Trying new food!

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Hello everybully!! Its been a little while since I have visited the forum, but here i am !! Iam posting today because I wanted to see what you guys think about another food trial for Mocha.
Since I was last here I took Mocha off NB LID because the recall scared me. It was hard becasue Mocha did so well with that food ,but after carefull thought decided it was best not to take any chances. I did some research and went and got The Honest Kitchen (the fish kind) but after 2 months and 50 dollars a box I saw an increase in Mochas teary eyes and frankly she sem always hungry.This food you have to mix equal parts of water with it and you may add fruit ,veggies or meat if you like. Was not impress with it. So once again here I go in search of something that would agree with her.
So I get Acana Pacifica. She liked it(she likes everything!!!!) I think its good ,but again after 2 months her coat did not seem as soft and brilliant as it usually is. Also she started to fart reallyyyyyyyyy bad!!! LOL!! The thing is that once in a while she would toot but not all the time!!!
What brings me to my recent trial, I got NVI Grain Free Salmon Meal( I also got the cans to mix in with the dry food) I have read here a while back that some of you like this food and have had good results with it. Well , keeping my fingers crossed because I dont know what else to do!! I really miss Natural Balance because it was perfect and Mocha did so so so good with it. But I just can not gamble with my little babys health. Ok, tell me what you think !!! Do any of you use Acana or The Honest Kitchen? What are your thoughts about them? Picture 173.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Haven't you ever Fromm? I have not tried Acana or Honest Kitchen. Which NB were you feeding? Maybe we can find a Fromm that is close to the same ingredients....?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hiya: I am thrilled to see you! :D. I agree with Lisa..try Fromm! The beef might be a great place to start. I tried the NVI Salmon/grain free and Jake had a horrible reaction..like almost instantaneously! But that's Jake! I've since decided he can't have Salmon or chicken! :bang: I'm not familiar with Acana or Honest Kitchen..but I'll get [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] here..she's amazing with food! Again! So nice to hear from you..and Mocha! :love:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=1710]LisaMarie[/MENTION] welcome back. I have left NB also. we switched to California Natural Lamb recently. I've also been mixing it with raw burger and raw vegs mixed with cooked oatmeal. Well, I'm getting away from the fresh mix and giving more of the plain kibble right now.
They like it. I have no problems currently and the poops are all log like. This is a good thing to have multiple dogs all on the same food and no real problems. As far as the two foods you mention Acana, I have not tried. the NVI we had tried, but the prairie variety But this was too high in protein and they were putting on weight. So we got off that. Keep me posted on your progress.

nando1301

May 6, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Samantha (Sam)
I buy NUTRO ULTRA for puppies for Samantha she just turned 10 months and I just started giving her NUTRO ULTRA for adults, Sam did so good with the puppy food that I decided to stay with the same brand. I also like the ingredients they use. Sam's very healthy, little to non with the passing gas and bad smell, awesome coat. The vet last month asked me what kind of food I buy for her she and said she was going to look it up. A bit expensive but is worth every penny specially when I get nice complements about Sam. Look it up and let me know what you think. Good Luck

OP
LisaMarie

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] ,I stay away from the chicken and meat food for Her. Ive always gone with the fish for Mocha as she does well with them. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] , It was the NB LID Salmon and sweet potatos.

I have no idea why I havent tried Fromm yet!!!

OP
LisaMarie

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] , is it just regular meat from the grocerie store you get??

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
I've used THK for a few years....I think we've used all their formulas....right now Schultz switches every 3-4weeks between Zeal (fish) and Love (beef) ....I mix in Orijen kibble either 6 fish or red dog with THK, respectively to match the fish or beef....I even add extra liquid to really soften the kibbles....until, I found THK Schultz had super soft poops and I was home cooking all his meals....I still home cook enough for 3 days a week and then 4 days he gets THK and Origen.....same routine for my weim except she gets more variety, as she doesn't have any digestive sensitivities.....am excited that THK is supposed to have a new formula this winter that doesn't include any grains or potatoes....on home-cooking days we don't do any potatoes (I think this keeps the yeast in check)....good luck I know finding the right foods is tricky stuff ....I often find myself reading books on nutrition for animals and humans....too many choices....makes it so time consuming....but then again, the first line of defense for good health is a healthy diet.

OP
LisaMarie

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION] The Zeal is what I gave Mocha for a few months.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
@Sherry , is it just regular meat from the grocerie store you get??

Yes, 85% lean ground beef. I pay $2.29 a pound when it's on sale, but I must buy 10 pounds or more. No biggie I freeze it in 2 pound bags. the receipt is 50% meat to 25% raw carrots , parsley, broccoli mix (ground up in my food processor) and then 25% cooked cooled oatmeal. That is the mixture I put on top of the kibble. I breaks up the monotony of food doldrums. I feel good about giving them something fresh. It's relatively inexpensive. I occasionally add blueberry's on top. frozen green beans , things like that to make it more interesting. It's fun actually, and the fresh mix stays good in the fridge for up to 3 days.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=1710]LisaMarie[/MENTION] ok you can try the fromm if you wish as its wonderful food. i believe they have a surf n turf but it has chicken in it. if you are looking for something that is similiar to the nb there is a brand of food called pure vita and they have a salmon one. i have heard people have good results with thk and my boston is on acana grasslands right now. these are both good foods but as you know bullies are so different what works for one dont work for another. if you need further help dear im around just not as much as i have been.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online