General Question My Glutton Dog

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
Rufus is on ProPlan (breeder started & if it ain't broke...) We work so he has a 1cup at breakfast (5:15ish) I get home at 3pm and he has supper at 5-6pm. Supper is usually 1-1.5 cups. He does well with pottying, stools are a nice firmness, is doing good w/open crate/pee pads (hardly uses the pads).

My concern is that I either have a battle holding supper time at 6 or he eats early & is hungry again about 7pm. Would it be bad to do an early supper at say 4pm then a "bedtime snack" at 6-7

His weight is good- for now...I just don't want to create weight issues. I don't know the balance between full healthy puppy and glutton rollie pollie puppy:lol:

Also could he be one of those dogs that will eat every time food bowl goes down?! lol

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
You could always feed half of his dinner at 4pm, the other half at 6-7pm. Or, give him a light bedtime snack. I feed my boys their dinner between 5-6pm usually, and then a "dessert" of apple slices at 7-8pm.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=4913]Kassie[/MENTION]...There are no hard and fast rules concerning feeding times, etc., just as
with human babies, fur babies have different needs and so Rufus is hungry...give
that hungry boy some food! If it were me, I'd feed 1 cup at 5am, 1 cup at 3pm
& 1 cup at 7-8pm. Since you're feeding Proplan, add a couple slices of apple,peeled
or a couple baby carrots or green beans for snack times. Chose ONE for his snacks
and feed a couple weeks before adding a different snack item, this way it's easy to
know of any reactions and what it's attributed to. Because he IS a puppy, he has
energy to burn, don't worry so much, Mom...enjoy your new baby! Texas Carol

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Maybe the ProPlan is part of the problem? A higher quality food will keep him fuller, longer. :yes:

OP
Kassie

Kassie

May 15, 2012
Alabama
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus McGee
Today has gone smoother...with an evening snack lol

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes sometimes sarah is hungry more than others. i will split dinner into 2 feedings one at dinner and one a few hours later. some feed dinner then do a snack later. it could be the pro plan is not filling him up to. ive had foods fill sarah up more than others have. sounds like things are going better.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I would try and find a higher quality food. Sometimes with the low quality foods you have to feed more. How old is Rufus? Puppies should be eating more than 2 cups a day IMO....

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If he is under 6 months of age I would feed him 3 times a day. 3/4 to 1 cup each feeding. If his poop starts to get a little soft cut back on the food a little.

Most Reactions