Allergic to food??

Coop590

Jun 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
So I think Lily is allergic to something in her food about 2 hours aftershe eats she get a rash on her belly and her white spot on her nose turnsbright red (I attached a photo), and her pooā€™s are still soft even with thepumpkin in the morning I am feeding her Orijen puppy formula sheā€™s been on thatnow for probably 3 weeks. Iā€™ve also been noticing that she has been gettingtear stains/boogery eyes and sheā€™s been digging at her paws. Just wondering ifanyone has any suggestions on what I should try next, sheā€™s already triedNatureā€™sVariety and that didnā€™t agree with her and the breeder had her on puppy chow.

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 144

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Oh. Looks like an allergic reaction to me. Many of the bullies on this site, including my guy, do very well on Fromms grain free beef Frittata, but all bullies are different so it may take several different foods to find what works best for your baby. Im sure you will get more help soon. Hope for speedy results!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OUCH.... definitely allergies... try to avoid chicken and grains, they seem to be the biggest problems with bullies. Also, ask you vet for a full blood screen allergy test - it will save you lots of time, money and Lily lots of discomfort.

Good luck and keep us posted

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh. Looks like an allergic reaction to me. Many of the bullies on this site, including my guy, do very well on Fromms grain free beef Frittata, but all bullies are different so it may take several different foods to find what works best for your baby. Im sure you will get more help soon. Hope for speedy results!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Agreed! I wonder if there is a problem with beef? Also agree with 2bullymama, you can try a new food but doing an allergy test can save you a lot of headaches.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Isn't there some rule about not allergy testing dogs until they're a certain age? (not puppies)

I do love Lily's spotted little tummy. What a doll baby -- even with the naughty spots her good spots look fabulous. :heart:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That is true [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] the test would need to be done again after 1 year. Maybe trying a grain free limited ingredient diet would be a good idea. Of course raw would be an excellent option. Allergies showing up so young worries me.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
hm id say pick a food with less ingredients. how old is your dog? when dealing with allergies less is more really. it helps to figure out what the allergy is. what natures variety did you use? i looked up puppy chow n um ew :barf:. well im not sure what you have in canada but acana puppy and junior looked pretty limited maybe try that one. do you think its the chicken or something else in there? yes get an allergy tests its wonderful [MENTION=5132]Coop590[/MENTION]

OP
Coop590

Coop590

Jun 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
She is about 3 months I agree on the puppy chow yuck I will have to look in to Acana to see if it is available if not I may try Fromm

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
She is about 3 months I agree on the puppy chow yuck I will have to look in to Acana to see if it is available if not I may try Fromm

Hello, My Lilly also has issues with kibble...

I tried a few different ones and never had any good results. You COULD try Nutrisca which is what I was using last. It's a very short ingredient list and is one of the few grain AND potato free kibbles out there. A lot of these other food still have sweet potato in the kibble, which can sometimes be a culprit but very rare. Sweet potato is very low on the glycemic index, so it is relatively safe. Some dogs just have allergies to these types of vegetables though, and none are tolerated by the dog. They have lamb and chick pea, salmon, and one other flavor but I can't remember. I used Lamb and was told that it wasn't the best pick, and to try Salmon. It's expensive kibble also, but it might work for you. I always hear Fromm is a great food for bullies, but I didn't use it because of the sweet potato. I was just trying to remove all potato's from her diet, and then once I saw it clear up I planned on trying something with sweet potato. I believe starting with the simplest list of ingredients, and then adding one thing at a time so you can closely monitor what is causing the issues. I gave up on the search for the perfect kibble though, and I'm trying a raw diet now to see if it helps. Good luck with Lilly's allergies, it stinks seeing them itch themselves like crazy and not knowing why....

Last edited:
OP
Coop590

Coop590

Jun 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!!

OP
Coop590

Coop590

Jun 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily

I Started switching Lil over to Fromms grain free beefFrittata yesterday 1/3 and the rest was Orijen for breakfast and supper, sheseemed good all day/night but around 4:30 this morning she threw up alittle..... I also gave her about a tablespoon of frozen pumpkin lastnight....should I continue to switch her over to the Fromms or go back to thedrawing board? Sorry for all the questions guys.

Deniztokcan

Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver British Columbia
Bulldog(s) Names
Cappu
Hi coop , i have been suffering with similar things with my boy cappu , i have tried many kibbles , i got lots of help from here , i went to vet and all they do is recommend their own food (mostly) he was vomiting bad poop etc , hot spots as well , i was out of options and wanted the best for him , i finally did reaearch and if you are capable you might want to try raw feeding , i am living in vancouver and i found a store that they sell raw meat including organs bones inside the raw meats they sell , he is perfect now , the pinkyness on his heads are gone , spots are gone the only bad side of it , it is alittlebit expensive but you can find something for your budget

OP
Coop590

Coop590

Jun 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily

I continued to feed her Fromms grain free beef Frittataand she hasnā€™t had any symptoms other then throwing up that once I am stillswitching her over however, fingers crossed we might finally have a winner.....I have never been so excited to see a solid poo ahahah

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.