Why not petsmart food?

nmejia024

Jan 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
King
Hello! I need some of my fellow bulldog owners to explain why foods like Earth born holistic, FROMM, Natures Variety, etc. are better for bulldogs than foods typically sold at places like Petsmart? What should i be looking for in food for my bulldog? I want him to be happy, healthy, and well maintained. Thanks!!!

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
look at the ingredients. the cheaper food have fillers and meat by-products which could be any part of the animal and you don't know what condition the meat is in before they make the dog food. the more expensive foods have meat or meat meal as the first ingredient

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
When I think of big chains, I think of profit, profit, profit. They wouldn't be selling unless they make a big chunk of money out of it. I would rather go to a place where they are concerned about health over money.

I have heard that Blue Buffalo is decent food though. But for my boys, decent isn't enough. Unless, of course, the brand is the only one that works for them. They're both sensitive to some ingredients, so I found Fromm was the best of all before I changed to raw.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I'm trying the Blue Buffalo now but I am on the look out in my area for Fromm and my reason is - it's rating, ingrediants and the volume of people on here that feed it to their bullies. I just want to ensure I give him the very best.

pamela

May 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma and Annie
commcerial dog food, has grains, corn, by products, artifical oils. I will never use commercial again. My Emma is living proof, raw is the best way. Raw meat, except no pork raw, raw orgainic eggs with shells, veg and fruit. all raw and fresh. Emma had terrible allergies, now, very very healthy and beautiful.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Big box stores only sell foods they can make a good profit on, so usually they don't carry foods that are of high quality because they would have to charge too much for it. Petco recently has started carrying NVI so I am questioning whether they are just getting on the high quality food train, or if NVI is cutting costs in their ingredients so that big box stores will carry it. usually it is the second reason....

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I've been studying this and these meat by-products are 40 kinds of gross. What they mean is all the parts of the animal that they can't sell to Frank Perdue or Jimmy Dean. Eyeballs, testicles, skin, feathers. It is also parts of the animal that has been rejected for human consumption because it was already dead, dying, diseased or disabled. These animals have probably been taking all kinds of drugs for their illnesses too. Cow dying of cancer? Sell it to Purina, they'll use it for dog food. Cha Ching! Profit made :)

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Wow...watched that youtube clip and then literally went and checked Bre's dog food bag (she eats Innova) no by product in there! My ex-husband works for Natura so I luck out and he gives me good coupons every so often.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online