Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruin & Lilly
    Likes (Received)

Default Food Dehydrators?

I searched the threads for anything on dehydrating foods. I found quite a few mentions of it, but I guess I'm still questioning whether I should get one or not and how they work. Do you just plop whatever food in and hit a button? Can you put anything in? Am I over thinking it?

@Twice @desertskybulldogs @savemejeebus @Sherry Just throwing a couple mentions out there since I saw you guys had dehydrators

Thanks!

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I still haven't gotten one. But I want one!!

Sent from my iPod touch using

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Food Dehydrators?

Cut the meat in thin pieces and voila!, that's it.

The thicker the meat, the longer it takes to dehydrate. My bf is the one who makes them ... my hands get too cold. lol. . He'd defrost the meat only halfway so it'll be easier to cut in really thin pieces, approx 2mm I believe. He fills about 4 or 5 trays worth then leaves it overnight for maybe 7 hours or so to dehydrate.

We use about $4 worth of meat (yes, $4!) which can last for at least a couple of weeks, depending on how much we spoil the boys. When Stig was the only one, it would last for a month or so. Don't forget to store the meat in a paper bag and leave it in the fridge so it'll stay fresh longer. You can also put it in the freezer, in a paper bag, and that's how they make freeze-dried treats.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Real Name
    Ashley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruin & Lilly
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by savemejeebus View Post
    Cut the meat in thin pieces and voila!, that's it.

The thicker the meat, the longer it takes to dehydrate. My bf is the one who makes them ... my hands get too cold. lol. . He'd defrost the meat only halfway so it'll be easier to cut in really thin pieces, approx 2mm I believe. He fills about 4 or 5 trays worth then leaves it overnight for maybe 7 hours or so to dehydrate.

We use about $4 worth of meat (yes, $4!) which can last for at least a couple of weeks, depending on how much we spoil the boys. When Stig was the only one, it would last for a month or so. Don't forget to store the meat in a paper bag and leave it in the fridge so it'll stay fresh longer. You can also put it in the freezer, in a paper bag, and that's how they make freeze-dried treats.
    Thanks!! Are you the one that suggest NOT giving liver because its too rich? I give them Purebites beef liver everyday, is that ok? They used to love NVI Lamb treats, but since I've been giving them the beef liver they give me the stink eye when I try giving them the NVI treats. They look at me like 'are you flippin crazy!? we know you've got the good stuff!"

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyWoodman View Post
    Thanks!! Are you the one that suggest NOT giving liver because its too rich? I give them Purebites beef liver everyday, is that ok? They used to love NVI Lamb treats, but since I've been giving them the beef liver they give me the stink eye when I try giving them the NVI treats. They look at me like 'are you flippin crazy!? we know you've got the good stuff!"
    Yup, I'm the one! I read that liver doesn't lose it's richness when they're dehydrated, so we buy beef/pork lungs more often. The max that rawfeeders suggest for liver is 5% of the diet.

I think in small amounts given everyday is ok. But I tend to give my boys large pieces, that's why we switched to something different. I love the purebites brand too. Have you tried the fish flavoured one? They're stinky but my boys would never pass on those. They also have duck and chicken breast available. I would alternate if your store carries them.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Real Name
    Ashley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruin & Lilly
    Likes (Received)

@savemejeebus I won't touch fish..ick. Anything else though I would. I'm not sure what my problem is with fish, I just think its the most disgusting thing ever. But lung I could do go figure. And I think Bruin might be allergic to poultry/fowl. So that leaves the liver and cheddar. I haven't tried the cheddar yet. Do you get your beef/pork lung at a butcher? I don't recall seeing that in a grocery store, of course I've never looked for it either.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyWoodman View Post
    @savemejeebus I won't touch fish..ick. Anything else though I would. I'm not sure what my problem is with fish, I just think its the most disgusting thing ever. But lung I could do go figure. And I think Bruin might be allergic to poultry/fowl. So that leaves the liver and cheddar. I haven't tried the cheddar yet. Do you get your beef/pork lung at a butcher? I don't recall seeing that in a grocery store, of course I've never looked for it either.
    lol. The fish one smelled like salt and vinegar chips, and maybe even all-dressed. If you can take those types of smells, you'll be fine.

I get the odd meat cuts from a chinese/indian market. Most ethnic markets should carry them. If not, I'm sure you can ask your butcher to save those pieces for you.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Thanks @savemejeebus , I have nothing else to add. Except................I put mine in the garage when I run it, the smell is strong. Not bad, just strong.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    Thanks @savemejeebus , I have nothing else to add. Except................I put mine in the garage when I run it, the smell is strong. Not bad, just strong.
    Oh yes, forgot to mention that. The lung isn't so bad, the liver though, that takes getting used to.

Real Name
    Ashley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruin & Lilly
    Likes (Received)

@savemejeebus @Sherry Thanks for the heads up!! I'll have to get a gas mask and a lot of candles

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I also dehydrate fruits and vegetables. I was paying 16.00 for a 3 pound bag of sweet potato treats for Abby. Now I slice the potatoes just like you would for french fries, put on the rack for 6-8 hours.. 3 pounds of treats for less than 3 bucks

We also do apples, bananas and beef strips for Roxy.

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Real Name
    Ashley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruin & Lilly
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post
    I also dehydrate fruits and vegetables. I was paying 16.00 for a 3 pound bag of sweet potato treats for Abby. Now I slice the potatoes just like you would for french fries, put on the rack for 6-8 hours.. 3 pounds of treats for less than 3 bucks

We also do apples, bananas and beef strips for Roxy.
    That's awesome...I so have to get a dehydrator!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads