Help Needed! Here I go again.......

Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno & Gidget
My question is related to the food Taste of the Wild High Prairie & Sierra Mountain Canine Formula.

Ingrediets:
Bison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product,dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
Analysis:
Protein: 32% Minimum, Fat: 18% Minimum
Calcium: 2.1%, as-fed; Phosphorus: 1.4%, as-fed
Calories: 3,719 kcal/kg (370 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy
Is this too high in protein? Bruno is not a particularly active bully so I'm concerned that this may too high in protein. What is a good level of protein? It's a 6 star rating and available in Australia. As some of you know, Boo is currently on Hills ZD Low Allergen, which is only a 1 star rating. I'm looking to switch to a grain free diet, as per your advice. Fromm is not available here and Ziwipeek is way too pricey. He does itch a bit in between his toes but I took him to our vet last night and the vet said he's in pretty good shape. I'm inclined to switch his food because he doesn't even love the Hills, he eats it but never devours his food.

Help please?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I have no idea on the details of this stuff to be honest. I tagged cowsmom for her advice. I had used totw some time back and now dont remember why the switch. Cutty didnt do good on most foods really until fromm. Well he seemed ok on canidae but that was years ago before they changed their formula. He wasnt a puppy tho and also didnt have severe allergies or anything. His problems were more minute.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Ok here is my input. Totw is a good food and I used to recommend it but its manufactured by diamond pet foods n they have just recently had yet another recall. Look it up. I myself won't use it again but you can n i think others here msy still be using it. Good food questionable manufacturer. Just my 2 cents

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I use TOTW Salmon grain free. Ours wasnt part of the recall. And it works great on the SB babies so Im kind of stuck on switching to something else.

I would be worried about the potatoes in the one you are talking about especially if he is itchy. But you could try for a month or two and see.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
My question is related to the food Taste of the Wild High Prairie & Sierra Mountain Canine Formula.

Ingrediets:
Bison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product,dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
Analysis:
Protein: 32% Minimum, Fat: 18% Minimum
Calcium: 2.1%, as-fed; Phosphorus: 1.4%, as-fed
Calories: 3,719 kcal/kg (370 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy
Is this too high in protein? Bruno is not a particularly active bully so I'm concerned that this may too high in protein. What is a good level of protein? It's a 6 star rating and available in Australia. As some of you know, Boo is currently on Hills ZD Low Allergen, which is only a 1 star rating. I'm looking to switch to a grain free diet, as per your advice. Fromm is not available here and Ziwipeek is way too pricey. He does itch a bit in between his toes but I took him to our vet last night and the vet said he's in pretty good shape. I'm inclined to switch his food because he doesn't even love the Hills, he eats it but never devours his food.

Help please?

Found it

OP
Bruno and Gidget
Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno & Gidget
Thanks, this is so up and down, with Boo's skin I mean, for the last 48 hours he's been great, no licking. I suppose I'm looking for some advice on levels of protein that are considered healthy for a 2 year old bulldog?? I'm definitely wanting to go grain free, that's a no brainer. But yeah info on what to look for in the protein area would be good. Anyone?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok protein is a hot topic really. i used to be afraid of to much protein but sometimes i think the dog has stomach upset or whatever from the ingredients and maybe not so much the protein amount. having said that most stay around 25-35 percent protein. sarah did really well around 30 when she was on kibble. depends on the dog really.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.