Chicken meal question

petee2

Mar 26, 2012
Scott Township, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petee
Going to try Petee on Nature's Variety Instinct Salmon Meal Formula. He is eatting the beef and lamb formula. Doing great on this brand food, skin and coat looks great from recooperating from Demodex Mange, but catch him licking at paws and chewing on his hind legs and wherever he can reach. Sometimes jumps and rears around to get the itch. No fleas and takes Benadryl- was helping him with mange and if any seasonal allergies....anyway, been reading dog food bags and noticing some contain chicken broth, meal, fat. I want to stay away from chicken since most bully's are allergic. Is it okay to have a certain chicken ingredient and which one is okay. I remember reading it somewhere. do I stay with all fish or could I try duck, rabbit... I'm trying to find this info. On my own, but there is soooo much out there. Petee loves canned food to- I'm trying to find a fish formula in canned to scoop onto his food or put in his Kong toy to occupy him.You all have the experience so I figured you are the ones to ask. Petee is 5 months old now. Gets wild Alaskan salmon oil daily along with some yogurt, especially since he just finished taking antibiotic. Any ideas? Thanks!

OP
petee2

petee2

Mar 26, 2012
Scott Township, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petee
Forgot to mention another thing- he's gassy, I mean clear-the-room gassy! How could I forget that! Lol

Laura M Velazquez

May 17, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meilyr
Castor and Pollux makes grain free canned food Salmon and a Beef one. They also have dry food that is grain and poultry free. The salmon one has chicken but the beef does not. Its their Natural Ultramix brand. My Meilyr does good on it but he doesn't seem to have chicken allergies.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yoo-hoo --- oh Sandra, [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION], some one needs your assistance :D

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Ok I would hold off maybe on switching food. From what I've read mange will make a dog itchy. This could be the itch. Also lots of dogs do not tolerate milk or milk products hence the gas. I would stop everything but the kibble for the moment. You can give them some acidophilous pills that humans get. You can add the salmon back in laterwhen your sure its not causing a problem. You can use other oils for the moment . I think you can use olive oil on the food. Dogs can have an allergy to any protein even fish. If you cut out everything n he's still having trouble then a switch would be in order. Just my 2 cents. Also green tea is an immune booster as well.

OP
petee2

petee2

Mar 26, 2012
Scott Township, PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petee
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] Thanks for the info.! Do you or anyone else know dose to acidophilus pills if I get human brand or should I get specifically for a dog? I know it would be the same but the human brand would prob. be cheaper.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I give Sarah human pills just make sure there are no milk products in it. I just give her one capsule a day. They make pills also.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4581]petee2[/MENTION] sorry i was mia for a few days. i give her natures bounty acidophilus pills. 100 million organisms and they are capsules. she tolerates them well. also if you buy some check and see if they have to be refrigerated. some do some dont.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
@petee2 sorry i was mia for a few days. i give her natures bounty acidophilus pills. 100 million organisms and they are capsules. she tolerates them well. also if you buy some check and see if they have to be refrigerated. some do some dont.

Can I add something to this? Don't buy the ones that you have to refrigerate. They sell them telling you that they need to be kept cold for the bacteria to stay alive and active. But your inside your dogs stomach its about 100 degrees, the second these bacteria hit that heat they die (if they were ever alive to begin with). Look for one that says on the label that it is stabilized.

As for dosing, the guidelines are
Small = 5 to 25 lbs = 1/4 human dose
Medium = 25 to 50 lbs = 1/2 human dose
Large = 50 to 75 lbs = 3/4 human dose
Giant = over 75 lbs = human does

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow

Can I add something to this? Don't buy the ones that you have to refrigerate. They sell them telling you that they need to be kept cold for the bacteria to stay alive and active. But your inside your dogs stomach its about 100 degrees, the second these bacteria hit that heat they die (if they were ever alive to begin with). Look for one that says on the label that it is stabilized.

As for dosing, the guidelines are
Small = 5 to 25 lbs = 1/4 human dose
Medium = 25 to 50 lbs = 1/2 human dose
Large = 50 to 75 lbs = 3/4 human dose
Giant = over 75 lbs = human does

of course dear add anything you want :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.