Same old *poop*

TandVsMom

Jun 26, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus and Bubbers
I mentioned in my introductory post that my Max (2 year old neutered male), has some allergy issues. I know I should just have the tests done, but I am dragging my feet in doing so, not sure why.

Anyway, since I got him at about 16 weeks old, he has maybe NEVER had solid poop. It has been as bad a watery (this was when he ate popcorn, and his hair fell out in patches - so no more corn at all) but is "normally" puddingy and sort of yellowish. This is a particular problem as his tail is VERY tight to his rump, and poop sticks EVERY TIME to the underside of his tail. I have switched foods SEVERAL times, and not it doesn't seem to get any better. HOWEVER, today I was looking for a common ingredient in all of the foods we've tried. It's chicken. I'm so goofy not to have noticed. Here's what he's been fed:

Breeder: Royal Canin Bulldog http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php/product/277
1st Owner: Blue Buffalo http://www.bluebuffalo.com/health/ingredients
Me: Purina Pro-Plan sensitive skin and stomach (vet recommended,complete disaster.But there is NO chicken in it, so I'm not sure on this one)) http://www.proplan.com/dry-dog-food/sensitive-skin-stomach-formula/default.aspx
Wellness Super5Mix puppy http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/product-details.aspx?pet=dog&pid=56#ingredients
Merrick Before Grain Buffalo http://community.dog.com/forums/t/75526.aspx (grain free, does have chicken)
Innova EVO Chicken and Turkey (I'm so dumb that I hadn't figured out chicken by this time) http://www.naturapet.com/products/1571
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon (again, it's salmon, but still has chicken in it) http://www.bluebuffalo.com/dog-food/wilderness-salmon

I JUST bought the Blue Wilderness Salmon kibble and cans because it was vet recommended (he said it was very low in carbs, especially the cans, and I should cut carbs for Max to try to help with the yeast). Does it seem to you all that it's probably chicken? How could I have possibly missed that for so long?

Further, if it is a reaction to chicken, what foods do ya'll recommend? I'm considering feeding raw, and I know it sounds terrible, but I really don't have time until after summer school to undertake a raw diet that I have to plan and prepare. I think I'd like to do some raw, some cans and some kibble (he LOVES kibble...smacks his lips and chews and chews and makes little contented bulldog sounds for kibble, just slops through cans as fast as he can. lol)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Most of us chicken haters (lol) feed Fromm Beef Fritatta. You can also try Earthborn Great Plains feast, Nature's Logic Beef. It certainly could be chicken. I hope you find the answers you are looking for!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I am feeding California Natural Lamb , I don't think it has any chicken it. I also make a raw mix to add to the kibble. 50% raw ground beef, 25% raw carrots/broccoli/some parsley all veggies ground, and then 25% cooked cooled oatmeal. mix this all together and put a few tablespoons in the kibble. I also add liquid glucosimine into the mix. Poops are all nice, log like and brown with a hint of shine. :yes: very happy with the poop

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Hi! I had issues with my Cleo and have found great success on the raw diet. Now her brother, Mac, gets it as well. To be honest, it's really not that difficult to prepare as you basically just give them the raw meat and let them do with it whatever they want so I don't think it'll be as difficult as you might think. The only thing that I don't feed raw however, is ground beef. I cook that up just to make sure no germs somehow got in during the grinding process. Good luck!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Anyway, since I got him at about 16 weeks old, he has maybe NEVER had solid poop. It has been as bad a watery (this was when he ate popcorn, and his hair fell out in patches - so no more corn at all) but is "normally" puddingy and sort of yellowish.

I am worried about what you have just said. My Bella had the same issue as a puppy. Please review epi4dogs.com, the might have answers for you. This is exactly how Bella was!!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
best of luck... y girl is highly allergic to chicken... we feed Fromm Beef Fritatta

OP
TandVsMom

TandVsMom

Jun 26, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus and Bubbers
I am worried about what you have just said. My Bella had the same issue as a puppy. Please review epi4dogs.com, the might have answers for you. This is exactly how Bella was!!!!!

I looked at the page and the pictures and stories there are heartbreaking :( but so glad it is controllable. Would animals who suffer from this always look thin? Max is not a large bully by any means, but he's got really good weight to him. Also the yellow poo shown there was much more mucousy (?) than Max's has ever been. Still, we do have a vet appointment coming up next week (to discuss allergy testing) and I will talk to the vet then.

Thank you so much for sharing this with me and being concerned about Max. :)

OP
TandVsMom

TandVsMom

Jun 26, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus and Bubbers
I am considering switching Max to Nature's Variety Instinct Raw and Kibble Rabbit. NVI is the only pre-prepared Raw I can get in my area. I feel like it would be better for me to begin feeding raw with pre-prepped raw and then eventually work my way around to raw that I prepare because I don't have time to do the research :(

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
the dogs will eventually thin out and continue to do so until medicated. It took Bella about 3 1/2 months for us to realize she wasn't getting bigger and then another 2 months for a diagnosis, by then she was skin and bones.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I am considering switching Max to Nature's Variety Instinct Raw and Kibble Rabbit. NVI is the only pre-prepared Raw I can get in my area. I feel like it would be better for me to begin feeding raw with pre-prepped raw and then eventually work my way around to raw that I prepare because I don't have time to do the research :(
i dunno if anyones mentioned this but nvi gets there rabbit and i believe their canned food is done in china. i used to feed that food so i checked. just fyi. also if i feed sarah chicken she gets runny yellow poop to. if you still need it i can help you find a kibble and canned for your baby.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Rabbit is very hard to come by and I only know of one raw company that has a guaranteed US source. The rest get theirs from other sources, like China. Very scary

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
i dunno if anyones mentioned this but nvi gets there rabbit and i believe their canned food is done in china. i used to feed that food so i checked. just fyi. also if i feed sarah chicken she gets runny yellow poop to. if you still need it i can help you find a kibble and canned for your baby.

Also NVI is high pressured pasteurized , that process is equivalent to cooking. Which takes away from the concept of raw. Ck your area for raw co-ops or ck you local feed stores. They may be cheaper and better sources/brands

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.