Needs to GAIN weight

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Dylan is 3 1/2 months old. When we got him he had some of the typical intestinal parasites. His last fecal exam came up clean, but he's so skinny! I know they should have a waist, but he is our 3rd bully and I'm concerned that he's not getting enough. He's getting about 2 1/2 cups a day to try and bulk him up a bit. I've moved him over to frozen raw chicken and he gets pumpkin,broccoli,blueberries, and an enzyme and probiotic. He also broke one of his puppy canine teeth. Never had a dog brake a tooth, they usually fell out and a permanent would grow back. Am I being too paranoid or should I be slapping the vet and telling them to check him for other things?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Slapping the vet? While it might be FUN, I wouldn't recommend it :laugh:

If the only thing he is worried about is the weight, I'd wait a little bit. If he doesn't gain on his own you can be concerned.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
How's the poop? If the poops are good and Dylan is gaining weight, you should be ok. Bully's do change their shapes while still growing. some look like little torpedoes. I think they change all the time until they are at least 2-1/2 years old. Fully grown

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
His :poo: is fine. Since changing him to raw it's pretty firm and doesn't smell like it did on kibble. Our vet lumps bullies in the category of every other dog. When we took him in for his shots we voiced our concern about him being skinny, they said there isn't anything wrong with him.Then the fecal came back as loaded with worms...then they said "oh...well that would explain why he is so skinny" :cursing: I wish there was a bully vet near by or at least one that would listen to my concerns...

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
I think he's at 18 lbs or just shy of.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Some bullies go through that "leggy teenager stage" and then fill out. Mable sure did. She looked downright "boxer-like" for a short time; all legs and thin. She filled out eventually. Neither Bo or Bea went through that stage that I can recall. She's always looked like a fire hydrant with legs and Bo's always been a giant moose.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
His :poo: is fine. Since changing him to raw it's pretty firm and doesn't smell like it did on kibble. Our vet lumps bullies in the category of every other dog. When we took him in for his shots we voiced our concern about him being skinny, they said there isn't anything wrong with him.Then the fecal came back as loaded with worms...then they said "oh...well that would explain why he is so skinny" :cursing: I wish there was a bully vet near by or at least one that would listen to my concerns...

Did the vet say what type of worm he has? Some worms will swell the belly and others with drain the body from nutrition.

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] The 1st 2 bullies were little pudges from the get go. Dylan is all skinny legs and HUGE paws.I just started adding cottage cheese and tripe to his food..disgusting but the little guy loves it.

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] he had round worm and coccidia. That's why I thought he still had them and was acting like he was starving all the time.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Indeed. You may need to treat both the critters now. They say if one has worms, they all will get them. My vet has me bring one stool in for all of them

OP
Angelgirl

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
lol :sorry: This isn't the best one for showing his chicken wing looking ribs ...
Dylans1stdayhome049.jpg
He's filled out a little in the past few days. I've been shoving treats in his mouth (banana chips and freeze dried tripe)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
lol :sorry: This isn't the best one for showing his chicken wing looking ribs ... He's filled out a little in the past few days. I've been shoving treats in his mouth (banana chips and freeze dried tripe)

Hey there --- I forget where you are in PA... out by Pittsburg? I would be wanting to slap that vet too, categorizing a bulldog as any other canine tells you you have to find a new vet. Was he on raw when he had the worms and coccidia or did you switch after?

And... where is [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] and maybe [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] they may be able to give some food advice???

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.