Help Needed! Prescription science diet?

Celinax87

Jul 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nny
Hello everyone. I am new here and I'm also a new mommy to a new bullie baby. He is 9 weeks old and has a little bit of loose stools. The vet gave me a prescription for prescription science diet I.d but Iam not sure if that is a good choice for english bulldogs. He goes back n forth from having a normal stool to a loose stool. Any input from any of you bullie lovers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I can tell you that id looks and smells like crap. I can also tell you that my girl wouldn't touch it. The stool is just loose? Why not try some pumpkin instead?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hey there! IMO SD is garbage food. The vets push that bc they make commission. I am on my phone so I can't post the link but you can search food recommendations on the home page and it will help you choose. Alot of members including myself love Fromm. Have you had the stools checked for parasites/bacteria? Have you switched the food from what the breeder was giving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so that explains my grammar :)

OP
C

Celinax87

Jul 28, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Nny
Thanks everyone. yea I really didnt wanna give him the SD because i've always heard mixed reviews. He has been tested for parasites/bacteria and the results were negative. I do wanna give the pumpkin a try, how much should I give him? Thanks again!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Thanks everyone. yea I really didnt wanna give him the SD because i've always heard mixed reviews. He has been tested for parasites/bacteria and the results were negative. I do wanna give the pumpkin a try, how much should I give him? Thanks again!

You can give him 1tbsp on his food. Hope everything gets better. Would love to see pictures of your little guy :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
May be just too much food, even 1/4 cup too much can upset their little digestive systems. Also that food is Yucky, I would switch but wait until the poo sorts out if possible.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
First, :smileywelcome: to EBN

I'm glad you came to EBN for help. Believe it or not vets usually are not to well versed in what is good food for bullies. I think cutting back on your babies food a little may help but getting him/her on a quality food will do wonders for your puppy. It is important to switch them slowly tho.
Doing a slow transition is so their tummy doesn't get upset from the difference in ingredients in the old and new foods. It basically is feeding 1/4 new food mixed with 3/4 old for for about a week, then mix 1/2 and 1/2 old and new for another week. Then 3/4 new food and 1/4 old food for another week before feeding 100% new food. Along the way, if your bullie starts to get loose poo you may want to back up a little on the mixture for a while longer before preceding.
Also, I had a discussion with a rep from Earthborn a few weeks ago and he said that whenever he transitions from one food to another he adds a couple tablespoons of canned pumpkin to the mix. Make sure you get canned pumpkin NOT pumpkin pie mix. And probably one tablespoon per serving is plenty to add. Said he never has a soft poo issue doing it that way. Hope this helps.
Thanx for joining

Chevys Mama

Jul 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Chevy
Hi there. My advice might not be the most helpful, but I am someone who learns from collecting it all and sorting it through. So....we, too, are new parents of a Bullie baby. Well, ours is growing faster than ever....he is actually turning 5 months next week. We have had this puppy food debate, almost non-stop since we got him. But the one thing that has remained consistent with us, and the information I have researched, collected and heard, is that holisitic puppy and dog foods are best for Bullies. My pup was initially on Royal Canin from the breeder....stayed on that for roughly the first 8 weeks of his life. We weren't thrilled with it and weaned him off by introducing in Blue Buffalo. That seemed to be way too rich for him, so we then tried Nutro Ultra puppy (which we should have never bought, as rice was a top three ingredient....and a wonderful breeder steered us clear of that). Unfortunately we had to subject him to the different foods, but we were fortunate to have found one that seems to be a perfect fit: Wellness Core Grain-Free Puppy (purchased at PetSmart). We have been very pleased with his taking to the food and with his stools (very well digested and not a lot of waste). Hope this info helps and good luck w/ your baby!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.