UGH...what food???

Tobs31

May 16, 2012
Boca Raton, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Sullivan (my angel), Hank, and Ted
So, when I got Hank (11 month old) he was being fed Nutrisource grain-free chicken formula. It was really hard for me to find that food near me so my vet suggested Canidae. Canidae all life stages was a mixture of chicken, lamb, turkey and fish. Hank was not crazy about it and he started getting facial acne. I brought him back to the vet and was told to change his bowls to stainless steel, which I did, and to maybe change his food to a grain-free and a food that was a single protein. Hank was put on anti-botics and his face looked great. I changed his food to Natural Balance grain free chicken and sweet potato. I did a transition and he is now fully on the Natural Balance. One day his face looks really good and some days it looks like he is breaking out again. He has now started licking his feet...constantly! I started the epsom salt soaks and I put cornstarch in between his toes so they stay dry. I'm not sure if I should change his food again since his face kind of looks like it is clearing but the foot licking is now an issue. I know some bully's are allergic to chicken too but I don't know if that is the case since he was fed a chicken kibble as a baby. He also seems to burp a lot more now than he did on the Canidae and his burps are a little stinky but who's aren't : ) and his poopy has been very consistent, not loose at all, maybe slightly too hard? Just a little confused. I love some opinions!! Thanks guys.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
First I would not use cornstarch on the feet just in case it's yeast... Cornstarch is a food and yeast thrive on it....and I cannot remember but I think it was [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] or [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] who brought this to our attention...

I would try a food without chicken, see if that helps. It is likely seasonal but a better food can relieve the symptoms... There are many choices for foods but my first recommendation will always be Fromm... Keep us posted :hug:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Also I would recommend an anti bacterial anti fungal shampoo like pharmaseb from your vet

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
As far as Canadie and Natural Balance Im not a fan of either....Natural Balance just recalled their food as it was processed in the same factory as Diamond food! I had my moms boxer eating Natural until I called the company and they told me about the recall....There are a lot better foods in my opinion that you can feed. I currently use Fromm and couldnt be happier...You can switch freeley without slow transistion and the food is great with good ingredients...I am going to add the think to the food recomendations..I would choose a 6 star if possible if not at least 5 star but at this point I would do grain free and chicken free to see how he does...food is a trial and error ... It may take a couple different foods before finding the right one! Here if you need naything!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You have gotten great advice..the paw licking is definitely a sign of irritation. We tried a few foods with Jake too. I'll tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] she's a food guru! :ROFL:

OP
Tobs31

Tobs31

May 16, 2012
Boca Raton, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for all of the recommendations...I heard great things about Fromm...definitely going to pick up a bag this weekend.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oooh and also having eaten chicken and been fine doesn't mean allergies didn't develop to chicken. I know with skin babies, the Dr said they don't even get allergies till after a year or so cuz they have to be exposed to it to get it. Could be just starting. I also use fromm and love it. If you go to it, switch slowly and once you r on it fully you can switch between the flavors of the same type with no transition period which is nice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
Tobs31

Tobs31

May 16, 2012
Boca Raton, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
I just went on the Fromm website and almost all of their grain-free food have some sort of chicken in them except the Beef...I guess beef it is?!

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
I just went on the Fromm website and almost all of their grain-free food have some sort of chicken in them except the Beef...I guess beef it is?!

I started Brutus on Beef Frittatta and he loves loves it! The food is amazing! If you cant find it at a local store you can order online from Petflow.com

My Brutus is 11 months old as well! Hank is a handsome handsome boy! :)

OP
Tobs31

Tobs31

May 16, 2012
Boca Raton, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Omg Brutus is adorable! I'm glad to hear he likes the beef. I was nervous because I though beef was a big allergy also. I will definitely try it.

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Omg Brutus is adorable! I'm glad to hear he likes the beef. I was nervous because I though beef was a big allergy also. I will definitely try it.

What works for some doesnt work for all...Its really a trial and error! Some bullies do good with the Beef Frittatta and some do good with other flavors..THe great thing with Fromm is now slow switch between flavors and there are so many you can try...Hope he does good on the beef! It can be tough trying to find the right one! I feed my pitbull Fromm as well much more per day but she loves it too! Let me know if you need anything!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I know hrh was on the beef too and it worked well, right [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
Tobs31

Tobs31

May 16, 2012
Boca Raton, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok, I was going to try the beef because it is the only one without some sort of chicken product in it. Even the salmon flavor has chicken fat in it. Thanks for all of your help!

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok, I was going to try the beef because it is the only one without some sort of chicken product in it. Even the salmon flavor has chicken fat in it. Thanks for all of your help!

I belive if chicken is the 7th or 8th ingredient it may not trigger any reaction?? SInce you havent done a allergy test no way to be positive without trial and erro. I could be wrong but you could always try and see how it goes..It could be something else in the old food beside chicken!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online