Biggie Is Finally Here, Few Questions :)

Abuimad

May 24, 2012
Doha Qatar
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
i posted this as a reply in the introduction forum, maybe i should have posted this here lol ...
here are my questions ...
1) what am i doing wrong so far (please be brutal with me)
2) how do i get him to go for walks
3) i can't find a treat or toy that he likes, how do i train him ?
4) As for his water intake, i leave a bowl filled with water the hole day, then take it away from him 2 hours before bedtime, is that the right way to do it ?

the story is as follows :)

I picked him up from the pet relocater / vet yesterday he was cleaned, groomed and had a full checkup (he has an ear infection and i was given an ear solution, 4 drops in each ear twice daily), now when i first picked him up, he was shacking very bad, i took him home, brushed him (he was shedding like crazy, maybe the stress of being on a plane, or the new climate), played with him, fed him and obviously gave him water and started introducing him to the house, he seemed to calm down a lot, the shacking was gone and he was less on edge all the time, i tried to sit with him most of the day in his room in order to prepare him for the night, i introduced him to his crate, and threw in toys and praised him every time he would go in, i let him decide when it was time to enter the first time and he got snug and seemed to like it (except when you close the door he would bark and groan), through out the day i placed a collar on him (didn't mind) introduced him to the lease (also didn't mind) but he refused to leave the house to go potty after his meals, i tried enticing him with a toys (he has about 5 toys and he ignores them all) or treats (i have 4 kinds and he won't touch any of them) but he would go to the door and not budge, i tried everything and for a long time but i could not get him to do it, so i figured he had a long day and i called it quits (now i know I'm doing a lot of this wrong, but thats exactly the reason I'm here, i keep being told never quite when you are trying with a bully, but i figured he's been having one of the weirdest days of his 8 month life, I'm cutting him some slack) so with going potty outside ruled out, i placed peepads right outside his crate, and left him in the room for a short while, when i returned he got it half right lol, so i replaced the pads, played with him etc, returned him to the room, left him again for a short while, and he went again on the pads, in total he went 4 times number 2 on the pads while in the room (3 yesterday and one as I'm writing this post lol) he also went number 1 there and he went number 1 on the living room carpet (today in the morning, i tried to walk him, he refused, i brought him to the living room, took my eyes of him for 1 sec, and he was in a puddle of pee lol, i brought out the cleaning kit again and then the smell neutralizer) and on the door in his room,

EDIT: forgot to ask the nutrition question, the best food we can get here in doha is Royal Canin and his breeder also had him on Royal Canin and i have him on Royal Canin Medium Junior so no significant change in terms of food, the vet told me to use 2 6/8 cups a day and thats what I'm doing, his coat has no rashes, but he does smell bad, and his stool is soft, i was wondering, can this be as a result of the food.

and here are some pics of my biggie, did i mention how much i love him
http://www.flickr.com/photos/abuimad/7165589643/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/abuimad/7165589087/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/abuimad/7350800450/

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
My suggestion for you is to create a routine and STICK TO IT. Dogs like routine. That includes potty training. Did you read Cesar Millan's book yet? The puppy one? It's a great read. Super helpful and will answer most of your questions. Congrats on your new pup.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Biggie is a handsome guy and let me tell you I'm impressed he used the pee pads. When my guys were babies they just shredded those pads up for fun. [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] is right about "routine" and lots of patience. I use to feed Royal Canin but since I've found this forum I found out there are better dog foods. I know my Wilson loved those big kibbles of Royal Canin but after doing an allergy test I had to change his food to one that didn't have lamb, pork, vennison, potatoes and oats. A lot of bullies have allergies so you have to find a good quality food that suits your dog.

OP
A

Abuimad

May 24, 2012
Doha Qatar
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
i just bought "How to raise the perfect Dog" and "Cesars way" and i will start reading them now, i also had two other books which i read, the "bulldog for dummies" and "The only dog training book you'll ever need" about the pee pads he shredded them once and i was there to show him thats a no no, he still goes at them sometimes (when they are clean) but he's generally good mannered around them, when he went the first time on the floor, i cleaned it up and rubbed some of the pee on the intact pee pad to get the scent on it, from then he was pretty consistent (still have my fingers crossed though, its too early to tell) i tried walking him again, it took me close to 2 whole outs to get him out of the door, but thats about it, i tried everything, i picked him up, placed him in the elevator, picked him up again and he refused to budge for another hour, so i picked him up and took him home again, i thought i was stubborn, i think I've met my match haha ...

OP
A

Abuimad

May 24, 2012
Doha Qatar
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
oh and about the routine, I'm still working on that, i realize how important it is to find a routine and stick to it, but its still all very overwhelming and I'm just trying to figure things out as we go, i did get him a feeding routine, i feed him twice, after he wakes up and in the after noon (around 6 ish) and the water is there all the time and i take it away a couple of hours before he goes to sleep, my ideal routine would be for me to walk him right after he wakes up, then feed him, feed him again in the afternoon and walk him right after, please let me know if i should change this.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
We picked up 'How to housebreak your dog in 7 days' (inexpensive book bye Shirlee Kalstone) and to save ya a few bucks, it basically says Strict Routine -
this is their 'Guidelines' of a routine if you are a stay at home parent (like me right now)
(adjust time of day, and length of times as needed)

7am wake up, Go out.
710 - 730 play time
730 food and water
8 go out
815 - 845 play time
845 confine (in crate or a small blocked off area in the kitchen)
Noon Food and Water
1230pm go out
1245 - 115 play time
115 confine
5pm Food and water
530 go out
545 615 play time
615 confine
8pm water
815 go out
830-9 play time
9pm confine
11pm go out, confine overnight

now some of this goes against everything I've read, I.E. I put Hershey out after each 'Nap' and then feed and back out again - I alway put him out again after play, and before 'nap'

Being a young pup, he can not hold it for very long 3- 3.5 hrs max so I get up in the middle of the night to let him out.

