girl, Olive, to this dog food and so far she's done well. I do moisten it and give a dab of yogurt with it. I did make the switch gradually over about a two week time period just to avoid tummy issues and diarrhea. Good Luck!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Also, one thing I forgot to add, it has coconut oil in it as well, which is supposed to be good for the skin.

OP
Momma2Bullies

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
Thank you so much everyone! I feel better knowing others have had success with this food.

Layla's tear folds don't appear infected, just really red and seem to be itching her. I am keeping a close eye on them though.

I am also really watching for the constipation thing - so far so good (in fact, softer stools) but that might change I know.... :)

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Remember too that it can take a few weeks to see how she will do on this particular food. The issues from the last food will need to work themselves out. I would stay on this for a while before you make any more changes.

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] is right, [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] might have some more info on this food.

Good luck!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh i am here finally. i have used this food before the regular and the lid food. i like this limited ingredient one very much because it is just that limited. ive seen several that were supposedly limited but had all this stuff in it. also what i like about this food is that it has a good amount of protein. to many of the lid foods are very low in protein which i do not care for. now when my bully was on the regular nvi she had some very small hard stools. ive heard of some having some constipation but some canned food or giving them ice cubes or some form of extra water usually clears it up. i have heard of the occasional dog that has diarrhea on this food but not very often. it will take a bit to see if this is going to help or not. keep us updated.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I just bought a bag of this tonight for Otis. On everyone's advice, I added some chicken broth and yogurt to it. Big fat head ate all around the yogurt tho lol

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I just bought a bag of this tonight for Otis. On everyone's advice, I added some chicken broth and yogurt to it. Big fat head ate all around the yogurt tho lol
:secret: one of my bostons doesnt like yogurt either.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My dogs get NVI Limited Ingredient Turkey. I tried different kinds but have now decided to come back to this food as it seems to be the best all around food for all three of my dogs. No problems with poo either.

daphne18

Aug 4, 2012
Houston, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
I am new to English Bulldogs, but I will list every different food that I have used. She came to me eating Iam's puppy. I immediately transitioned (slowly) to Nature's Logic. She began to get a rash on her tummy plus very loose stools. I have read other people having the loose stool problem on this food, so I transitioned her to the Nature's Variety Instinct Turkey and I believe Duck (grain free). The rash persisted and spread a bit further into her armpits. The vet had to give a couple rounds of antibiotics with hydroxyzine. Since Nature's Variety and others recommend switching out the kibble proteins to avoid allergies, I did this after two months. I switched to their Beef and Lamb. Everything went downhill very quickly. I had to get her into vet. She had two severely yeast infected ears. The vet said that he felt she had food allergies and I needed to switch to a LID kibble and allergy test her at a year. I immediately switched her to the Nature's Variety Salmon only protein. Within one week the fur on her face turned red along with her tail pocket, belly, and female parts. I started researching and noticed that some dogs have a reaction (such as yeast) to tapioca which was in all three of the foods I tried. It is also the second ingredient of the LID Turkey kibble. I know many bulldogs do great on this food. I guess Sadie is especially sensitive. I have started her on raw chicken and so far so good. The rash has disappeared. The yeast has subsided, but not gone. I did try to feed her some raw turkey yesterday and the rash returned. I am betting on a turkey allergy which I think is strange since turkey seems so much like chicken. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know in case you have a problem. It might be the tapioca and not the protein.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online