Help Needed! water concern

CharlieFL

Jul 16, 2012
Fort Lauderdale
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
My bully is only 9 weeks old and he has some tear stains.. i contacted the breeder and he told me that it might be the water that has too many minerals, is that possible?
What i do is boil the water and then i will give it to him.. should I do that or change his water? tks

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ive heard of peoples bullies having tears stains and they use filtered water and they went away and sometimes they didnt but i like the idea of filtered water so i use it even though sarah does not have that problem. i have a pur water filter on my tap and use it for the water bowl. they have one you use in the refidgerator also. [MENTION=5435]CharlieFL[/MENTION]

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
With Kain his eyes watered more until I found the right food for him, also had breathing sounds and coughing symptoms etc. Wow looking back on it all I'm happy I switched foods now.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
My bully is only 9 weeks old and he has some tear stains.. i contacted the breeder and he told me that it might be the water that has too many minerals, is that possible?
What i do is boil the water and then i will give it to him.. should I do that or change his water? tks

That is absolutely possible!!

My Abby was born with kidney failure. She has an entire team of doctors working for her and the first thing every one of them asked me was "where do you get her water?" I'll never forget the look on her internists face when she thought I was about to say from the sink :laugh: The fact that everyone was so concerned with the public water supply freaked me out so bad that the ONLY thing we use sink water for is doing dishes.

I have a filter that goes from the sink to the refrigerator then it's filtered BY the refrigerator and her water bowl has it's own filter. But we still use bottled water LOL

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart

Sorry but Boiling water wont do anything for the minerals in it, unless you are 'distilling' and capturing the steam, and letting it cool down a coil, back into water again. The minerals are heavier than the steam, that is why 'Distilled' water is better for water features, or steam irons etc.. no mineral build up.
I HIGHLY Suggest filtered water, if you dont have a filtration system on your fridge. just buy a Brita pitcher or 2 :)
Switching to a grainfree food can help also.

But if the bully is tearing, their will be tear stains :/

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Yep, the mineral in water is a big culprit. Wilson had horrible chin stains and Emma started with the chin and tear stain at 8 weeks too. She's 7.5 months old now and her chin is a bit rusty. I'm also using Malaket wipes once a week for her. I use filter water from our fridge and metal dogs bowls.

Another thing is puppies are teething for the next several months and they can have water eyes and staining due to that. And food can be a huge culprit. That's a bit trickier to figure out.

I find it more common than uncommon for bullies to have staining and sometimes just depend on where you live. Change the water first since that's the easiest and if you're using a platic water or food bowl swtich them out to metal. Wilson chin completely cleared up going to metal bowls.

OP
C

CharlieFL

Jul 16, 2012
Fort Lauderdale
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
tks for all the info... right now i do i have metal bowls for his food and water.im gonna start using bottles of water to see if this helps. Any specific water brand that is low in minerals?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.