Needs to GAIN weight

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] I'm in south central Pa in York. I've been trying to find another vet. I called another vet when Belly's face swelled up a few weeks back and the soonest they could get me in was 2 weeks! :cursing: I even told them she was having labored breathing. Good vets around here are few and far between. When I voice a concern the one we have now talks over top of me. My bullies are my kids , but I lost one to cancer and I'm determined to make sure the 2 I have now are as healthy as I can get them. I only switched Dylan to raw about a week ago . The breeder had him on Purina One lamb and rice. Took several tries with healthier food before I found one he would touch. Initially I tried raw, but he wouldn't touch that , now he gobbles it up. I think he was spoiled with the sugar junk in the purina.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=1652]Angelgirl[/MENTION] arent you using vital essentials raw food? are you using the real raw or the freeze dried? the freeze dried has more protein and fat maybe try that to fatten him up if you are using the real raw patties. also the vital essentials has nibblets and treats you could feed also. i would also feed him all the natural treats he wanted. some dogs just look skinny. i have a boston that is very long legged and stays thin looking. its just how he is. let us know how its going.

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
He is on the vital essentials like his sister. I have him on chicken for another week to make it easier on his system like they suggest in the raw forums. I just picked up a bag of freeze dried tripe and I have some ground in the freezer.

I have a Boston too :) but since he's 14 now he's getting more round from wanting to sleep all day.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama I'm in south central Pa in York. I've been trying to find another vet. I called another vet when Belly's face swelled up a few weeks back and the soonest they could get me in was 2 weeks! :cursing: I even told them she was having labored breathing. Good vets around here are few and far between. When I voice a concern the one we have now talks over top of me. My bullies are my kids , but I lost one to cancer and I'm determined to make sure the 2 I have now are as healthy as I can get them. I only switched Dylan to raw about a week ago . The breeder had him on Purina One lamb and rice. Took several tries with healthier food before I found one he would touch. Initially I tried raw, but he wouldn't touch that , now he gobbles it up. I think he was spoiled with the sugar junk in the purina.

Would any of these be worth the ride and [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] is in Denver PA... about 45 mins from you she may have a suggestion

Dr. London and Associates
York, PA
717-854-1544

Conestoga Animal Hospital
113 Martindale Rd
Ephrata, PA 17522
717-733-2155

West Chester Veterinary Medical Center
1141 West Chester Pike
West Chester, PA 19382
610-696-8712

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
He is on the vital essentials like his sister. I have him on chicken for another week to make it easier on his system like they suggest in the raw forums. I just picked up a bag of freeze dried tripe and I have some ground in the freezer.

I have a Boston too :) but since he's 14 now he's getting more round from wanting to sleep all day.
why dont you pick up some chicken freeze dried nibblets or patties to feed sometimes instead of the frozen just to fatten him up. with the more fat and protein it should put more weight on than the frozen. just an idea.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
@2BullyMama I'm in south central Pa in York. I've been trying to find another vet. I called another vet when Belly's face swelled up a few weeks back and the soonest they could get me in was 2 weeks! :cursing: I even told them she was having labored breathing. Good vets around here are few and far between. When I voice a concern the one we have now talks over top of me. My bullies are my kids , but I lost one to cancer and I'm determined to make sure the 2 I have now are as healthy as I can get them. I only switched Dylan to raw about a week ago . The breeder had him on Purina One lamb and rice. Took several tries with healthier food before I found one he would touch. Initially I tried raw, but he wouldn't touch that , now he gobbles it up. I think he was spoiled with the sugar junk in the purina.
you know i had this with sarah. my vet wouldnt come in just 1/2 hour early one morning when sarah was covered in hives with her face swelling and trouble breathing. made me wait till they came in at 730. im like are you kidding me. needless to say i have another vet who actually cares about sarah and goes out of his way to make her better. id be searching for one for sure.

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Dr. London was the one I called and he couldn't get me in for 2 weeks :( He came highly recommended, but I need a vet that is a little more flexible.Next on the call list is Dr. Patton. Do people interview vets? lol.. I'm thinking I should be calling around town and asking questions...

Thanks [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] :) I have some freeze dried now that I've been feeding as treats. Every time he goes out and does his business I give him treats.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Dr. London was the one I called and he couldn't get me in for 2 weeks :( He came highly recommended, but I need a vet that is a little more flexible.Next on the call list is Dr. Patton. Do people interview vets? lol.. I'm thinking I should be calling around town and asking questions...

Thanks @cowsmom :) I have some freeze dried now that I've been feeding as treats. Every time he goes out and does his business I give him treats.
i wonder if you can google vets like you can doctors and see what people say about them. maybe look up their website and see what you think. finding a good vet is so hard anymore. then finding one that is bulldog knowledgeable is an extra feet. i hope you find someone soon that really cares and has the time to spend.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Conestoga Animal Hospital​
113 Martindale Rd​
Ephrata, PA 17522​
717-733-2155

Like [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said, I am 45 minutes away. There should be a few good vets between us. I use this vet, There's 4 on call but they are very familiar with Bully's . I prefer one better then the other 3. Zimmerman is his last name.
Futile anyhow, they won't take on new patients. But if it's an emergency, I'm sure they wouldn't turn you away. You are Welcome to throw my name in there.

Another one I have used and she is rather expensive, and makes you wait like an hour before getting you in a room. Cocalico Pet and the Gingham Dog. She's on Main street in Denver. She spends a long time on her patients and does much research.
Her office just doesn't have all the equipment I would like to see her have. Like a electric rising table for bigger animals. Like I said very expensive.​

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oh my, he does look skinny for a puppy. I would increase the total raw amount and feed him at least 3 times a day to keep up with his metabolism.

Most Reactions