Food for skin issues

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
We are adopting a sweet bully who was nearly starved and neglected. His skin is getting better, but still quite a mess. He is eating Taste of the Wild Salmon and sweet potato, but I was told that he shouldnt eat sweet potato because of the yeast issues he has. Is this true and if so, what should I feed him?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If he has a lot of skin issues and (maybe allergies?) I would try Fromm Grain-Free Surf and Turf. Also, make sure to add some Salmon oil to his food everyday- it is so good for their skin and coat. I would LOVE to meet your new bully. Do you have any pics? :D

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Does TOTW make a sweet potato formula? The Pacific Stream formula has salmon but I am pretty certain that almost all grain free foods use sweet potatoes as the starch instead of grains like oats, rice, corn or wheat. Also, I am interested to know who spoke to you about the link between sweet potato and yeast? My bully is on TOTW Pacific Stream and I have noticed a bit more yeast than normal on him and wasn't aware there was a known link. However, I would consider a NOT grain free diet if he's got problems with sweet potatoes because they are contained in most, if not all, grain free foods as a sub for the grain. Perhaps Avoderm? Desertsky has had good luck with that brand.

OP
NikkiSchoolcraft

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
I'm certain he has allergies. I have heard that Avoderm is good for skin issues. The person who said this was a "food Rep" at the pet store. He looks soooo much better in the 2 months in our rescue and his hair is starting to grow back. I just want to give him the best food for his issues. I had never heard the sweet potato/yeast link either, but I thought maybe someone else had.
furbabies 013.jpg

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
It has sweet potato but Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish is a really good food for dogs with allergies. Just another option to the others mentioned which are great foods as well, I just know some foods work for one bully but not another. Salmon oil is a great suggestion as well.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I'm certain he has allergies. I have heard that Avoderm is good for skin issues. The person who said this was a "food Rep" at the pet store. He looks soooo much better in the 2 months in our rescue and his hair is starting to grow back. I just want to give him the best food for his issues. I had never heard the sweet potato/yeast link either, but I thought maybe someone else had.
View attachment 3233

Okay, that's interesting. Linus has allergies and chronic ear infections so I recently opted for a grain free diet, which is supposed to be the absolute most hypoallergenic, eliminating most things dogs are allergic to but it's very much trial and error. In my limited experience, I can tell you that Linus did seem more yeasty after TOTW and I am thinking of trying something new since the yeast caused problems in the face wrinkles, tail, and ears. Rice and oats, which are contained in a better foods like Avoderm, are pretty decent for dogs and most are not allergic so it's probably worth a try.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would probably start with trying AvoDerm Lamb & Rice and Salmon Oil. If it shows no improvement, try Fromm Grain Free Surf and Turf and Salmon oil. The reason I say each of these forumlas is because the ingredients are very different.

Here is the ingredients for Fromm:
Ingredients:
Salmon, Duck Meal, Potatoes, Pea Flour, Sweet Potatoes, Duck, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Dried Tomato Pomace, Salmon Meal, Whole Dried Egg, Pea Protein, Chicken, Flaxseed, Cheese, Salmon Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), Chicken Broth, Carrots, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Apples, Green Beans, Lecithin, Chicken Cartilage, Potassium Chloride, Cranberries, Blueberries, Salt, Chicory Root Extract, Alfalfa Sprouts, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Folic Acid, Parsley, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Longum, Lactobacillus Plantarum, Enterococcous Faecium, Vitamin A, D3, E, B12 Supplements, Choline Bitartrate, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sorbic Acid, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Sodium Selenite.

Here is the ingredients for AvoDerm:
Lamb Meal, Ground Whole Brown Rice, Ground Whole White Rice, Oatmeal, Rice Bran, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Flax Seed, Avocado Meal, Dried Alfalfa Meal, Avocado Oil, Lecithin, Natural Flavor, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, a-Tocopherol Acetate (Source of Vitamin E), Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid ), Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate), Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Bromelain, Papain, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Product.

Make sure to switch slowly if you do switch, and please PLEASE let us know your results :)

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
This is really helpful. I am looking forward to hearing about your experiences with new food since I, too, am new to more balanced and hypoallergenic feeding but I do not think TOTW is it for Linus and Truman with the yeast issues. That said, Linus' eyes and coat are absolutely beautiful right now using that food; those pesky wrinkles!

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
Definitely interesting! I feed TOTW but I feed the high prarie bison formula and I've actually noticed that Sadie's wrinkles are cleaner, not nearly as pink and her toes have even returned to a normal color instead of being bright pink.

ljds923

Apr 11, 2010
Western MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sharamar n Sergios little lou - aka Louie
Okay, that's interesting. Linus has allergies and chronic ear infections so I recently opted for a grain free diet, which is supposed to be the absolute most hypoallergenic, eliminating most things dogs are allergic to but it's very much trial and error. In my limited experience, I can tell you that Linus did seem more yeasty after TOTW and I am thinking of trying something new since the yeast caused problems in the face wrinkles, tail, and ears. Rice and oats, which are contained in a better foods like Avoderm, are pretty decent for dogs and most are not allergic so it's probably worth a try.

I have the same problem with Louie! Ear infections and much yeast! So much in fact that he smelled up my whole house!!! I feel like Ive tried every food on t he market known to dogs.... Finally I found one that seems to be working...NO SMELL, NO YEAST!!:D
Natural Balance Vegetarian. Ive been thru so many foods! My vet said that some dogs can be allergic to meat protein
Louie has NO meat or meat products and hasbeen so much better....

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I have the same problem with Louie! Ear infections and much yeast! So much in fact that he smelled up my whole house!!! I feel like Ive tried every food on t he market known to dogs.... Finally I found one that seems to be working...NO SMELL, NO YEAST!!:D
Natural Balance Vegetarian. Ive been thru so many foods! My vet said that some dogs can be allergic to meat protein
Louie has NO meat or meat products and hasbeen so much better....

Thanks, do you supplement his diet with anything else or just the hard food? I know that formula is mostly potatoes so I wasn't sure if you added something else?

ljds923

Apr 11, 2010
Western MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sharamar n Sergios little lou - aka Louie
Thanks, do you supplement his diet with anything else or just the hard food? I know that formula is mostly potatoes so I wasn't sure if you added something else?

I tried salmon oil and got the yeast back... So...The only thing he gets is the veg food and they also make wet... once a day I give him a pc of cheese - he loves it... and so far so good!:D

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am so very happy to hear this- I know you have battled Louies smell for ages!! Does the veg. Diet have any protisn supplement in it, like eggs or something?

Ann Farley Hamilton

Jul 21, 2010
Brookline, NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Hamilton's Irish Mack we call him Mack and Blossom
There is a grain food that DOES NOT HAVE POTATO OR SWEET POTATO in it Nature's Variety Instinct Grain Free they use Tapioca instead. I found it by doing a ton of research and through this site it's listed on the top 5 foods for bullies page right here. Checked out the page and all the post before you try anything I found it a great help. The nice thing is you can switch between the main meat product once you have them on it because everything else is the same. They have chicken, rabbit, duck & turkey and Salmon. all their foods have salmon oil in it to help with skin. Check out the food page here and also check out naturesvariety.com good luck.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.