Pooping a lot lol

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
:tease:

Don't ya love talking about poop!??

Anyways, haven't posted in a while. Been very busy and haven't had as much time as I like to b/s with all of ya. But, Lilly has been doing better and is slowly progressing. I changed her food to Nutrisca Lamb & Chick Pea last time I spoke to you all, and it seems like she's doing ok on it. She's still itchy, and scratching her ears a lot. Don't know if that is environmental or not though. But one thing that has always bothered me about her, is that she poops A LOT. Now I don't mean like a lot in terms of frequency, but a lot as in a sitting. I'd say her usual day is wake up poop, eat, poop. And at night she'll usually take another giant poop. Sometimes she'll go in the afternoon but not usually. Now when I say "giant" its usually like two piles of poop. Its like shes taking 2 poops in one sitting haha!!!

The consistency is usually healthy looking though. It can vary though, from like a firmish soft, to straight up soft serve. She loves the food and gobbles it up with gusto, but I just feel for a 32-35lb dog (keep in mind shes a mini) it's quite a bit of poo...I usually feed her a heaping cup in the morning, and a heaping cup around 7pm. I don't think I'm feeding her too much. She's been filling in nicely, and not gaining too much weight. What I don't get is its a holistic food and seems like its all coming back out again and nothing is being used...Is that just how kibble works? Or is she just not taking well to it? I had her on Merricks Granny's Pot Pie previously which gave her HORRIBLE gas, and weird poop. She also has a yeast problem, so I wanted to get her on a simplistic diet. Nutrisca is grain & potato free, so I think that's why it appealed to me. Am I just crazy and she's pooping normal and I think it's a lot? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am kinda in at a loss right now.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
How long has it been since the switch?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
I'd say since April.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yep I agree something is not right. Lilly should have nice solid, log like, tootsie roll poops by now.

I would question her ability to digest lamb well, it has a lot of lamb in it and lamb is actually considered a more 'hot' protein, (meaning more chances of an allergy reaction). What I would suggest is trying the Salmon formula, less likely an allergy to salmon.

The only problem I see with these very good carb-less diets is that they use chickpeas, peas and alfalfa meal and the last 5 or so allergy tests I have seen posted have these ingredients as an allergy.

So sometimes it is not the protein but the fillers that cause the issues.

If the change to the salmon formula does not help I would suggest Fromm, Nature's Logic or Raw Diet.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
soft serve, large poops were Bella's issue...she has many. But the internal medicine vet didn't put two and two together until he saw her Large poops for her size.

As being the always paranoid mom, and I think I have directed you to this site before. (if so, sorry, but keep it in mind please) epi4dogs.com has a lot of digestive information.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Yep I agree something is not right. Lilly should have nice solid, log like, tootsie roll poops by now.

I would question her ability to digest lamb well, it has a lot of lamb in it and lamb is actually considered a more 'hot' protein, (meaning more chances of an allergy reaction). What I would suggest is trying the Salmon formula, less likely an allergy to salmon.

The only problem I see with these very good carb-less diets is that they use chickpeas, peas and alfalfa meal and the last 5 or so allergy tests I have seen posted have these ingredients as an allergy.

So sometimes it is not the protein but the fillers that cause the issues.

If the change to the salmon formula does not help I would suggest Fromm, Nature's Logic or Raw Diet.

I tell ya, I've been thinking a lot about the raw diet. I might even be wrong and she doesn't have an allergy to chicken, and it was something else in the Merricks. I'm beginning to hate kibble. I agree that it's all the other stuff that makes kibbles hard for dogs (especially EBD's) to tolerate. But I don't know how much raw is gonna cost me, or what/how to buy. I feel like going to the supermarket to get the cuts would be crazy expensive. I live in upstate NY and there's a lot of farms around. I'm sure they're a slaughterhouse somewhere around here, but I don't know anything about that sort of thing. It just seems sort of overwhelming, and a lot to know before you go diving in.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I tell ya, I've been thinking a lot about the raw diet. I might even be wrong and she doesn't have an allergy to chicken, and it was something else in the Merricks. I'm beginning to hate kibble. I agree that it's all the other stuff that makes kibbles hard for dogs (especially EBD's) to tolerate. But I don't know how much raw is gonna cost me, or what/how to buy. I feel like going to the supermarket to get the cuts would be crazy expensive. I live in upstate NY and there's a lot of farms around. I'm sure they're a slaughterhouse somewhere around here, but I don't know anything about that sort of thing. It just seems sort of overwhelming, and a lot to know before you go diving in.

If I did not have so many family members to care for I would do it. But with 6 bullies I would need to run a lot of errands for meat at low prices and a whole freezer just for them. Maybe when my toddlers are older I will make the plunge!

Raw chicken is different from the processed stuff in kibble. Most who have chicken allergy do fine on raw with it.

You will get Exp from those who feed it soon! I think raw is a great choice for any owner!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver

I feed Bella a mix of raw patties and kibble. I have to go with a ground raw in order for her digestive enzymes to be mixed with it. I can't go all raw because it contains too much bone for her, so I mix and her poops are perfect.

Check you area for raw co-ops, you can save tons of money that way. If you want to get the "store" bought raw, then your best bet is a regional company. They use local meats and veggies, they don't outsource since they are a smaller company. Most of your big box stores will have the larger national companies and there is nothing wrong with a lot of those, but they will be much more expensive.
What ever company you go with make sure they don't use High pressure pasteurization (HPP on the label) this is a processing technique that will alter the value back down to a kibble grade.

If you are wanting to do a prey model, there are a lot of member here that use that, I am sure they will message you how to work that. Good luck

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
I decided to start feeding raw after visiting a local supermarket with all the meat I'll need, and priced good too. She's having some diarrhea but what's crazy is it looks disgusting, but has 0 odor...Pretty cool! I mean its gross, but crazy how there really is no smell to the poop. I'm hoping this is just an initial transition bodily reaction. But very excited, and hope she takes well to it. Maybe some of those allergies will go away finally :]

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online