General Question Food amount

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I have read on here about 1/2 a cup to 3/4 a cup 3 times a day so my question is which one is better for a puppy that will be 8 weeks on monday? Lola was on medication and wasnt eating much while on it not even a half a cup per serving now she has been off the medication for 2 days and is acting starving! I give her the half cup 3x a day but today for breakfast she sat at the food bag and cried after she ate her 1/2 cup so for lunch I gave her 3/4 a cup. She is just getting over having the runs and yesterday and today they have been more solid not to where they should be but we are headed that direction so I dont want to over feed her and have that come back. So should I stay with the 1/2 cup for a while or up it?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Wow! This must've gotten lost!! Sorry you didn't get any responses! Just remember..Bully's are always hungry..or they THINK they are. At 8 weeks..I was feeding jake 1/2 cup 3 x a day. You can certainly do 3/4 cup 3 times a day too! Keep in mind..if they get too much food..they can get soft or runny :poo:. If this happens just decrease her food to the 1/2 cup 3 times a day! You can also add 1 tsp of canned pumpkin to Her kibble twice a day..that will help her poo not be runny or soft. Not the pie filling..100% pumpkin..it's great to keep on hand too!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] said! By 4 months you should increase slowly to about 3 cups per day. At around a year it's time to cut back to about 2 cups a day, once you start seeing them pack on weight. Of course these guidelines are estimated and are if you are using a quality kibble :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Thanks everyone! Lola still has the runs and has had them since the day I got her! Today is day 3 off her meds and she still has the runs! She will have like soft serve first thing in the morning then like water the rest of the day. What can be causing this? I am taking her back to the vet on the 9th but wondering if I should call before then? Also today she did well on 1/2 cup three times a day and didnt act hungry.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im not sure as i dont remember what she was taking meds for. ive heard of puppies having this for a bit and i dont think you have had her long. has the vet checked for parasites or anything that might be causing the diarrhea. id keep her at 1/2 cup and see if her :poo: firms up in a bit. if she was taking antibiotics i believe they can cause this also.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would get a fecal done at the vets to make sure there is no parasites....

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Yes I have tried the pumpkin and today she had good poop so I hope it keeps up. The meds she was on does cause the runs and she has been off them a few days now so I think she is getting better. I wormed her last night and that didnt give her the runs today so hopefully we are on the right track! We see the vet the 9th and they do a stool check everytime they give shots so we shall she if everything is cleared up or not!:begging:

Members online