AGAIN this is the books guidelines - we have had great success with it so far, (day 4 no accidents) but he doesnt have run of the house yet, we know he has caught on Where to go potty outside at, but we dont know if he would still try to do it inside or not (Not giving him that chance yet)

Back to reading Ceasar for me today! I dont feel like finishing powerwashing the house :p

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
oh and about the routine, I'm still working on that, i realize how important it is to find a routine and stick to it, but its still all very overwhelming and I'm just trying to figure things out as we go, i did get him a feeding routine, i feed him twice, after he wakes up and in the after noon (around 6 ish) and the water is there all the time and i take it away a couple of hours before he goes to sleep, my ideal routine would be for me to walk him right after he wakes up, then feed him, feed him again in the afternoon and walk him right after, please let me know if i should change this.

Dont let him have access to water all day, you need to time it, so you know when to get him out to do his business - we found out, if its out, he'll sneak a drink and then the schedule is all blown to hell cause he MUST go out after drinking.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Since your new edition is not a young pup, it sounds like he is just testing the waters. My suggestion is consistent routine, patience and love. Who knows what his previous life was like and how much he has been worked with (or not). I would keep looking for his motivator, this will make like much easier for you. My pup loves food, and the dried liver pieces are his favorite. If he is too big to be carried, then you have to find a way to get him outside without tugging and pulling - that will just make the experience worse. I suggest that you just continue giving lots of love and attention and eventually he will WANT to be with you wherever you are, even outside. Remember, love, patience and routine..... Enjoy your new friend and eventually he will return the love x 10. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Beefy is very handsome...... he is really testing you. As everyone has said routine is key for potty training.

as for his smell... it could be the food, RC really is not a very good food and I noticed in the pictures around his eyes are wet - do they water a lot? I know you say RC is the best you can get where you live... can you list what others are availablt to you?

OP
A

Abuimad

May 24, 2012
Doha Qatar
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
Yesterday Biggie was the perfect gentlemen, i did a two crate system, sleep in the first and poop in the larger newer crate right in front of it, and he used it with 0 accidents, everything was going fine (although he still refuses to walk) until night time, i put him in his room at 11 (he was up at 9am and no naps i figured he would be exhausted by 11pm, i thought those dogs loved their sleep) from 11 till 3 am he barked, yelped, howled even bumped into the door a couple of times, i was extremely worried, i know these dogs are not barkers, and he particularly didn't bark up until then, i was sure the room was puppy proof, but at 12 i couldn't ignore it any longer, i go in (when he paused for breath between barks) and i checked everything nothing was off, everything was in place, he appeared to be normal, and he was super excited when he saw me, i left him and the barking continued, this went through up until 3, where i doubt the dog stopped barking, it was me the exhausted owner who passed out on the couch lol again, I'm sure this is something that can be fixed with a good exercise, he is DEFINITELY not getting his share, and I'm still clueless as to how i can give him his daily requirements when he refuses to budge. any help clues suggestions :)
before i forget his eyes are teary, and red yes, and I'm sure its because of the royal canin, the alternatives are pedigree, lifelong and Hills Science...
as for his water access, i live in an extremely hot climate, however, biggie is never left outside, i read enough threads on the dangers of overheating that I'm playing it very very safe, how many litres would you recommend in a day ?
here are 2 pics from yesterday, God i love this dog more and more every day haha

http://www.flickr.com/photos/abuimad/7353771014/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/abuimad/7168560685/

EDIT: PS i forgot to mention one additional thing, he's always panting, always seems to have labored breathing, i sometimes hear crackles coming when he's breathing heavily, here is a vid i just took, he's pretty much breathing like that most of the times

http://www.flickr.com/photos/abuimad/7353807428/

Last edited:

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
well Lola didn't really liek the great outdoors at first either. well still doesn't. but for potty training we picked her up and took her outside for the first few months of her life. one day (after visiting home and using a lease to go outside) she just followed us out walking! so for training, i would just pick him up and go outside to the spot for as long as it takes. once he starts to go potty in the house, next to the crate, he'll always think its the right way. which is fine, if you want that to be the right way :) he's really really cute :)

OP
A

Abuimad

May 24, 2012
Doha Qatar
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
UPDATE: After a whole day of having him collared and leased, and walking him around the house and the balcony, and with a lot of patience, i took biggie on his first walk outside, he was very scared at first, but then found his pace and was keeping up with me, i then turned to a street with cars (we were on the pavement) and he was able to remain cool and composed with all the lights and sounds and even with sprinklers on the grass right next to the pavement ... he wouldn't go potty, but i will work on that
but the night time anxiety he feels when i go to sleep is still there, he yelps and whines for a couple of hours and then i eventually fall sleep, hopefully with ore exercise he will sleep earlier than he already is, will work on that as well :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
If you take him to a chunk of grass/earth where you know other dogs have pottied, you may have better success with getting him to go outside.

Take care in walking in the heat! Remember those paws are on hot pavement.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.