What to start a new puppy on?

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
I know that a lot of food is trial and error as each bulldog is different, but I cannot seem to make up my mind on what to try first. I've been looking at Fromm, Merrick, Earthborn, Blue Buffalo, and Taste Of The Wild. ToTW is probably last on my list at the moment because of the recalls. I can get Earthborn, Blue Buffalo, and ToTW locally, which is a big plus. Fromm and Merrick would require about an hour drive if I didn't order on line. The breeder that we're using gives her dogs Eukanuba and I'd like to change our puppy over to something better after she's been home for a couple of weeks. Just wondering what you guys would recommend for a puppy and how long to keep them on puppy food. Thanks!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
My first reccomendation is always Fromm! I Love everything about their food! The plus since you are dealing with trial and error its good b/c you can switch freeley without slow tranisistion through Fromm Flavors...If you do order online you can go through Petflow using Englishbulldognews and get free shipping over 49$ I belivie...Earthborn would be next on the list but Fromm is great if your bullie can handle it!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I get mine through petflow, it is actually cheaper then getting it local. I feed Fromm puppy until at least 16 weeks, then either Fromm or earthborn after. If you get through petflow, please use the link in this post and use coupon code Englishbulldog for free shipping on orders over $49

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
So when you say 16 weeks, is that 16 weeks on puppy food and then switching to adult? Just want to make sure that I interpret it correctly. If so, what's the reasoning? It's been about 7 years since I was in the puppy years.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, 16 weeks because Fromm 4* foods are ALS.... All life stages, I like to wait until 16 weeks simply because the grow sooo much in the third month. You can do ALS foods anytime, but I just prefer to wait until after their third month.

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
I think I've decided to try out Fromm. A couple of other questions though.

1) Is following the feeding recommendation on the bag/their website typically accurate and the right way to go?

2) How many feedings per day is recommended for a new puppy with Fromm?

3) Assuming that Fromm works out, how long does a large bag typically last?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think I've decided to try out Fromm. A couple of other questions though.

1) Is following the feeding recommendation on the bag/their website typically accurate and the right way to go?

2) How many feedings per day is recommended for a new puppy with Fromm?

3) Assuming that Fromm works out, how long does a large bag typically last?

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
For an 8 week old puppy I feed half cup 3x a day, adjust according to poo consistency. If the poo is firm you can add a bit more, not too much, if it is too soft decrease a bit. A large bag should last several weeks I would think.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We feed our adult dogs twice a day. Can't tell you how long a bag last because I am feeding 5 bullies, but I would think at least several weeks.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.