Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I wanted to start a new topic about this dog food, because it looks like a really good option for bullies with allergies.

I know many of us tote on 'grain free' diets, but they still contain potatoes or sweet potatoes.

Chip did some looking into yeast related food issues, and so I was on a quest to find a food that did not have any of the yeasty foods. Was not easy, almost all dog foods have grains or potatoes as fillers.

Then I remembered the feed store lady telling me about Instinct food. So I looked it up, and it is actually Nature's Variety Instinct. They make it in kibble or even raw diet.

It is all meats and vegetables in the kibble. Here is the new Salmon formula, looks very tempting. 70% pure animal ingrediets and oils 30% Veggies and Fruits 0% potato, grain or gluten

http://www.naturesvariety.com/Instinct/dog/kibble/salmon

It is a bit high in protein, but probably need a LOT less food a day if it has no fillers in it. It kinda reminds me of the 'Adkins Diet'.

They also have the frozen raw or freeze dried raw diets as well.....
http://www.naturesvariety.com/InstinctRaw/dog

So, I am very tempted to try this food!!

It is also rated 6 stars.

Anyone else tried this food yet?

Instinct_dog_Kibble_group.jpg

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I thought about this one for Linus. I think it's probably a good choice and better than 99% of other foods but I decided against it because the first three ingredients were "meals" instead of "meats," which typically include lots of extraneous stuff ground up with meat, and the presence of two oil ingredients in the first 10 ingredients, which I am told can cause soft stools.

I was also concerned with the high protein content with relatively inactive dogs like bullies.

However, given California Naturals and Innova have recently been purchased by P&G, I will follow this closely since I am looking for sweet potato free, grain free options.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Sounds good but honestly, I have been toying with the idea of making my own dog food. If I was really to consider this its like why not just boil some chicken myself? Or do raw? When I look at those ingredients I essentially see: some meat, vitamin supplements and oil. The GOOD stuff, boneless skinless chicken breast from Henry's (all natural grocery store), all natural, hormone/antibitoic/steriod free goes on sale for $1.99 lbs. I could make some chicken, add some salmon oil and add a dog mulitvitamin and it would be this food only better.

Weberbulldogs

Jun 24, 2010
North Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Halo & her Baby Moose & 2 Frenchies Herschel and Margo
Photobucket

We have fed Instinct Kibble. Halo didn't do well on the chicken but we suspect a poultry allergy. We then tried the Rabbit and Halo did very well on it for a while but then her tail got a yeasty spot and her ears became yeasty :( she had never had a problem with yeasty ears or tail before so we decided to try the Turkey and Duck but within 2 weeks she developed a staph infection on her belly (hince the suspected poultry allergy :p)

When I was trying the Instinct the Salmon had just been introduced but my store wasn't carring it. They do carry it now and i think it was more expensive then the other varieties

The only thing I didn't like about the company is that the bio coating for the rabbit is sourced from china and if the rabbit formual didn't have chicken fat I maybe a bigger fan =)

http://www.naturesvariety.com/tryit for a coupon

We may give the Rabbit formula another shot in the future as she didn't have tear stains and her coat was beautiful!

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I purchased the rabbit instinct formula today, along with a package of raw patties. :)

I think my bulldogs eat better than my family!!!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Any update on this [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] ... Linus is still looking yeasty on the California Naturals Grain Free Lamb so I am looking again and thinking about trying something else.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Any update on this [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] ... Linus is still looking yeasty on the California Naturals Grain Free Lamb so I am looking again and thinking about trying something else.

How long has he been eating it? Really, you should wait at least 3 weeks before you really see the 'true results' of the food. But yes, I would think this would be better than Calif. Naturals dog food.

I was reading up on it a bit more too, and they CLAIM that giving your dog the same dog food everyday will actually cause allergies. With Instinct and Fromm, you are supposed to be able to switch around the foods without upsetting the tummy. Keep the food interesting to them, and prevent allergies from occurring. Interesting thought. I am pleased so far.

It did take a few weeks for me to see the ultimate results of Fromm, since my bullies were already on good food, the change was suttle until one day I looked at yuna who has half a black face and half a white face, and looked into her eyes, and they just look bright and glossy, and she has not a lick of yeast or tear stain on her face. Mind you, she did not ever have a REAL problem, but now she has NO problem.

She still has that scab on her head tho. It is shrinking and going away, after $xxx amount in vet bills we came to the conclusion it is just a wart. LOL

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
How long has he been eating it? Really, you should wait at least 3 weeks before you really see the 'true results' of the food. But yes, I would think this would be better than Calif. Naturals dog food.

I was reading up on it a bit more too, and they CLAIM that giving your dog the same dog food everyday will actually cause allergies. With Instinct and Fromm, you are supposed to be able to switch around the foods without upsetting the tummy. Keep the food interesting to them, and prevent allergies from occurring. Interesting thought. I am pleased so far.

It did take a few weeks for me to see the ultimate results of Fromm, since my bullies were already on good food, the change was suttle until one day I looked at yuna who has half a black face and half a white face, and looked into her eyes, and they just look bright and glossy, and she has not a lick of yeast or tear stain on her face. Mind you, she did not ever have a REAL problem, but now she has NO problem.

She still has that scab on her head tho. It is shrinking and going away, after $xxx amount in vet bills we came to the conclusion it is just a wart. LOL

Yes I suppose it has only been around 2 weeks so I will finish out the bag and see how it goes...I am already sort of looking because of the P&G buyout of that company as well. :(

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
don't think you can go wrong with any of [MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION] suggestions. Fromm, natures logic, natures variety, or merrick, in that order.

I also like avoderm as well - no bad reviews she says, but the guaranteed in writing stuff is what she looks for.

I like the instinct idea simply because it has no glueten. This is why I am trying this one too. Plus, I can get it at my closest feed store, which is very helpful!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
don't think you can go wrong with any of [MENTION=4]Lindathedogsmaid[/MENTION] suggestions. Fromm, natures logic, natures variety, or merrick, in that order.

I also like avoderm as well - no bad reviews she says, but the guaranteed in writing stuff is what she looks for.

I like the instinct idea simply because it has no glueten. This is why I am trying this one too. Plus, I can get it at my closest feed store, which is very helpful!

Linda told me the same thing about changing up the food. Going to stick with surf and turf for a while then she suggested trying the duck & potato.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

I didn't know you could switch around the flavours with FROMM. Maggie is currently on one of the four star foods, but do you know if I can occasionally give her the Fromm gold range??

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
If you are on four star Fromm you can switch within the 4 star foods.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Has anyone tried Natura Pet? They have alot of different brands for different needs. If you go to their website www.naturapet.com. You can fill out a form for a free bag of natura pet brand food of your choice up to 6.6 lbs. I am trying it with Mr. Beefy the evo Salmon and he LOVES it!!!! No Grain, Beef or Chicken.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Has anyone tried Natura Pet? They have alot of different brands for different needs. If you go to their website www.naturapet.com. You can fill out a form for a free bag of natura pet brand food of your choice up to 6.6 lbs. I am trying it with Mr. Beefy the evo Salmon and he LOVES it!!!! No Grain, Beef or Chicken.

Evo is a great food, but it has been bought by proctor and gamble, which is very sad news for a good dog food. They have a way of cutting costs and taking shortcuts and turning good foods into, well, not good foods.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.