General Question Food Dehydrators?

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I searched the threads for anything on dehydrating foods. I found quite a few mentions of it, but I guess I'm still questioning whether I should get one or not and how they work. Do you just plop whatever food in and hit a button? Can you put anything in? Am I over thinking it?

[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] Just throwing a couple mentions out there since I saw you guys had dehydrators

Thanks!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I still haven't gotten one. But I want one!!

Sent from my iPod touch using

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Cut the meat in thin pieces and voila!, that's it.

The thicker the meat, the longer it takes to dehydrate. My bf is the one who makes them ... my hands get too cold. lol. . He'd defrost the meat only halfway so it'll be easier to cut in really thin pieces, approx 2mm I believe. He fills about 4 or 5 trays worth then leaves it overnight for maybe 7 hours or so to dehydrate.

We use about $4 worth of meat (yes, $4!) which can last for at least a couple of weeks, depending on how much we spoil the boys. :) When Stig was the only one, it would last for a month or so. Don't forget to store the meat in a paper bag and leave it in the fridge so it'll stay fresh longer. You can also put it in the freezer, in a paper bag, and that's how they make freeze-dried treats.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Cut the meat in thin pieces and voila!, that's it.

The thicker the meat, the longer it takes to dehydrate. My bf is the one who makes them ... my hands get too cold. lol. . He'd defrost the meat only halfway so it'll be easier to cut in really thin pieces, approx 2mm I believe. He fills about 4 or 5 trays worth then leaves it overnight for maybe 7 hours or so to dehydrate.

We use about $4 worth of meat (yes, $4!) which can last for at least a couple of weeks, depending on how much we spoil the boys. :) When Stig was the only one, it would last for a month or so. Don't forget to store the meat in a paper bag and leave it in the fridge so it'll stay fresh longer. You can also put it in the freezer, in a paper bag, and that's how they make freeze-dried treats.

Thanks!! Are you the one that suggest NOT giving liver because its too rich? I give them Purebites beef liver everyday, is that ok? They used to love NVI Lamb treats, but since I've been giving them the beef liver they give me the stink eye when I try giving them the NVI treats. They look at me like 'are you flippin crazy!? we know you've got the good stuff!"

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks!! Are you the one that suggest NOT giving liver because its too rich? I give them Purebites beef liver everyday, is that ok? They used to love NVI Lamb treats, but since I've been giving them the beef liver they give me the stink eye when I try giving them the NVI treats. They look at me like 'are you flippin crazy!? we know you've got the good stuff!"

Yup, I'm the one! I read that liver doesn't lose it's richness when they're dehydrated, so we buy beef/pork lungs more often. The max that rawfeeders suggest for liver is 5% of the diet.

I think in small amounts given everyday is ok. But I tend to give my boys large pieces, that's why we switched to something different. I love the purebites brand too. Have you tried the fish flavoured one? They're stinky but my boys would never pass on those. They also have duck and chicken breast available. I would alternate if your store carries them.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] I won't touch fish..ick. Anything else though I would. I'm not sure what my problem is with fish, I just think its the most disgusting thing ever. But lung I could do :) go figure. And I think Bruin might be allergic to poultry/fowl. So that leaves the liver and cheddar. I haven't tried the cheddar yet. Do you get your beef/pork lung at a butcher? I don't recall seeing that in a grocery store, of course I've never looked for it either.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
@savemejeebus I won't touch fish..ick. Anything else though I would. I'm not sure what my problem is with fish, I just think its the most disgusting thing ever. But lung I could do :) go figure. And I think Bruin might be allergic to poultry/fowl. So that leaves the liver and cheddar. I haven't tried the cheddar yet. Do you get your beef/pork lung at a butcher? I don't recall seeing that in a grocery store, of course I've never looked for it either.

lol. The fish one smelled like salt and vinegar chips, and maybe even all-dressed. If you can take those types of smells, you'll be fine.

I get the odd meat cuts from a chinese/indian market. Most ethnic markets should carry them. If not, I'm sure you can ask your butcher to save those pieces for you.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Thanks [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] , I have nothing else to add. Except................I put mine in the garage when I run it, the smell is strong. Not bad, just strong. :blink:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks @savemejeebus , I have nothing else to add. Except................I put mine in the garage when I run it, the smell is strong. Not bad, just strong. :blink:

Oh yes, forgot to mention that. The lung isn't so bad, the liver though, that takes getting used to. :D

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] Thanks for the heads up!! I'll have to get a gas mask and a lot of candles :)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I also dehydrate fruits and vegetables. I was paying 16.00 for a 3 pound bag of sweet potato treats for Abby. Now I slice the potatoes just like you would for french fries, put on the rack for 6-8 hours.. 3 pounds of treats for less than 3 bucks :)

We also do apples, bananas and beef strips for Roxy.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I also dehydrate fruits and vegetables. I was paying 16.00 for a 3 pound bag of sweet potato treats for Abby. Now I slice the potatoes just like you would for french fries, put on the rack for 6-8 hours.. 3 pounds of treats for less than 3 bucks :)

We also do apples, bananas and beef strips for Roxy.

That's awesome...I so have to get a dehydrator!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I love our dehydrators (we love em so much we have 2! LOL). I never thought about making the dogs treats in one...hmmm....that's a wonderful idea :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
How sad, I have a dehydrator and havent used it in a couple years and never for the pups actually. Just for beef jerky for us and it works wonderfully. Although I jam it packed and it takes about 2 days for some of it and I keep rotating the meat and swapping it around as I remove the ones that dried first. The money we spend on fruits etc I really should get it out and use it for all of us.

Most Reactions