Trying to find a new food for my allergic Willie

jackcmuzic

Jun 25, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Willie
Hello everyone! I have been reading posts on the EBN site for a while after doing google searches for all bulldog related things, but have just now joined and this is my first post. I have a 2 year old English bully named Willie who I adopted when he was around 7 months old. Ever since I have been trying to find the best food for him. I believe ( after many trials and foods later) that he is allergic to rice and chicken. When he eats food with one of the two ingredients his skin gets these pustules all over that take weeks to heal, and inbetween his paws the skin swells up. With this also comes loose stools with weird colors, and very bad gas. I mean, dead animal stinky butt bad! He was originally on Royal Canine Bulldog when I first got him, and that was awful, so I switched him to Taste of the wild grain free lamb, he had horrible gas, firm stools but his skin still broke out. I tried acanna grain free salmon, he didn't do good on that, Then I found Nutro natural choice venison and he has done the best on this food. Non toxic gas, firm stools but his skin is still occasionally lightly breaking out, and is gettting ear infections (yeast) often. I have been reading about Natures variety Instinct Limited Ingredient diet which looks good since it has no potatoes in it to cause yeast issues, but I am concerned about more bad gas. I am also considering the Fromm Beef Frittata but it has sweet potatoes. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:ohmy: you have really been trying! I'll tag @cowsmom..she's our resident food guru. You are probably correct about the chicken..seems a lot of Bully's are sensitive to chicken. You might consider an allergy test. It will save you money and poor Willie lots of discomfort. You will be able to avoid the triggers that show up in this test and skip a bunch of part bags of dog food. There are many here who have had this done and it really did help them. In the meantime..I'm so glad you joined up! Can't wait to get to know you and Willie!

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]..[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
From someone who has been through like 20 foods only to find that she can't eat kibble due to allergies I would say leave them on the nutro and get the blood allergy test done. It was the best thing I did with Sarah. You can just get the food part to save money. You can try foods till your blue and maybe find one maybe not. Some of her allergies I knew n some were a surprise n some she was not allergic to I thought she was. Good luck n welcome to the site.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello everyone! I have been reading posts on the EBN site for a while after doing google searches for all bulldog related things, but have just now joined and this is my first post. I have a 2 year old English bully named Willie who I adopted when he was around 7 months old. Ever since I have been trying to find the best food for him. I believe ( after many trials and foods later) that he is allergic to rice and chicken. When he eats food with one of the two ingredients his skin gets these pustules all over that take weeks to heal, and inbetween his paws the skin swells up. With this also comes loose stools with weird colors, and very bad gas. I mean, dead animal stinky butt bad! He was originally on Royal Canine Bulldog when I first got him, and that was awful, so I switched him to Taste of the wild grain free lamb, he had horrible gas, firm stools but his skin still broke out. I tried acanna grain free salmon, he didn't do good on that, Then I found Nutro natural choice venison and he has done the best on this food. Non toxic gas, firm stools but his skin is still occasionally lightly breaking out, and is gettting ear infections (yeast) often. I have been reading about Natures variety Instinct Limited Ingredient diet which looks good since it has no potatoes in it to cause yeast issues, but I am concerned about more bad gas. I am also considering the Fromm Beef Frittata but it has sweet potatoes. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

Oh my.... this sounds like my guys all rolled into one! Banks is highly allergic to chicken and has yeast issues... Nitschke was allergic to rice and dairy. Banks has been on the Beef Frittata since October and she is doing awesome on it. Yeast is still an issue but NO WHERE near what it was before the Fromm.

Welcome and best of luck.... also, as mentioned, the full blood screen allergy test will save you tons of time/money and Willie a lot of discomfort.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.