fromm vs fromm

natemoore

Aug 4, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
little bit of honey bear (bitty)
ok so i admit i havent posted much in a while but ive been popping in and out now and again keeping tabs on you guys. Now i have a bit of a dilema.

bitty is on fromm and is a perfect slim forty pounds. she is a mini from cherokee legend rock stock.

seems that fromm surf and turf has too much protien and cuases here to get yeastie in the tear stains, even with regular cleaning.

i went back to salmon ala veg for the lower protien level and the tear stains cleared up but occaionally she gets itchey bumps on her head.

My guess is she has some specific allergy in this type of food that is cuasing it. I have no idea what it is. Im considering the fromm whitfish and potatoe. she likes fish. and it is in the protien range that i think she needs to keep her trim and fit.

thanks guys.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I know nothing of this stuff but there are so many flavors of fromm that you could try. You are going from grain free to the with grain is that right? They have 2 more newer types of the grain free in case you hadnt tried them.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
You may want to try the Beef Fritatta from Fromm.... no transitioning needed.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
We were alternating with Surf n' Turf and Beef Frittata, but noticed that Frank always seemed a bit more itchy on the Surf n' Turf, so now he is just on the Beef Frittata and does really well on it. Haven't tried the new flavors yet of grain-free though.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
We were alternating with Surf n' Turf and Beef Frittata, but noticed that Frank always seemed a bit more itchy on the Surf n' Turf, so now he is just on the Beef Frittata and does really well on it. Haven't tried the new flavors yet of grain-free though.

Surf n Turf has some chicken in it. HRH didn't do as well on it as she did on beef fritatta too. We think it is the chicken that is the problem.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Brutus does great on Fromm Beef Frittata...I would try all Fromm flavors till there are no more left to try! A lot of bullies can tolerate the Beef

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well i dont think the protein actually caused the tearing but whatever in the food that doesnt agree with your pet. ive had sarah who is a couch potato on nvi and she did fine with the protein. thing is unless you can know what is causing the tear stains its hard to say what food to get. you can try the whitefish and potato but just watch for the yeasty tearing again as potato can be a cause of that doesnt mean it is just means it can. with a food with so many ingredients its hard to say which part of it is the problem. so you may in the end have to find an new food. go ahead and try the whitefish one. also seems alot of bullies do good with beef so you can try the beef fritatta to. have you thought of having your bully allergy tested to see what it is thats causing the problem. just a suggestion till then its just trying things and then narrowing down the problem. good luck.

OP
natemoore

natemoore

Aug 4, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
little bit of honey bear (bitty)
the beef does not agree with her system at all she began occasionally vomitting after i started on the beef. i switched back and she quit shortly there after. im not sure if testing is really worth it as the problems she is experiencing are minor at best. I dont really want to change from fromm at this point as it took me a long time to get to the point i am at when she was a puppy. from is the only brand the pup didnt have the soft serve on and she is always solid on the fromm.

Im leading towards it being chicken as the problem as both surf and turf and salmon have some chicken in it. howver salmon has only chicken cartalidge.
i guess ill go to fromms websight and see if there are any without chicken that i can get ordered in and try one of those.

thanks guys

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
the beef does not agree with her system at all she began occasionally vomitting after i started on the beef. i switched back and she quit shortly there after. im not sure if testing is really worth it as the problems she is experiencing are minor at best. I dont really want to change from fromm at this point as it took me a long time to get to the point i am at when she was a puppy. from is the only brand the pup didnt have the soft serve on and she is always solid on the fromm.

Im leading towards it being chicken as the problem as both surf and turf and salmon have some chicken in it. howver salmon has only chicken cartalidge.
i guess ill go to fromms websight and see if there are any without chicken that i can get ordered in and try one of those.

thanks guys

We use the Beef Fritatta as our girl, Banks, is highly allergic to chicken.

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
You may want to try the Beef Fritatta from Fromm.... no transitioning needed.

Hi,

Question why is there no transition needed if the ingredients are different? Bongo is on beef frittata but if I changed him to surf and turf would the ingredients be different thus needing transition?

Sent from my iPad
Frank & Bongo

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
No transition needed. Their formulas r very much the same so that switching between flavors is easy. We switch all the time with no problem whatsoever. ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Texkota

Jun 21, 2012
South Riding, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Renzo
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but can someone tell me how long a 26 pound bag of Fromm's Beef Frittata lasts? Doing the math hurts my head. Yes I know depends on weight of your dog/how much you use, just looking for a general guestimate.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
A bag lasts me about 3 Weeks I think, feeding my 3 pups. Never really pay attention to how often I order it tho to be honest.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Beefy's bag of fromm lasts about 2 months.

We also switch with each bag. First surf and turf, second was beef frittatta, and now salmon tulani

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.