Any opinions on the food Acana?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I have been feeding Samson TOTW pacific stream but with the recent recalls I am really not comfortable feeding the pups that anymore. The one other food I know he does well on is NVI salmon but the local feed store doesn't sell NVI salmon at all and I am out of food so I don't have time to order from petflow so I went out on a limb and got a bag of Acana Pacifica. The ingredient list looks good and I know it's a high quality food but just wanted to see if my friends here had anything to say about it. Thank you :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
its one of the best kibble you can buy. ive never used it but it is very highly rated as is orijen. i would feed it to sarah if i could. yes i dont blame you about totw i would not be feeding my dogs anything that comes from diamond ever again. to many recalls for my taste.

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
This food is not working out well. Ever since I started Samson on it he has been having really soft stool on a regular basis, not diarrhea but soft. Pumpkin didn't help much so starting last night I put him on a bland diet which I will continue until the bag of NVI that I just ordered from petflow arrives. This is the first time he has reacted this way to a new food, when I talk about any other food and I say he didn't do well on it I mean he was allergic to something in it and had some type of allergic reaction (itching, watery eyes, etc). With acana he hasn't had any issue with it allergy wise but obviously it is not sitting well with his tummy. Loki, my beagle, has done fine on it but she is such a hardy girl. I think I could feed her anything and she'd be fine LOL Has anyone else had this issue with acana?

Last edited:

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
my gregory ate it for a while til we got his allergy test back and found out he couldnt have tomatoes in it. its a great food, it may just be too rich for him

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
you could have just cut back on how much you were feeding and the poo would probably have firmed up. acana is so much better than totw that your dog may not have needed as much of it. i wish you could have just cut back and see if that helped the poo. since i posted earlier i have a boston on it the grasslands and he is doing great.

OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
you could have just cut back on how much you were feeding and the poo would probably have firmed up. acana is so much better than totw that your dog may not have needed as much of it. i wish you could have just cut back and see if that helped the poo. since i posted earlier i have a boston on it the grasslands and he is doing great.

I actually cut him back as soon as I
switched him over, from 2 cups a day of totw to 1/2 of the acana. I learned that lesson. A while ago when switching from natural balance to nvi, i didnt decrease the amount when I started him on nvi & he started gaining weiight.

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I actually cut him back as soon as I
switched him over, from 2 cups a day of totw to 1/2 of the acana. I learned that lesson. A while ago when switching from natural balance to nvi, i didnt decrease the amount when I started him on nvi & he started gaining weiight.
ah ok alot of people dont and wind up with soft poo. well cutting some more may have helped or sometimes it takes a while for poo to firm up but it just may not have been the food for him to. well you are putting him back on nvi which is excellent food as well so its all good if he does good on that. lots of bullies dont do good on acana or orijen.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Did you try skipping a meal yet [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION]? I know you already got the other food ordered but perhaps if he has a lot of gas and his tummy has not caught up to the new food yet. You don't have to not give him anything for a meal, but just a small portion. Jesse always gets that way when switching, and if I do that it seems to help things settle.

jmill79

Apr 1, 2011
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Chula
Chula loves her Acana Ranchlands. She gets 1 cup a day (half in the morning and the other in the afternoon) along with a shot of Salmon oil. It has been a great food for us.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.