Grain and Dairy Free food??

susanmc

May 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
We just found out our English bulldog has food and environmental allergies. She constantly scratches and licks, chronic ear infections and bad smell. Over the past year, we have tried everything in terms of food. Mostly
Blue buffalo lamb and brown rice and taste of the wild. We thought it was just wheat, but looks like grain too. Over the past year, her treats were always dairy (cheese, yogurt).

We have been seeing a dermatologist since mid-April with the allergy test done this past Friday. She came up with 3 types of grass, oak, ragweed, wool and Mosquitos.

She has been on prescription hills hypo-allergenic venison and potato since April and we have noticed a huge difference! We slipped and she got a piece of cheese and started the scratching/itching/ear infection. So we now know dairy is a trigger.

Ironically, we ran out of her prescription food so challenged her with her old food (taste of the wild grain free in lamb). The tiniest amount set her off, which really surprised us! No wonder she wasn't getting any better all last year!

We are now looking at trying another food for her that is a bit cheaper. Prescription is $63 for a 17lb bag.

I am looking for a grain and dairy free food. I came up with blue buffalo basics and wellness simple so far. Wellness simple is turkey and potato (vet says poultry is a common allergy). So I guess I a looking for a venison/ potato formula that is grain and dairy free. Pretty impossible??

Lulu is so itchy when she eats food she can't handle so I really do not want to make her suffer by trying different proteins when the venison has worked well.

I also do not want to dive into raw food. We have an 18 month old who loves lulu and constantly plays with her food bowl.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm going to tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] for this as she has done a lot of research into foods!!

Personally we love the Fromm Beef Frittata because it's grain and chicken free.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Did they give you a list of foods she is allergic to or just environmental?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I'm going to tag @cowsmom for this as she has done a lot of research into foods!!

Personally we love the Fromm Beef Frittata because it's grain and chicken free.

I agree Fromm could be a good start for you! Different grain free flavors and great food! What foods is she allergic to?

OP
S

susanmc

May 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
Fromm was going to be my first choice, but they are not dairy free. The grain free beef frittata has cheese in it. She might be more allergic to dairy than cheese.

Our vet doesn't test for food. Only environmental.

OP
S

susanmc

May 10, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lulu
I meant to say more allergic to cheese than grain.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.