On the search for affordable but healthy dog food

carpeomnia

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Hello everyone. I have a wonderful, healthy English bulldog who is 6 and a frisky, healthy golden retriever who is 3. Does anyone know of good dog food in the $30 range that's at least a 30lb bag?

In the past we fed them Nutro Natural Choice Chicken & Rice (~$40-$50 at 30lbs), but we started feeding them Pedigree ($20 at 30lbs). They have not had any problems on Pedigree, except for less energy, a dull coat and the bulldog's tear-stains.

But I began Googling dog food because I knew Pedigree is a crappy brand. I am afraid the crap dog food will give them health problems, cancer, or something worse. We began making them their own chicken and rice, and they went crazy over it, but my parents find it too much work to make the food (even though I make it too). So, they switched them back to Pedigree, and now my poor bulldog threw up the dog food all over my room.

Pedigree is such crap with all the corn and grain, but I can't seem to find any affordable dog food in the $30 range @ 30lbs that could be good for them. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I guess one thing, though, is that my bulldog _is_ very healthy for a bulldog, so maybe I am worrying too much about the food.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I've heard the Costco (Kirkland) brand is decent food and reasonably priced.

You have to remember that with cheap food, although you're saving money in the short term, there's a chance that eventually the vet bills are going to add up when your pups get sick due to the low-grade ingredients. English bulldogs are very sensitive in terms of nutrition. With more expensive brands, you wouldn't need to feed as much as you would with Pedigree. So you can be saving that way as well.

Cooking food for them can save you money too. Maybe prepare 3 or 4 days worth at a time so your parents will only need to take them out of the fridge, put in the microwave if they wish, and serve. But remember, don't feed any cooked bones. :no: They turn brittle when cooked which can choke our pups. I feed raw and find that chicken, ground beef and pork are the cheapest types of meat. You can also add veggies and fruits to your mix instead of rice.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
They have a grain free at costco in a blue bag called Natures Domain I think. That is my Mandy's best food but I stopped feeding it because Diamond pet foods had a recall. Well now she is on Earthborn and for the first time in over a year she is starting to get tear stains so I think I am going to switch her back.

It has almost identical ingredients to the taste of the wild salmon formula, and is made by the same company. I actually did a food trial with it and of course all my other bulldogs do better on Fromm or Earthborn, but for Mandy it was just the perfect food for her. I have 6 bulldogs and feed 4 different kinds of food!

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I was going to say costcos kirklands is supposed to be good. hahaha Great minds think alike. ;) I wouldnt go any lower in the food ratings tho than that personally. Look at our list of recommended foods and shop them online to get an idea of prices. I know canidae used to be a good priced food back when I fed it, compared to fromm anyhow. lmao No idea what it goes for now tho. Go thru the list and do not go lower than 3 star which I think is what kirklands got if I remember correctly.

OP
C

carpeomnia

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Diamond Naturals is the same as Kirkand dog food -- both of which got recalled, and I am done with Diamond!

One thing I could consider is that my bulldog _is_ very healthy and we have not had any major problems with her, save a wart on her leg and messy jowls.

Does anyone know how bulldogs respond to Nature's Variety?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
NVI is good, I think a few hear have had great success with the lamb formula.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yes many use it but it isnt on the cheaper side of foods is it? Earthborne hollistic is another good one that is cheaper than fromm etc but still not 30 a bag.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
NVI is good, I think a few hear have had great success with the lamb formula.

It's a good for but very expensive - almost $70 for a 28 lb. bag. We tried Earthborn because it was grain and gluten free (and so much cheaper) but we've had am up swell in allergy problems so I might go back to NVI.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
nvi is great food but expensive. i had a boston on the limited ingredient lamb and all my dogs on the rabbit and salmon formulas. if your looking for a good food thats cheap nutrisource has some grain free thats not bad and earthborn holistic is my preferred choice of cheaper foods. i have a boston on it and he is doing awsome as are my cats. its all trial and error really and i will not feed diamond foods either. you can get some blue buffalo thats not bad priced and is not a bad food. the wilderness is the best but it costs more.

OP
C

carpeomnia

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I believe Diamond distributes Blue Buffalo too, which was on the list of recalls.

Am I thinking of the Nature's Variety as everyone else? This is what I'm talking about: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018CICX6

Fromm is not as expensive as I thought. 33lbs at $50. I thought for sure it would be in the $60-$70 range. Blue Buffalo happens to be more expensive than Fromm or Nature's Variety.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
blue buffalo is not made by diamond its made by cj foods that was wellness. well here in va blue is much cheaper than nvi or fromm so im sorry if its not there. and either natures variety or fromm would be a good choice. they were talking about natures variety instinct not the prarie but made by the same people

Last edited:

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I believe Diamond distributes Blue Buffalo too, which was on the list of recalls.

Am I thinking of the Nature's Variety as everyone else? This is what I'm talking about: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018CICX6

Fromm is not as expensive as I thought. 33lbs at $50. I thought for sure it would be in the $60-$70 range. Blue Buffalo happens to be more expensive than Fromm or Nature's Variety.

*NO* Blue Buffalo is not owned or associate with Diamond - Horrible unfounded rumor. Diamond makes Taste of the Wild

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
With the Cheaper foods, you tend to feed more per servings, so when you compare the cost of bag 'per meals' its not that much more expensive for say Blue Buffalo or other 'premium' food - (I'm tired maybe I didnt explain it too clearly, but 40lbs of a cheap food, would be equivalent to maybe 30lbs of the premium.

and finally its the old 'You can pay me now... or you can pay me later' 1 trip the the vet will eat up your $10.00 per bag savings in a HURRY. Pass on the Latte (if you drink them) and try to go with the better food. :)

OP
C

carpeomnia

May 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
OK, thanks guys. I can find sample coupons for Fromm, Blue Buffalo, and Nature's Variety, so I will try those 3 out.

Btw, here is a picture of my Bully!! She woke up from a nap my chair because someone was mowing the lawn outside. She loves carrots!!

545857_3888877537158_589957998_n.jpg

Attachments

• 545857_3888877537158_589957998_n.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 140

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
OK, thanks guys. I can find sample coupons for Fromm, Blue Buffalo, and Nature's Variety, so I will try those 3 out.

Btw, here is a picture of my Bully!! She woke up from a nap my chair because someone was mowing the lawn outside. She loves carrots!!

That is awesome glad to hear it! And I love the photo!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.