Loose stool from food.

petee2

Mar 26, 2012
Scott Township, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petee
Hi, Petee is 6 months old and weighs 33 pounds. He is eating Nature's Variety Instinct Beef and Lamb meal (37 %protein). He eats 2 cups twice a day. He would eat more if I gave it to him. The problem is loose stool, like soft serve ice cream, and gas. it will get watery diarrhea atleast 3 times a week. Imagine pooper scooping! I do give pumpkin to get it more formed and it does help but it seems that I would have to give it every meal every day for it to work all the time. He also has tear stains! Ugh! I have tried switching to the salmon formula but it didn't change anything other then he smelled like fish! Could it be the high protein bothering him? Am I feeding him to much, not enough or is this food just not for him? Help!

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I'm not an expert but you may be over feeding, which will cause the described tummy issues. I feed Fromms and my guy is 36 lbs and gets 2 1/4 cups a day - 1 1/4 in the morning and 1 cup at night. He always wants more, as do most bullies, but that is all he needs. What does the feeding guideline on the bag indicate for his weight and activity level? The amount shown is usually the daily amount to feed and it should be split into the number of times you feed him. If you are within the guidelines, they maybe that brand is not agreeing with him and you should consider another option. Hope the scooping improves soon ;)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I wonder if he's getting too much! Just a little too much can cause this. Jake gets 1 cup in am and 1 cup in pm. And that's been it for a very long time. Of course he could have a sensitivity to one of the protein sources. My bet would be the lamb. It's hard to tell without allergy testing..it's a trial and error thing! I would start by cutting back the amount he gets...maybe 1 1/2 cup each feeding...instead of 2. If you see any improvement then you know you are on the right track. If no improvement..I would start looking for a single protein source food..without chicken or lamb..[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]..maybe she has some ideas!

OP
petee2

petee2

Mar 26, 2012
Scott Township, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petee
The bag says for a 25-50 pound puppy, pregnant and nursing females feed 2 1/4 to 3 3/4 a day. I will cut back to 1 1/5 cups twice a day and see if that helps. May have to cut even more...ohhhhh, Petee (AKA "Hoover") ain't gonna like this! Reason why I was feeding him more was because he seemed smaller in weight then the other Bulldogs I've seen, especially his head. It's still small for his body!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I would agree to cut back the food amount. Sarah is 47 pounds n only used to get one and 2/3 cup a day. I would cut way back on the amount slowly as to not be so drastic a cut to him n see if the stool improves. This food is very rich n you would need less anyway. Keep us updated.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
At 6 months old I would think 1.5 cups twice a day would be good. Try skipping a meal or at least give a very small one to help the tummy settle.

Just to be on the safe side you may want to have your vet check out a stool sample for parasites. Even at 2 c per day at his age it really is a bit odd the poo is so runny. Rule out parasites because they will cause your puppy to lose weight or rather not gain, just to be sure. Good luck and keep us posted!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
At 6 months old I would think 1.5 cups twice a day would be good. Try skipping a meal or at least give a very small one to help the tummy settle.

Just to be on the safe side you may want to have your vet check out a stool sample for parasites. Even at 2 c per day at his age it really is a bit odd the poo is so runny. Rule out parasites because they will cause your puppy to lose weight or rather not gain, just to be sure. Good luck and keep us posted!
didnt he say he is eating 2 cups twice a day. thats 4 cups a day thats alot. :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
The bag says for a 25-50 pound puppy, pregnant and nursing females feed 2 1/4 to 3 3/4 a day. I will cut back to 1 1/5 cups twice a day and see if that helps. May have to cut even more...ohhhhh, Petee (AKA "Hoover") ain't gonna like this! Reason why I was feeding him more was because he seemed smaller in weight then the other Bulldogs I've seen, especially his head. It's still small for his body!

didnt he say he is eating 2 cups twice a day. thats 4 cups a day thats alot. :)

[MENTION=4581]petee2[/MENTION]. Don't worry..he's got a long time to go before he's done! They don't finish filling out until he's about 2 years old and his head is one of the last things to finish! Jake was the same way..even smaller than his litter mates. Now he is the same and his head is even a bit bigger than his brothers. They go through many stages and all of a sudden...WHOOP...you have a :bully: !! His system can't handle 4 cups of a very rich food twice a day..so he's expelling some..err all..but in a bad way! My vet says..don't feed to what the bag says..but to what your guy needs! It's like shampoo..rinse..repeat...just a way to use more of their product!

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]..:yes: 2 cups twice a day! :eek:

mdawson808

Jan 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmine
My pup had tear stains when I was giving him tap water, I started givin him purified water and it cleared up!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You already have been given some good advice .... if you cut back and get a vet check for parasites then hopefully the loose stools will stop. Otherwise you may need to try a different brand of food. Finding the right food is not only the most important thing you can do for your bully but also the most difficult!!

Kozman

Nov 13, 2011
NYC
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
I agree you are feeding too much. 2 to 2 1/2 cups a day of good quality will be enough.

Most Reactions