Min/Max amount of protein for my 1 year old Bully?

Danny Nystrand

Jan 5, 2012
Destin, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mighty Samson
So, I've posted on here already asking for opinions on Annamaet Encore (25%) and Natural Planet Organic (23%) with little response as it seems few are very familiar with these 2 foods. I found these 2 foods through a combination of the allergy report that I received from Samson's allergy test and on dogfoodadvisor.com. I loved his old dog food, Dogswell Nutrisca, and so did he. Unfortunately it has peas in it as the 3rd ingredient, which he's allergic to along with salmon, venison, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, and alfalfa. He's currently on California Natural Chicken & Rice (21%), but hates it (and I don't like the huge sized kibble). It's so hard to find a good dog food without these ingredients, let alone a grain free one! I did however, find another good high rated food called Artemis Osopure Power Formula that has none of the ingredients that he's allergic to, but the protein level is 33%. Is this too high? What's the recommended max and min? Any help would be much appreciated!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
you could cut the kibble with veggies to reduce the protein? i know that NVI chicken has like 42% protein and some bullies are on it. mine is on NBalpha lamb and rabbit. but lola likes venison so we mix in some venison jerky so she will eat it.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
from what I have read, bulldogs that are not very active should be on a lower %protein diet like less than 30%. Those that are really active should be ok on >30%. But all this is debatable anyway since it seems some people believe this and others don't. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] is a food expert so she can help you out more. If you list all of your bully's food allergies maybe we can help you find one that will work.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
the natural planet organics is out as it has peas n alfalfa in it. of the other two I'd have to say Artemis. I'm not thrilled with either really. what happened to the raw? I have suggested canned to you as Sarah is doing well but it is expensive and she gets a probiotic n a vitamin also. why not get the kibble n feed something else with it. I have just ordered some vital essentials freeze dried to give to Sarah with her canned food. just some ideas. good luck

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
22%-25% Protein is the range that I keep my Bulldog on. It's better overall for their growth and joint health and kidneys.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Someone just posted a letter they received from Orijen concerning protien, it was a very good read. It pretty much debunked the high protein theory, I think it depends on the source of the protein more than anything. What is on the allergy list besides what you already stated? perhaps we can help you look for a good choice.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] its posted on the middle of the post Lisa and pretty much reads like sarahs n not sure any grain free is available.

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I'm sorry but I do not believe in low protein unless your bully has a medical condition. I have fed Sarah lower protein foods n I have seen a difference in her energy level and strength compared to a higher protein food. the lower the protein and you are pretty much feeding your pet whatever carb is in there. just my opinion. I have found a few kibbles Sarah could eat but I think they were kinda expensive. if you are interested I will post them

OP
Danny Nystrand

Danny Nystrand

Jan 5, 2012
Destin, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mighty Samson
the natural planet organics is out as it has peas n alfalfa in it. of the other two I'd have to say Artemis. I'm not thrilled with either really. what happened to the raw? I have suggested canned to you as Sarah is doing well but it is expensive and she gets a probiotic n a vitamin also. why not get the kibble n feed something else with it. I have just ordered some vital essentials freeze dried to give to Sarah with her canned food. just some ideas. good luck

You're right. I didn't notice that at first about the Natural Planet Organic.... I'm still doing some research on raw as of now. I don't think going full on raw is very practical for me right now given my living arrangement and lack of freezer space. As for his exact food allergies, I listed them all above (salmon, venison, corn, peas, alfalfa, potato, and sweet potato). The Dogswell Nutrisca is so frustrating as it's the closest grain free food that I've found to be free of these allergies, if it wasn't for those darn peas. I wish I could call them up and tell them to take them out as it already has a solid amount of protein. Why are the protein boosting peas necessary??? NVI also has a formula that comes close, but it too has pea starch as like the 5th or 6th ingredient. I do believe I might try the canned food also, but I still need a good solid dry kibble that I can rely on so if you or anyone has any suggestions knowing what he's allergic to, please share. Thanks for the help!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I'm sorry but I do not believe in low protein unless your bully has a medical condition. I have fed Sarah lower protein foods n I have seen a difference in her energy level and strength compared to a higher protein food. the lower the protein and you are pretty much feeding your pet whatever carb is in there. just my opinion. I have found a few kibbles Sarah could eat but I think they were kinda expensive. if you are interested I will post them

Only some medical conditions require low protein diets but doctors disagree on which ones they are. For every vet who tells me Abby should be on restricted protein, I have another one who tells me that it isn't necessary for her kidney function. But they all agree on one point, it isn't the quantity of protein, it's the quality of it so I am no longer restricting this in her diet.
Her nutritionists all agree, the formula for healthy weight and muscle mass is 1g per pound of body weight. Abby gets 24g a day.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
You're right. I didn't notice that at first about the Natural Planet Organic.... I'm still doing some research on raw as of now. I don't think going full on raw is very practical for me right now given my living arrangement and lack of freezer space. As for his exact food allergies, I listed them all above (salmon, venison, corn, peas, alfalfa, potato, and sweet potato). The Dogswell Nutrisca is so frustrating as it's the closest grain free food that I've found to be free of these allergies, if it wasn't for those darn peas. I wish I could call them up and tell them to take them out as it already has a solid amount of protein. Why are the protein boosting peas necessary??? NVI also has a formula that comes close, but it too has pea starch as like the 5th or 6th ingredient. I do believe I might try the canned food also, but I still need a good solid dry kibble that I can rely on so if you or anyone has any suggestions knowing what he's allergic to, please share. Thanks for the help!
which nvi are you talking about all the ones i see have alfalfa in them to except the limited ingredient ones and they have peas. i will see what i can find but sarah has alot of the same allergies which is why im reduced to only a few canned and a few freeze dried raw things.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Only some medical conditions require low protein diets but doctors disagree on which ones they are. For every vet who tells me Abby should be on restricted protein, I have another one who tells me that it isn't necessary for her kidney function. But they all agree on one point, it isn't the quantity of protein, it's the quality of it so I am no longer restricting this in her diet.
Her nutritionists all agree, the formula for healthy weight and muscle mass is 1g per pound of body weight. Abby gets 24g a day.
oh awsome then there are some kibbles you can feed then? or freeze dried?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
oh awsome then there are some kibbles you can feed then? or freeze dried?

She's done so well on the home made diet, I'm afraid to try :(

She is a quick little bugger and gets into Roxy's food all the time. I dream of finding a food that BOTH of them could eat so I wouldn't have to worry about skyrocketing numbers if she gets by me. I've read that some of the dry food for seniors is low enough in phosphorous to feed her, but I'm scared

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well dear you have to do whats right for you. you could try giving a kibble for treats. like just a few and see how her numbers are. then add more. its how i do it with sarah when i give her something new. its crazy but shes so allergic to everything. if i can help you let me know dear. :hug:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
well dear you have to do whats right for you. you could try giving a kibble for treats. like just a few and see how her numbers are. then add more. its how i do it with sarah when i give her something new. its crazy but shes so allergic to everything. if i can help you let me know dear. :hug:

I absolutely will. :yes: Thank you!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.