yogurt, cottage cheese, salmon oil, pumpkin oh my!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Im getting a little lost and feeling a little dumb here but I wanted to get some stuff straight lol. Ok so a lot of you are giving yogurt but what kind and how much? Also yogurt has a lot of sugar in it which cant be good for them so would cottage cheese be better and if so how much? Salmon oil is good for the skin and I am ordering that but I know I saw a post on here about pumpkin so what do you use it for and how much? Now my last question is between salmon oil, yogurt/cottage cheese, and pumpkin how to you balance it and make it to where it all fits into their diet without giving them the runs? At least all this stuff is cheap to buy so that wont be a issue was just wondering if you give yogurt one day, the next day give oil then the next pumpkin and then start over again? Thanks!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
We give Princess Gracie a heaping spoonful of Plain Greek Yogurt as an aid to her immune system every morning mixed into her Fromm Beef Frittata. That mixture is topped with 1 fish oil pill (liquid salmon oil didn't go well with her). this if for her skin and coat. Also, we give her one Cranberry pill which helps fight off UTI and this time of year, 1 Benedryl. Post breakfast HRH and I share a banana..... because we like them and they are packed with potassium. Evening kibble gets nothing added.

Edit:
Cottage cheese is yucky, I wouldn't give it to my dog,,, or me. LOL
Canned pumpkin is used for two things... if they have diarrhea or constipation... that's right, it works both ways.

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I give bacon Stonyfield Organic Whole Milk Yogurt. Serving size in one ice cube (I freeze them in the trays). Yes it does contain sugar, 12 grams, but that is in 1 cup serving no I'm not very concerned. He usually gets one every other day to break things up with his diet.

[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] - he shares my banana with me every morning too :yes:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
We give Brutus Dannon plain yogurt and he gets 1tbsp in the evening. We dont use the salmon oil and his coat is beautiful...Thanks to good kibble. He gets 2-3 times a week 1 egg in the am. Introduce these things one at a time so if he has a reaction you know what caused it. :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4676]thesspa[/MENTION]........ If you can call what HRH does sharing... I quickly bite off both ends before she attacks and gobbles up the rest :D lol

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
If you can call what HRH does sharing... I quickly bite off both ends before she attacks and gobbles up the rest :D lol
Haha she shares like my kids do! I have learned through reading this website that a lot you do is preventative and I rather do that then wait for it to get bad and have to treat issues that take time and make the pup feel bad. I never thought of a cranberry pill! That is a great idea!

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
BruceP-when you add a pill like fish oil to you poke a hole in it and put the liquid on her food or do you leave it whole? and if it is a tabled do you smash it and make it into powder?

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Don't feel overwelmed, just about all of us at one time or another have been where you are, learning about the breed. It takes time and sometimes trial and error.

I use Grizzly Salmon Oil about 4-5 times a week, once a day. I stopped once as I ran out and although their coats still stayed nice they did dull up a bit. I think at that time they were eating Blue Buffalo. They're all on Earthborn now.

I give plain greek yogurt occassionally, about a tbsp. My guys get cottage cheese and are getting it daily right now. I like to mix it up with them. They'll get carrots, apples and bananas too but not every day.

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
[MENTION=3639]Bruce[/MENTION] P quick question for you regarding fish/salmon oil. My breeder recommended that we stay away from fish (she was referring to food) from their diet since a lot of her dogs have had allergic reactions to fish so she just bans all fish from their diets. Should I avoid salmon oil due to this? Thanks!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
@Bruce P quick question for you regarding fish/salmon oil. My breeder recommended that we stay away from fish (she was referring to food) from their diet since a lot of her dogs have had allergic reactions to fish so she just bans all fish from their diets. Should I avoid salmon oil due to this? Thanks!

We started with salmon oil and HRH had what we think were reactions to it so we switched to fish oil pill and she was fine. BUT, Many many here us salmon oil and rave about it.... Guess you just have to try it and see. Salmon oil is supposed to be very good for their hair and skin.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
BruceP-when you add a pill like fish oil to you poke a hole in it and put the liquid on her food or do you leave it whole? and if it is a tabled do you smash it and make it into powder?

Its a LARGE soft capsule. We mix it in whole and she woofs it down with everything else. :luv:

OP
sweetpeasmom2008

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Oh ok lol. I guess when they are hungry they will chow down!

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Just a quick question, but at what age can/should one start the salmon oil pills and yogurt for their bullies?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i give sarah grizzly salmon oil i squirt in the am with her food. they do sell liquid flax and salmon oil so if you dont want to do pills then this maybe another way. lots of people give their fish oil pills whole or you can poke a hole in it and pour it over the food. i cant give her yogurt or cottage cheese as she is allergic to milk. some dogs are allergic to milk products so when adding these things to their diet do one at a time and see how they tolerate it. i give sarah an egg bout every couple of days. she gets an acidophilus pill once a day also since she cant have yogurt. she gets a joint pill in the pm due to her bad hip and broken leg.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.