Other Our switch to Earthborn

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
At our first vet visit the day after getting Ellie Mae, our vet really pushed Purina Pro Plan when he found out that I wanted to try Earthborn. I'm sure some of it was that he carries Pro Plan, but his verbal argument was that something like 70% of breeders and people that show their EB's use Purina products. He went on to say, and point out, that the Pro Plan packaging shows that their food not only meets the AAFCO standards, but that it was tested on animals and that was the biggest thing to look for. He also went on to express how a lot of the holistic foods weren't what they claimed and 85% of their packaging was advertisement and propaganda. Well I'm stubborn anyway, but the wife lit up to what he was saying and I caved to try a bag of the Pro Plan....Happy wife, happy life.
yes.gif
Ellie Mae seemed to do fine on it except for some scratching around her ears, neck, and head....even when her collar wasn't on. As we got to the bottom of the bag, I bought a bag of Earthborn and switched her over the course of a week. She seems to be doing great on it. Following the feeding guidelines on the bag, she's actually eating about half a cup more per day of Earthborn than she was on the Pro Plan and hasn't shown scratching of any kind, poop seems solid enough, and her body shape looks really good, in my opinion anyway. From the side, she seems to have that nice profile where after the ribs, her tummy curves up slightly and looks like a healthy pup. On the Pro Plan, she was just kind of flat past her ribs.....not much definition. She gobbles it down at every feeding and seems to have a lot more energy since the switch, so I think I'll keep her on it for a couple more bags and see how she does.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well. Honestly..your vet doesn't know anything about dog food..if he thinks Purina Pro Plan is a superior food. Really? He is repeating what the company salespeople tell him..then he can pocket a nice kickback from the company for pushing their crap. And he says the biggest thing to look for is if it was tested on animals? :faint: cancer causing chemicals are tested on animals..what does that statement even mean? It's mass produced in China..using Chinese products..pushed on vets who don't have the time or in some cases..don't care..to educate themselves about what's in dog food. They pay millions of dollars to get their name splashed around show rings..but those breeders don't use it. You need to read our article on what's in dog food..next time he tries pushing any of his corporate propaganda on you..you'll know what to say.

Other than that I'm sure it's a fine food...for rats! ...:D

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Well like I said, we're on Earthborn now and I doubt I'll go with anything other than a higher quality of food. The wife lit up with what he was saying and felt we should try his advice. I caved for the 1st bag to say we tried it....Happy wife, happy life. But we'll be sticking to Earthborn for a couple more bags to see how she does.

But yeah, I agree that food probably isn't his strong suit. I was just pleased to notice some differences since switching.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well. Honestly..your vet doesn't know anything about dog food..if he thinks Purina Pro Plan is a superior food. Really? He is repeating what the company salespeople tell him..then he can pocket a nice kickback from the company for pushing their crap. And he says the biggest thing to look for is if it was tested on animals? :faint: cancer causing chemicals are tested on animals..what does that statement even mean? It's mass produced in China..using Chinese products..pushed on vets who don't have the time or in some cases..don't care..to educate themselves about what's in dog food. They pay millions of dollars to get their name splashed around show rings..but those breeders don't use it. You need to read our article on what's in dog food..next time he tries pushing any of his corporate propaganda on you..you'll know what to say.

Other than that I'm sure it's a fine food...for rats! ...:D

It really is too bad you dont have a clear opinion on this matter. :LMAO: I agree 100%. Glad you stuck to your guns and didnt listen to the vet. Sad that they arent educated better in this area. :(

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well like I said, we're on Earthborn now and I doubt I'll go with anything other than a higher quality of food. The wife lit up with what he was saying and felt we should try his advice. I caved for the 1st bag to say we tried it....Happy wife, happy life. But we'll be sticking to Earthborn for a couple more bags to see how she does.

But yeah, I agree that food probably isn't his strong suit. I was just pleased to notice some differences since switching.

Ohhhhhh! I wasn't going off at you! I appreciate the fact you are thinking for yourself! I get a bit riled up when vets especially just push crappy food because they don't know better. Makes me actually appreciate my vet even more. And Earthborne might not be the right ood or her..but it's soooooo much better than anything at your vets!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh im so glad you bought earthborn and things are better. i try and try to get my friends and such to buy better food even get them some and yet they go back to grocery store food :faint: oh well. i have a boston on earthborn. and dont mind [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] shes cranky today i hear. :peace2:

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Ohhhhhh! I wasn't going off at you! I appreciate the fact you are thinking for yourself! I get a bit riled up when vets especially just push crappy food because they don't know better. Makes me actually appreciate my vet even more. And Earthborne might not be the right ood or her..but it's soooooo much better than anything at your vets!

Definitely understand and didn't take it as you were going off on me....otherwise it'd be....:guns: :p

I'm very "particular" about things and buying pet food is one of them. I like to be able to inspect the bag to make sure that there aren't any rips or holes, so I like buying locally if I can. Since Fromm isn't available locally (about an hour and a half away is the closest), I'm giving Earthborn a shot. I love looking at the ingredients and instead of a bunch of grain and fillers as the secondary ingredients, I see sweat potato, blueberries, carrots, potato, apple, peas, spinach, etc. I'm not a big "go green" kind of guy, but I do like that they have the UPC for trees where they plant a tree for "x" number of UPC's from certain sizes of dog food. That and it seems like they actually give a hoot about the planet, so it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside like I'm doing my part.:lmao:

We've signed Ellie Mae up for a puppy kindergarten class mostly as a refresher for us since it's been almost 14 years since we had a puppy under 8 months. Well we saw that they carry Merrick, so if Earthborn doesn't work out, that will probably be our next trial.

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
oh im so glad you bought earthborn and things are better. i try and try to get my friends and such to buy better food even get them some and yet they go back to grocery store food :faint: oh well. i have a boston on earthborn. and dont mind @JAKEISGREAT shes cranky today i hear. :peace2:

I just figured the "she" meant always instead of "today" :tease: Ya learn something new everyday!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I've been to many dog shows, and I always ask everyone what they feed. Even at the Purina National Dog show that is shown on Thanksgiving Day, Nobody and I mean Nobody is feeding Purina Pro Plan, and they give it away at that dog show. They sponsor those shows, if it weren't for that, you'd never hear of them.

Just my two cents

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.