Help Needed! New puppy food recommendations.

Bugsy McLovin

Jul 31, 2012
Schuylkill Haven, Pennsylvania, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Bugsy McLovin
My new bully comes this weekend and I am now in a state of panic as to what food to get. Apparently after looking up ratings the food I've been feeding my poor Jacks is crap. :pouting:

I want to keep the protein low for the Jacks (they are 4 and 2 years old) and also low protein for the bully as I know a high protein isn't so good for them. I'd like to stay under 28%, feed grain free to all of them and get the most bang for my buck (yes I know a bag is going to cost $40+ and up).

I've narrowed it down to many of the favorites you all use so wondering what your thoughts are to feed them all the same?

1. Fromm Tunalini
2. TOTW Pacific Stream (little worried bc of recalls)
3. Earthborn holistic meadow feast
4. Nature's recipe salmon & sweet potatoe
5. Nature's variety instinct diet lamb meal (yes I know it's diet, but it's the only way to be at close to my 28% protein or lower...this is 29%.)

I'm leaning towards Natures recipe, earthborn and totw the most. I am wanting to never have to deal with itchy skin, yeast or tear stains. Haaa! I'm not asking for much right?!? :lol:

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..the odds of you picking the right food off the bat are NOT in your favor! :ROFL: and I'll be willing to bet..your Jack Russell's will be Easy Peasy compared to your Bully. bravo for you for making the change.. We have a member who is very good and extremely helpful with picking food! I I'll tag her and she will see this ..probably tomorrow! @cowsmom

OP
Bugsy McLovin

Bugsy McLovin

Jul 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Bugsy McLovin
Thank you so much! The jacks are super easy with care, but the only time their brains slow down is when they are sleeping (but even then!!! Ahh!)

I know it's probably going to be trial and error so hoping I get it first try. Ha!

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Fromm is the way to go I tried wellness, Orijen then we finally went to Fromm beef frittata and will never look back. After 2 weeks on Fromm Bongos poops were solid no farting and tear stains were gone it's awesome.

Sent from my iPad
Frank & Bongo

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I chose Fromm Beef Frittatta for Brutus as a lot of bullies do good on it and its a great food. The good thing is you can transistion through Fromm flavors with little to no transistion. You should start on Fromm Puppy until about 16 weeks and then you can switch to all stages.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok i dont think much of natures recipe and totw has to many recalls for my liking. fromm is a good choice and i would start with a puppy food first to and then go to something else. alot of peeps stay away from chicken as for some reason some bullies have trouble with it. doesnt mean your will just throwing that out there for when you pick an all stages food and just be on the lookout. when you pick and all stages food out of the ones you said id stick with natures variety, fromm, and earthborn. 30 percent is a good starting point for protein and i would not go below 25 really but thats just me. good luck and just ask if you have any more questions. oh and i think the fromm puppy is the fromm gold not the 4 star.

OP
Bugsy McLovin

Bugsy McLovin

Jul 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Bugsy McLovin
Thank you all so much. I was aware of staying away of the chicken which is why I was a bit concerned with the Fromm Gold puppy. It has fresh chicken and chicken fat. Honestly I think the pup would do better on nature's variety instinct lamb, Fromm salmon tunalini or Earthborn Meadowfeast. They aren't puppy, but the amount of protein is good and definitely still worthy for all life stage.
Now to just narrow my choice and price down! ;)
Thanks!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thank you all so much. I was aware of staying away of the chicken which is why I was a bit concerned with the Fromm Gold puppy. It has fresh chicken and chicken fat. Honestly I think the pup would do better on nature's variety instinct lamb, Fromm salmon tunalini or Earthborn Meadowfeast. They aren't puppy, but the amount of protein is good and definitely still worthy for all life stage.
Now to just narrow my choice and price down! ;)
Thanks!!

Jake went on an All Stage Food right away. I started weaning him from IAMS :eek: to Fromm when he came home..unfortunately it took awhile to figure out..he was sensitive to chicken..then some more time to see "no salmon".. We've landed on Earthborne Great Plains and doing fine..but I'm not certain if Earthborne is All Stages?? Might be ..I just don't know!

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Guinness was on fromm puppy gold and did UNBELIEVABLE on it, face pearly white and his coat was very nice. I know I am only one opinion. Tons of great advice on here

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I had Linus on the puppy formula and then switched him to Fromm 4* Beef Frittata. To be honest, we chose the Beef because we had to have Maggie on it and it was easier to have Daddy on it to, and then Linus just was added to it too.

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Bongo is on the Fromm 4 star beef frittata the four star is Grain free and all stages so he can go on it right away. You can go from flavor to flavor within the same Fromm food like if your on four star you can switch those flavors within 4star without transitioning but you can't go from Fromm gold to Fromm 4star without transitioning because 1 is grain free and one isn't. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad
Frank & Bongo

KaidasMom

Jun 25, 2012
Anchorage, AK
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Kaida
I couldn't decide either when we brough Kaida home, so I mixed both Avoderm puppy and fromm 4 star Nutritionals Beef Frittata (grain free) together. Crazy? Maybe. She has a bag of Fromm 4 star grain free game bird recipe up next. Not sure If I'll continue to mix Avoderm Puppy in or not when her current mix is finished.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
it is my understanding that puppies do not show allergies until much later on so i think you would be ok starting on fromm puppy but if you dont wish to id say the fromm or the earthborn meadowfeast should be good. i hesitate with nvi for such a young pup but thats just me. its so exciting getting a new pup.

Mountainlover

Jun 19, 2012
North Carolina
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
We bought 4 star chicken...did we buy the wrong thing? The store we went to didn't have much to choose from. Is this an all stage food or for adults only?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.