Help Needed! Any ideas to slow down their eating, besides the special bowls?

Gingersmom

May 29, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Ginger
Ginger, like so many other bulldogs, eats like she's never ate before! Even though she eats plenty every day! I'm worried about her having issues with bloat. She has also choked on her food twice now from gobbling down like crazy! She threw up one evening, and her dinner was not chewed at all what so ever!

So we went out and bought on of those special bowls, with the big nobs inside of it to slow her down. If anything it just caused her to be more anxious about getting the food out. So she was still trying to power eat it, and she still choked on it! Ugh! I can try giving her little bits at a time maybe? I'm sure that won't help her not chewing it though, and I'm sure she'll gobble whatever I put in the bowl anyway. At a loss for what to try next. I'm glad she loves her food, but geesh!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I've seen feeder toys before that you put the food inside of and they have to work to get all the food out (most have to be rolled to get the food to come out)

L

Lucy-licious

Ugh! If the slow feeder isn't working I dunno what to suggest. Someone else might have a good idea though.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I have also heard of putting a special ball in the bowl with the food.

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
I have also heard of putting a special ball in the bowl with the food.
Yes, it is called a pacer ball. I bought one on Amazon and it has really slowed Jackson down. Now instead of inhaling his food in 45 seconds, it takes him about 2 minutes. He did not like the ball at first, but eventually he realized that it wasn't going away. Before the pacer ball we used a tennis ball, but it got real stinky and slobbery. Our pacer ball is stainless steal and we wash after each meal. Jackson still throws up from time to time when he eats too fast, but it happens a lot less than before.

Another idea would be to soak his food a little to make it soft so its easier to digest and/or mix it with some warm canned food.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
You can also just give her the food or put just a little in the bowl at once. Hide it so she has to find it or feed her while training her.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Yep. Bubba has a slow feed bowl like that but only works a little. He went from about 1 min to 1:45. Inhales it too, without chewing! Thankfully, he doesn't throw up. I wait a good hour before I take him out for exercise

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
We use a large kong red ball in the dish to slow him down. He use to gag when he was young so we always dampen the food slightly still by habit.

The ball works great and he leaves it there always, it's like it's part of the dish lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I got a ball from amazon too...porcelain ..goes thru dishwasher and really helps. We left it in the mountains last weekend so I've been just dividing his food up and giving it to him in thirds. Helps..but he still eats that third too fast.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
To slow up Hershey, I put his food in a 12 part Muffin Tin - he has to work for his food, and it slows him down, especially since he cant get his face into the little tins :) you can also put the food out on a cookie sheet (with edges, or you'll have food all over the floor)

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I got a ball from amazon too...porcelain ..goes thru dishwasher and really helps. We left it in the mountains last weekend so I've been just dividing his food up and giving it to him in thirds. Helps..but he still eats that third too fast.

Kain is my dishwasher lol, he doesn't stop until everything is licked cleaner then we bought it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
The vet told me most dogs do not chew their food, so I don't worry about that to much any more. I like the muffin tin idea. Uni slowed down abit as she got older but when we got the new puppy she got way worse again.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
To slow up Hershey, I put his food in a 12 part Muffin Tin - he has to work for his food, and it slows him down, especially since he cant get his face into the little tins :) you can also put the food out on a cookie sheet (with edges, or you'll have food all over the floor)

Great idea!

Bo is still a gulper --- but "soupy" food (hot water + Wellness Canned Food + Kibble) has helped him have to "work" to get the food into his gullet. He choked once as a puppy. Scared the crap out of me.

I have one of those Kong Wobblers. I tried that route when he was a pup. He would just sit back, let Bea do all the work to get the kibbles out, and follow her and the toy around eating as fast as possible. ha ha ha

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
We got one of the balls for Winston too! As others had mentioned he didn't like it at first, in fact he refused to eat lol! It took him a few hours but he got used to it. It slowed him down soo much, before we used to ball we would put water in his food and make it soupy. That worked too but made a mess!! The ball was much cleaner! Good luck, its very scary when that happens!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.