Bad reaction to food? Need help from other bully owners!!

nmejia024

Jan 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
King
Hello! I have been on the search for the right bulldog food for my 11 month old bulldog and I thought I had found it but now i'm not sure! My bully, King, has been on Earthborn Holistic Great Plains feast for 2-3 months now and he seemed to being doing fabulous on it. Hard stools, good tear stains, nice coat, etc. A couple of weeks ago my fiance and i boarded King at his dog breeder's for the weekend and she recommended that I go back to puppy food for him because he is on the verge of a growths spirt and he needs the fattiness and other ingredients that puppy dog needs to grow. She suggested to mix Purina One Healthy Puppy Formula with the Earth Born Holistic Great Plains food. I ended up up doing that and feed 1 1/2 of each foods in his bowl.

I thought it was working fine but i have been noticing that he is constantly licking his pawls and now his ear is RED and seems to be losing some hair around the ear. He also is not eating all of his day and night. He used to seem more excited and eager to eat and would lick the bowl clean...

I need some advice for my bully. I am upset that he seems to not be doing well and i want to get him on the right path. I want to give him the best food at the affordable price. Should I stick with puppy food? NEED AS MUCH HELP AS I CAN GET!! thanks!!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
HI :) lots of good food guru's on here that should be able to help. We feed Duke Nature's Variety Instinct and rotate the flavors. he has done fantastic on it !

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
I would say get him off the purina and back to earthborn holistic, he probably needs a grain free food.. There is a link on this forum that talks about the quality of the food and purina is very low score.. It is low quality stuff high in allergens for bulldog and poor on nutrition.. not sure hat your breeder is talking about, sorry.. fattiness is not healthy in bulldogs.. (or any other species for that matter)

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
I think most people on here would advise you not to give him puppy food. I have Gracie on the Earthborn too. She is about done with the first bag and I'm considering changing her food. She is losing some hair in patches. Is he itching his ear? He could have an yeast infection. Gracie has had a few yeast infections in her one ear. The vet thought it could be alleries from her food so that's why I switched. She has not had a yeast infection since, but I'm just not sure if the Earthborn is the best for her. She was on Fromm I think alot of people on here have had good luck with that one. I'm not a food expert so you will be getting some advice from others that will be more helpful. Oh and Gracie just turned 10 months yeterday so she is about the same age as King. Good luck!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I would stop the puppy food and also keep a close eye on things with the Earthborn. Some have had great luck with it, some have not - my bullies both lost hair in patches on it.

OP
nmejia024

nmejia024

Jan 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
King
What flavor of earth born is your bully on?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My advice: if you want to make sure he is getting a little extra weight (you do not want a fat bully!!!!) Add a better quality puppy food in. Purina is junk and is probably why you are having problems. If Purina puppy is your breeders food of choice I would NOT take any food advice from them, ever. But to be honest just add a 1/4 c toof the earthborn is whst I would do instead.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
My advice: if you want to make sure he is getting a little extra weight (you do not want a fat bully!!!!) Add a better quality puppy food in. Purina is junk and is probably why you are having problems. If Purina puppy is your breeders food of choice I would NOT take any food advice from them, ever. But to be honest just add a 1/4 c toof the earthborn is whst I would do instead.

exactly what I was going to say. :nonono: purina :barf:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
My vet recommends All Stage Food from puppies on. She is of the opposite thought than the boarder. You DON'T want them growing toooo fast. This puts extra strain on their joints and hips. Bully's mature at a slower pace than a lot of breeds. You want a food that will give them all they need while NOT rushing their natural growth rate. Purina is :barf: A lot of people DO use puppy food..at least use a good puppy food. And don't mix..

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i would stop the purina and see if this clears up the problems. if so you have your answer. i had sarah on adult food when i got her at 1 year old so not sure a puppy food is needed at this point. keep us posted.

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I know many have already said 'stay away from purina' but I just want to second that and in just my opinion, I wouldn't even go back to that boarding place just b/c of that. But I'm a wicked 'PITA'. I refuse to go to a vet that sells foods like science diet, purina, royal canin etc.

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
I do not do commercial dog food at all. Raw for my Emma. It took care of skin allergies, thinning and loss of hair, stool problems. Energy went up, illness went down. Best thing I ever did, Vet was even amazed at her. Will never go back to commercial.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.