Advice Needed: Super firm stools

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
As most of you know from my threads down in the health forum, I tried feeding Truman and Linus Earthborn and it didn't go well, so we went back to Nature's Variety Instinct LID Lamb formula.

Both dogs do well on this food but one of the reasons I wanted to switch was because their stools were so hard and almost crumbly because of the added ingredient of clay in that particular food.

I had forgotten the kinds of problems this posed for Truman. His stools are literally as hard as rocks and, as such, he is having a difficult time holding himself until he goes outside. I think when a poop comes on, it just drops right out.

Since I feel pretty much tied to this food because of its allergy benefits, I was hoping for some recommendations on things I might add to Truman and Linus' diet that will help produce a softer stool. Linus is a very picky eater (has never eaten fruits or vegetables) but Truman will eat almost anything. I am looking for something that would be good on a long term basis.

Thank you!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In raw feeding it's bone that makes the stool hard so to make it loosen up one thing that can be added is veggies and another is meat, so the way I figure they must work in your case too. Both healthy and can be used long term.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We had this with Banks for awhile too... lots of water, frozen green beans, add ice to the water bowl to see if that attracts more drinking

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] is right he needs more water. what she said is true and you can also try some canned food. i even add a bit of water to the canned food when i refridgerate to make it softer and get more water in sarahs diet. any veggies that will add water are good to. some dogs will just eat ice cubes themselves.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks everyone, I will try these suggestions.

This may be gross but I picked up a piece of Truman poop from outside and took a picture so you can see how crumbly and hard his stools are. It is barely identifiable as poop and is as hard as a rock - so I hope adding some water and some veggies will help things get more, well, poop-like. I shudder to think what this feels like coming out. :(

Poo.jpg

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my gosh, that does look painful. do you give yogurt? Would think that could help some also. Gosh I am so used to runny poo questions. :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Wow! That is the dryest poop I've ever seen. I have to wash and fill four large dog bowls of water every day and they all drink adequately. As someone mentioned they love it when I put crushed ice in it. Maybe make some doggie popcicles? I just freeze plain yogurt with bananas.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Canned pumpkin is said to help both ways; soupy poops and rock hard ones. Bea had troubles with Earthborne Meadow Feast in that way also so I just increased the liquid in the "gravy" that I mix in with their food. It's Wellness Duck/Sweet Potato + hot water. That helped. So did giving her watermelon. She loves it!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.