All Stages v. Puppy Food

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
So Truman has the runs. As I documented in another thread, he seemed to be only having them at night but now it has moved to the day time so he went to the vet. He's negative for giardia but they could not get enough "matter" for a fecal so they gave me Panacur and metronidazole to stop him up and help the inflammation in his tummy.

The issue of food came into question and I mentioned we were feeding him Taste of the Wild. The vet said he needs to be on puppy food - dry and wet - until he's a year old. I am feeding him bland diet now until things calm down but since TOTW (and lots of other grain frees) are "All Stages" I figured it was okay.

Does anyone know the differences between all stages and puppy food? I am inclined to err on the side of caution and start feeding Truman puppy food but I am not sure what to get. I am currently looking at Innova puppy food.

Thanks!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] I'm not sure, I am just assuming the puppy food as more protein???? Just wanted to point out, because I saw you commented about the Natura Pet Food being bought out by Proctor & Gamble. Innove is a natura pet food as well, it is now Proctor & Gamble too.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks appreciated - I noted that as well...ugh, just when I think I've found the right formula! :mad:

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Bulldogs are different- you do not wish them to grow too quickly, which is why you should switch to adult food no later than 6 months. I believe we are feeding both pups Fromm, and they have been on ALS foods since they were 3 months old. From what we found, 3 months was the 'switching' time for bulldogs. Puppy food has very high protien.

Most of the really good dog foods don't even have a 'puppy formula' because there is real quality meat, vitamins and protien in the food.

I know Lisa mentioned she had the hardest time finding the right food with Jesse, who seemed to have an overly sensitive stomach. I know Jesse was going in her crate every morn. I will make sure she replies to this topic.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Jesse did a poopy in her kennell every night and she was gassy and bloated, then I went to Avoderm and she did much better, but she would still poo in her kennel some mornings, like she could not hold it in. Then I switched to Fromm grain free and her tear stains are very little, plus she is no longer going in her kennel. As a matter of fact, she usually does not go poo now until after she has her breakfast. There is just less poo with Fromm. I know it has sweet pots in it, but they dont put so much fillers in Fromm I don't think.

Kikiwhoa21

Jun 16, 2010
Wonderland, Texas!
Bulldog(s) Names
Chev Chelios && Faith
I was just about post a thread asking when's a good time to switch to from puppy to all stage food but you bet me to it [MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] :p! I've been going through about 6 different foods to find the perfect one for both Faith && Chelios. When it was good for one, the other ones tummy didnt like. But we recently switched to Fromm (surf && turf). I noticed they didnt have puppy food && was wonder if it was a good idea to feed her the all stage food since she's still a pup. Will she be getting all her nutrition? I must say tho.. Its only been a few days since we switched but I really like there food so far no problems && both has been pooping solid, no runs or anything. && they love the food! Their always asking for more, && more lol :bully:

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks everyone.

The vet's rationale was that the puppy food contains more vitamins and minerals, which would help him, especially post-surgery. He also mentioned that he did not feel it was THE cause of Truman's diarrhea but could be a contributing factor because it was not formulated with a puppy's digestive system in mind.

I don't think vets are particularly knowledgeable when it comes to food and I have worked to find Linus a grain free, lower protein option so I think I will try it for Truman once he gets back on regular food.

That said, I never fed Linus puppy food and I fed Bentley puppy food until he was 10 months so...I don't think any irreparable damage occur with puppy food for a bit.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.