Should I add Salmon Oil?

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
Ari is 10 weeks old now and he is doing great on Fromm Puppy Gold at 1/2 cup 3 x day. I keep reading on here that a majority of you are adding greek yogurt or salmon oil to meals. I am quite hesitant to add anything as Ari is just eating well and doesn't seem to have any gas problems or stool deficiencies. All solid. As for treats he is a Fromm lamb treats and Milkbone puppy/Freeze Dry Chicken Liver when training.

Will salmon oil give him gas? How about yogurt? And how much do you add to his meal a day? And what brands are you using?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
The good news is that you can try it -- buy a small size of whatever -- and then stop if there's an issue. I give both yogurt and salmon oil.

Yogurt - plain yogurt - not greek or flavored - approx. two rounded tablespoons - in the morning meal about 3-4X a week. Why? Because yogurt is good for you and Bea has yeast issues in her tail pocket. Yogurt is said to help with many things PLUS they LOVE IT.

Salmon Oil - a recent addition - Grizzly is the brand - I started this a few months ago. 3-4 X a week in the morning meal that doesn't have yogurt in it. (I alterate these two additives in breakfast) This has helped Bea's seasonal flank alopecia in AMAZING WAYS. Last summer, she had a big black SPLOT on both sides of her body. This summer? You can barely tell she has it. It has helped reduce shedding - although not a miracle by any means - and they seem to like the taste.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i also give grizzly salmon oil to sarahs food once a day a few pumps. you can also just buy people fish oil and give it to them. i cant give her yogurt as she has a milk allergy and some dogs cant handle yogurt and some can so just maybe try a small bit. sarah gets an acidophilus pill instead of yogurt once a day.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I highly recommend both, but only choose one at a time to make sure there is no reactions to it. Start with the salmon oil, a few weeks then add the yogurt.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

OP
BIJAH

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
Right on! It says 1 squirt per 10lbs. My boy is 15lbs, I still kept it at 1 squirt. He didn't seem to mind it after sniffing it for a second. I'm going with 1 squirt a day in his dinner daily at 7:30pm. Should be good?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I thought that a high end kibble has EVERYTHING a puppy/dog needs??? So if you don't see any real improvement why not save the money??? But if there is an improvement isn't it safe to assume that the kibble is not as good as they advertise? Just a thought.

OP
BIJAH

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
I thought that a high end kibble has EVERYTHING a puppy/dog needs??? So if you don't see any real improvement why not save the money??? But if there is an improvement isn't it safe to assume that the kibble is not as good as they advertise? Just a thought.

True, that is what I figured as well. But a shiney coat would be very awesome as I love to take pictures of my boy and show him off. iPhone instagram is nothing but Ari on a daily picture posts. I just bought him a SF Giants jersey and 49ers red jersey. In the hunt for a GSWarriors and a white 49ers too! :heart:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard

You are right. At least it's supposed to. But we're silly Americans. We spent 47.7 billion dollars on our pets in 2011 and we're projected to spend over 50 billion in 2012. :D

That Grizzly Salmon Oil was 25 bucks and I have three baskets of crap in there for these dogs --- so I know I did my part. :lmao:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Adding salmon oil is like taking fish oil for humans, good for the skin. I would use it even if I fed raw (don't know how I would manage that tho- probably with fish oil pills instead) but that is because it helps keep their skin in good condition. :up:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

OP
BIJAH

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
Ack! His poop went froyo on me. LIKE REALLY Soft Serve. I will try one more time... blah.

OP
BIJAH

BIJAH

May 28, 2012
San Jose CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ari Gold
Ari's stools are runny the past two days, ever since I started a squirt of Salmon oil. His morning stool is solid, but his stool at night (the one I added the salmon oil to) is quite runny/soft serve yogurt. Does it take a while for his digestive system to adapt to the salmon oil?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
it can take a bit to level out but if it doesnt improve you can give fish oil capsules like humans take. you can give the capsule whole or poke a hole in it and pour it over the food. some dogs cant handle fish so some people use flax seed oil. ive known people to just put canola or virgin oil on their dogs food. yes we would expect our high end kibble to do everything but sometimes it doesnt and i have no problem with helping it some. heck we people take supplements in addition to our diets. :)

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Personally, if it isnt broke, I dont fix it. If the pup is doing well on what he is on, I wouldnt add anything else - maybe yogurt as a special treat. My personal opinion, the more different tastes you give a puppy, the more likely they will find something the REALLY Like, which means, the MIGHT not like their food flavor as much.
"but Mom! I want that OTHER thing you give me, I dont want this..this...this dog food! ! "

Just my thoughts

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Personally, if it isnt broke, I dont fix it. If the pup is doing well on what he is on, I wouldnt add anything else - maybe yogurt as a special treat. My personal opinion, the more different tastes you give a puppy, the more likely they will find something the REALLY Like, which means, the MIGHT not like their food flavor as much.
"but Mom! I want that OTHER thing you give me, I dont want this..this...this dog food! ! "

Just my thoughts
you make a good point also. my bostons now dont want to eat their kibble unless something is on it as i was adding a bit of canned food. now if i dont put something on it they dont want to eat. so i put a spoonful of yogurt on it. cheaper than canned food.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
If Gizmo doesnt get a little somethin' somethin' in her food she isnt interested in eating it. for a while Olive Oil worked, then a pinch of shreeded cheese, bit of left over hamburger .... I just dont want it to escalate any further, like Filet Mignon :begging: LOL

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.