Wellness anyone???

BulldogMom31

May 5, 2012
Houston Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
ROCKY
Wanting to switch my 10 week old puppy to a better food, he's on Eukanuba, but i have hear bad things about it, i just bought him Wellness, but i wanted to know your thoughts about this brand? Help please!!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4840]BulldogMom31[/MENTION] wellness is not a bad food. its ok just watch for soft stools as i believe thats the complaint sometimes with this food. better than eukanuba so no worries. let us know how it goes. and remember to transition slowly. bullies can have sensitive tummies. :)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Wellness is part of the recall along with Diamond, Natural Balance and Taste of the Wild. There are better foods in my opinion that you can get. I am a huge fan of Fromm. What works for some doesnt work for others but check on the recall before feeding the wellness [MENTION=4840]BulldogMom31[/MENTION]

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I have fed both my dogs Wellness food since they were babies and I have never had problems with it or their stools. Only one of the Wellness brands has been recalled - Wellness Complete Health® Super5Mix® Large Breed Puppy. I have fed the regular puppy formula when they were babies and then I went to the Core and then Simple Solutions....I rotate between the two and my dogs like it alot. I have had no allergy problems or skin problems with it at all and I have been feeding it for 3+ years.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wilson was on Wellness for a bit when I first got him and then again when I was switching between that and Blue Buffalo. I finally made the switch to Earthborn Holistic (a grain free) and he's doing wonderful on that. I liked the Wellness overall though. Keep in mind that the majority of Bulldogs are sensitive or allergic to chicken. I was also against ordering my dog food online but I finally did that with the Earthborn about 2 months ago. The smell of the food in wonderful as is the lack of waste when you get to the bottom of the bag - no kibble crumbs at all. :up: So glad I made the switch to this food. Finding the right food can be a very tricky one for our bullies.

Just double check the food recall. That doesn't mean it all bad.

Rocky is so adorable.

OP
BulldogMom31

BulldogMom31

May 5, 2012
Houston Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
ROCKY
Thank you all so much for responding!!! Yes the first thing i did was to call and make sure it was not recall, He's doing really good, he seems to like it, and no problems so far, changing the food really slow tho, don't want to upset his tummy!!! Thanks again Everyone :)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Thank you all so much for responding!!! Yes the first thing i did was to call and make sure it was not recall, He's doing really good, he seems to like it, and no problems so far, changing the food really slow tho, don't want to upset his tummy!!! Thanks again Everyone :)

Glad all is well! Rocky is such a cutie pie :heart:

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I have fed both my dogs Wellness food since they were babies and I have never had problems with it or their stools. Only one of the Wellness brands has been recalled - Wellness Complete Health® Super5Mix® Large Breed Puppy. I have fed the regular puppy formula when they were babies and then I went to the Core and then Simple Solutions....I rotate between the two and my dogs like it alot. I have had no allergy problems or skin problems with it at all and I have been feeding it for 3+ years.

I agree with reallyrob - Wellness is a very good food (6-Stars), and my bully eats CORE Low-Fat and he loves it. He has never had stool problems or skin problems
with this food.

OP
BulldogMom31

BulldogMom31

May 5, 2012
Houston Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
ROCKY
Ok So Rocky seems to Love it so far, no Runny stool, but sometimes its very soft, is that ok? it's not all the time, but it sucks when i have to pick it up, too soft LOL, wonder if this will change and it will b more firm?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I would personally not go with it. Wellness is in the recall, maybe not what you bought but that should tell you something. It was a good brand but now with all this recall :poo: I wouldnt buy anything made from diamond ever. Just my opinion. To me if a food has been recalled it needs to go. Not worth the risk to my babies cuz eventually it will be recalled again.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok here is what i got off the wellness site regarding the recall and such. so according to them they will no longer be associated with diamond pet foods and that they have tested all their products for salmonella and they were all negative. so take this as you will.
The products involved in this voluntary recall are:
Wellness Complete Health® Super5Mix® Large Breed Puppy, 15 lb. and 30 lb. bags and 5 oz. sample bags with best by dates of JAN 9 2013 through JAN 11 2013.

The majority of Wellness natural products for pets are produced in WellPet’s own modern state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Mishawaka, Indiana. WellPet no longer purchases any products from Diamond Pet Foods.

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Ok So Rocky seems to Love it so far, no Runny stool, but sometimes its very soft, is that ok? it's not all the time, but it sucks when i have to pick it up, too soft LOL, wonder if this will change and it will b more firm?
well it may firm up over time but may not. i stated before that one of the complaints with this food is soft stools. only way to know really is keep feeding it and see if it gets better. you can give some canned pumpkin (not pie filling) to see if this helps firm it up. i also posted some info on the recall and such above. id give it another couple weeks to see how it goes if you choose to keep feeding this food.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I make a lovely warm gravy out of Wellness Duck/Sweet Potato canned food + hot water that I stir into their kibble.
The cats even love that stuff so I give them a little snort too.

OP
BulldogMom31

BulldogMom31

May 5, 2012
Houston Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
ROCKY
That's great to know, yes i really don't want to change it again so soon, and i'm still mixing it with his old food anyways, he seems to really like it, how much canned pumpkin do i give him? and just in one meal? or each one! i guess it's ok for him to eat it at his age? he's 11 weeks old today :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i think its like a teaspoon with each meal. im thinking its ok for puppies to.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.