The "Great Earthborn Experiment" has ended, back to NVI

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Since so many of us were excited when we saw Earthborn with quality ingredients at a great price, I thought I'd let every know that after I posted a thread about my problems with Earthborn Grain Free Great Plains Feast, I switched to Meadow Feast, since Linus and Truman had done well on lamb in the past.

Again, I encountered several skin allergy problems that had me at the vet three times.

First, you'll remember, Truman had such an itchy spot that caused a skin infection, which turned black:

Ouch.jpg

After clearing that up with an antibiotic ointment, I noticed Truman losing patches of hair on his side and behind his ears.

Then I noticed Linus' coat looked rippled and he started developing hairless spots:

Fur.jpg

That is Linus' elbow but he had them all over his back, which, as our vet told me, was basically an outbreak on the skin from allergies.

So Linus is on an antibiotic and Truman is on an stronger anti-histamine and I have just bought a bag on Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet Lamb formula. They did so well on that but Earthborn seemed like a great alternative since it is grain and gluten free but, despite the similar ingredient list, the bullies were riddled with food allergy issues during their time on Earthborn...so the experiment ends!

I know all dogs are different and I know Earthborn is working great for some but I thought I'd share my experience as a reminder that, even if you think it's going to save a few bucks, in the end, buying the right food for your dog is well worth the money!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
That sucks, wish it helped. I know and fromm is so expensive but I have been afraid to try anything else new since Miila is such a mess as it is with seasonal stuff. Last thing I need is to make it worse by switching. Waiting til winter to maybe try and figure out her food problems.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw im sorry you had such trouble. its true what works for one does not work for others. its ok to go back to nvi that is a great food also. i know others have had trouble with the thinning hair and such. while others have done great. i have not had that trouble with my one boston but my other one it did not help his coat cause of his allergies. hope your gang gets better soon.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes..it's a crap shoot alright! Jake had a horrible reaction to NVI! Worst ever for him! So I can relate to food issues! I didn't really think about the $$$ of any food when I decided to switch. Jake just wasn't doing well on Fromm beef and there was no flavor left to try. Then I tried the NVI. And :eek: instant issues! So back to Fromm and got my courage up to try another. I hope he continues to thrive on Earthborne..but like you...I know nothing is guaranteed with food and :bully:!!!! I hope your boys get back to themselves right away! :up:

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
Aldo did not do well on earthborn either, extremely teary eyes and bad tear stains.. He does not tolerate surf and turf, but he does well on beef frittata.. I am afraid to try the one with salmon ingredients but I just might for the next bag... Katara has a tear stain that does not clear on her white side, but there's no teary eyes.. did not improve or get worse with the earthborn.. so I am hoping the salmon one will be tolerated well by Aldo and improve Katara's stains.... trial and error I guess...

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I almost got caught up in the excitement of discovering the Earthborn ..... but instead we went for the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach and stuck with the Fromm Beef Frittata. Maggie did the best on this flavour, and now she is no longer with us I guess I could try some other flavours but Linus is so sparkly white and so is Daddy that I am nervous to take the plunge!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Jesse does great on the coastal catch, so much that she was a bit hyper for the first month on it!!! Mandy has her first tear stains in over a year on it. Molly does great on the great plains feast, Tidus did awful. I have yet to try Yuna or Pookie on it. Yuna is still on Fromm puppy and I need to switch her off of it cuz she is getting chunky! Tidus and Pookie are eating fromm beef Frittatta, but I may switch Pookie back to Fromm puppy because even tho I am giving him 3 cups a day he looks too thin, I think the Fromm puppy will put some meat on him! I think the beef frittata is not as high in fat content...

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I would like to take a little tour in any of the dog food manufacturers production line.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Oh my gosh, I have had my bullies on so many foods it's not funny and I'm about to switch them again back to Fromm!!! When I first brought Sebastian home I put him on Blue Buffalo (his breeder had him on Science diet), by the time Oliver came home from the same breeder three weeks later, I was already switching to TOTW (thanks to finding this forum and BDW). From TOTW I think I switched them to Fromm and the tear stains on Oliver didn't go completely away (if you moved his eye fold you could see them, but just looking at him, you couldn't). Oliver then got an interdigital cyst on his paw then later a really bad allergie flare up and ear infection. Hello tear stains!!! I switched them again to NVI ( they really loved the rabbit and beef flavors), but poo was runny on the duck. Talking to [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] one day, she mentioned Earthborne, so thought I would give that a try. Still trying to stay away from grain and potatoes. The boys loved it, but then [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] mentioned Nature's Logic. Great concept of all natural, no preservatives, no chemicals added in. Tried that for a couple of months and now all three boys have tear stains instead of just Oliver and his has gotten way worse!! So my next petflow order is Fromm AGAIN!!!! This time if tear stains disappear, I'm sticking with it, I don't care if it does have potato in it!!!

Sorry for the long post, my fingers just didn't know when to shut up!!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
you know there is nothing wrong with keeping your pet on what works. every pet is not going to do well on earthborn. if your pet it good with fromm then stay with it. nvi works for you then fine stay with it. its so hard to find a food that works for bullies is you do then by all means keep it there. and if you feel like trying something else thats ok to. maybe it will work maybe not. there is no set standard on feeding these bullies believe me i know. :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Well, I'm going to give the Bison (Great Plains?) one a shot. I hope it gets here today. I'm almost out of the Meadow one. The tear stains have been horrible on this for Bo -- just awful. Bea's got a spring in her step for sure. I refuse to have them on two different foods. For now. I know that could change too.....ugh.

I am hoping THIS will be the food for us! :D

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
you know there is nothing wrong with keeping your pet on what works. every pet is not going to do well on earthborn. if your pet it good with fromm then stay with it. nvi works for you then fine stay with it. its so hard to find a food that works for bullies is you do then by all means keep it there. and if you feel like trying something else thats ok to. maybe it will work maybe not. there is no set standard on feeding these bullies believe me i know. :)

I think it is important to vary their protein source and not stay with the same food all their lives... It's also good to have a backup in case they suddenly have an issue with what they are on. That brings me to our Earthborn experiment:
HRH does GREAT on FROMM Beef Fritatta but all of Fromm's other flavors have something in them that she doesn't do so well on,,, i.e.: chicken, salmon. This is the reason we tried the Earthborn Great Plains. She did so so on it but there were issues we didn't like seeing so we are now transitioning to Nature's Logic all natural, all American ingredients food. Its 6 star rated, just a bit higher protein that Beef Fritatta but should be fine if it works out else wise. Only two days into it so we'll see and let everyone know. The only reason we are doing this is to have a backup to the Beef Fritatta from FROMM!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I think it is important to vary their protein source and not stay with the same food all their lives... It's also good to have a backup in case they suddenly have an issue with what they are on. That brings me to our Earthborn experiment:
HRH does GREAT on FROMM Beef Fritatta but all of Fromm's other flavors have something in them that she doesn't do so well on,,, i.e.: chicken, salmon. This is the reason we tried the Earthborn Great Plains. She did so so on it but there were issues we didn't like seeing so we are now transitioning to Nature's Logic all natural, all American ingredients food. Its 6 star rated, just a bit higher protein that Beef Fritatta but should be fine if it works out else wise. Only two days into it so we'll see and let everyone know. The only reason we are doing this is to have a backup to the Beef Fritatta from FROMM!
:faint: gonna quite talking now as i dont think im explaining myself very well at all

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.