Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Westchester, New York, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
I do use all stainless and glass bowls. I buy her human cotton blankets and wash in a sensitive skin laundry detergent.

Another thing, my bully growing up was allergic to grass. He would like and chew his paws like crazy, so of course the worse time of year was summer. My mom limited where he went for summer walks. We lived up north so bark mulch was common and she would have sections of the yard mulched to limit his grass walking. He also got allergy shots monthly, but I don't think vets do that as much.

Wow so many things. You just never know. Here I was thinking it has to be something in her food. I am so cluess.
Thank goodness for you guys and this site!!

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
@Lily122511, I am so sorry to hear about your struggles! I feel for ya! It's so hard to know if the allergies are food related or environmental or both. Sounds like food definitely plays a role in Lily's allergies, though.

What antihistamines have you tried, if any? That might help with some relief. Also, in the last message I sent you I mentioned the Animax Ointment which we put on Tonka's face when it's pink or he has scratched it up and that seems to help somewhat. Also, an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal shampoo (or bathing more often in general) might help her be less itchy. You can get the shampoo from your vet. I also wipe Tonka down with baby wipes after he has been outside.

I know I have read that other people switch to a bland diet for a while to see if that helps and then slowly re-introduce foods back into the diet and kind of use that to see what might be affecting her. I am sure others would be able to instruct you better on this since I have not tried it myself.

I am sending hugs and positive thoughts your way! Hang in there, I have confidence we will all figure out our bully allergy issues eventually!

Hey there!
How is Tonka doing? Right now Lily is on Benadryl twice a day.
I'm going to try the shampoo and bathing more often. I am going to try everything that everyone suggested.
I did have her on the bland diet as well and she was still biting, licking and rubbing.
I do wipe her feet down with baby wipes everday.
I just don't know what it could be.
I will speak to the vet about the Animax Ointment. Thanks
I hope Tonka is doing better!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am at a complete loss here. I just donā€™t know what to do anymore with Lilyā€™s food & possible allergies.
She was on the Frommā€™s beef for about a month. Everything seemed good except she was still licking & biting her paws.
Then she started rubbing her bottom chin on the rugs and her paws as well.
So I thought maybe she could be allergic to something in the Frommā€™s beef so I tried the Surf & Turf.
She did ok for the first day and a half maybe two days then I came home one night and she was pink. Her face, ears, belly and under arms all turned pink.
I gave her a Benadryl and the next morning she was fine.
So I put her back on the Frommā€™s beef. And she is still licking, biting and rubbing.
Then this morning I noticed that she must of scratched herself open on the bottom of both sides of her mouth because she was bleeding a little.
Now she has started to drool a bit more these days so I donā€™t know if maybe thatā€™s irritating it.
It always seems pink to me down there.
At this point I just donā€™t know what to do anymore. I donā€™t know if I should try a different flavor on the Frommā€™s again or should I try a new food switch? And if so which one?
Should I try the Earthborn? Maybe the Meadow feast?
I have no idea what she could be allergic to and she is only 5 Ā½ months so I canā€™t have her tested for allergies yet.
The only other foods she does eat besides her kibble is scrambled eggs maybe once or twice a week.
She has plain yogurt every few days and some fruit & veggies here and there.
And sometimes she will have a cheese slice.
Other than that I do not give her any other kinds of treats.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I just feel so bad for her.

yo can have her tested, just may not be a as accurate, but it will be something to start with.... ask your vet for a full blood screen allergy test -- it will help to identify what you need to avoid. My girl, Banks, has a arms length list of environmental items she is allergic to which includes --- chicken, all grasses, weeds, molds, several trees and house flies?!

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
yo can have her tested, just may not be a as accurate, but it will be something to start with.... ask your vet for a full blood screen allergy test -- it will help to identify what you need to avoid. My girl, Banks, has a arms length list of environmental items she is allergic to which includes --- chicken, all grasses, weeds, molds, several trees and house flies?!

Good point.
You know I was wondering if I could do it before a year old. Like if it was close to a year old would it really matter....

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
The allergies have been very bad this year for everyone even people who never had them like myself! There are a lot of members who have been through many different foods before finding the right one. @cowsmom is the Food Guru :wink: Right now I would stick to just giving kibble even for treats to try and pinpoint what it could be. It could be enviromental and not even be the food. Brutus had very bad chin acne that took a while to get rid off. Even with me cleaning everday and wiping dry. It was bad for 2-3 weeks then it was just red bumps for a while. Its all cleared up and it took almost 2 mnths after food switch to Fromm. Hope all goes well! There will be many others with great advice...

Was Brutus chin acne red along both sides of his lower mouth? Lily is red down there plus it does look like acne under her chin. But one spot looks kinda stange. I think I might just take a trip to the vet to be sure. And she does does run her chin & mouth on the rugs.
Is there anything I can do at home to help get rid of it? Besides keeping it dry & clean?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Was Brutus chin acne red along both sides of his lower mouth? Lily is red down there plus it does look like acne under her chin. But one spot looks kinda stange. I think I might just take a trip to the vet to be sure. And she does does run her chin & mouth on the rugs.
Is there anything I can do at home to help get rid of it? Besides keeping it dry & clean?

If you search chin acne I posted some pictures of what it looked like..It didnt look pretty in the beginning. Like [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] said use stridex at least 1 x a day always dry her mouth after eating,drinking...Use stainless steal bowls and clean 2x a day with hot water and I would use baby wipes on his chin 2-3 x a day...I would stick with Fromm until you can have an alergy test done! Its one of the best foods out there ...

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
[MENTION=4450]Lily122511[/MENTION] you can also put some neosporin (or a generic brand) on acne spots too!

Tonka is doing OK, we just started allergy shots so we will have to see how that goes. He did scratch his eye a little today so that was all red and boogery. :(

Just wanted to suggest that if the benadryl isn't helping you can try a new antihistamine too. They belong to different "classes" so Benadryl is in a different class of antihistamine than Claritan, for example. You can call your vet and he can give you the correct dosage of a new one if you want to try. Maybe look into Hydroxyzine, it's what Tonka's on and it's prescription only but as far as antihistamines go for severe allergies, it seems to be one of the types that works the best for a lot of dogs with bad allergies. Of all the ones we tried for Tonka, that seems to be the best for us.

OP
Lily122511

Lily122511

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily
@Lily122511 you can also put some neosporin (or a generic brand) on acne spots too!

Tonka is doing OK, we just started allergy shots so we will have to see how that goes. He did scratch his eye a little today so that was all red and boogery. :(

Just wanted to suggest that if the benadryl isn't helping you can try a new antihistamine too. They belong to different "classes" so Benadryl is in a different class of antihistamine than Claritan, for example. You can call your vet and he can give you the correct dosage of a new one if you want to try. Maybe look into Hydroxyzine, it's what Tonka's on and it's prescription only but as far as antihistamines go for severe allergies, it seems to be one of the types that works the best for a lot of dogs with bad allergies. Of all the ones we tried for Tonka, that seems to be the best for us.

Thanks for the info Meggs. What did the skin test say?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.