Earthborn Holistic Grain Free Great Plains Feast Experience

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Linus lost hair too? Is Truman whited haired? Just curious? Wondering if it could be skin pigment related?

The strange thing to me is the first thing I noticed about this food and Jake is how great his coat became! Soft and the shedding improved so much! And it's still great! amazing...! Poor Jack..looks like a plucked chicken! :(

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Linus lost hair too? Is Truman whited haired? Just curious? Wondering if it could be skin pigment related?

Truman lost hair in patchy places like his side and behind his ears, like Jack. Linus had what looks like a breakout of pimples on his skin from allergies and also lost a bunch of hair. I'm not sure if that's related to the food but I think I'm going back to NVI because we didn't have this problem before and it looks like a trend, judging from your photos.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Truman lost hair in patchy places like his side and behind his ears, like Jack. Linus had what looks like a breakout of pimples on his skin from allergies and also lost a bunch of hair. I'm not sure if that's related to the food but I think I'm going back to NVI because we didn't have this problem before and it looks like a trend, judging from your photos.
Pimples huh? If Jack's hair grows back with the Coastal Catch than I know that it's the Bision.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The strange thing to me is the first thing I noticed about this food and Jake is how great his coat became! Soft and the shedding improved so much! And it's still great! amazing...! Poor Jack..looks like a plucked chicken! :(
I still think it's a great food, just the bison might not be right for Jack. If the switch change his hair to start growing back in the next few months than I'll know it's not the Bison. Jake looks wonderful too!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Mandy's food is natures domain, she did so good on it during my trial I kept her on it. Well since the recall, I put her on coastal catch by earthorn. She has not had any tear stains in over a year, and now is getting horrible ones!!! I am knowing that it is the food, I think I need to switch her back. I am afraid of putting her on a diamond food brand again, but it is her best food. What should I do??????

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Mandy's food is natures domain, she did so good on it during my trial I kept her on it. Well since the recall, I put her on coastal catch by earthorn. She has not had any tear stains in over a year, and now is getting horrible ones!!! I am knowing that it is the food, I think I need to switch her back. I am afraid of putting her on a diamond food brand again, but it is her best food. What should I do??????

I wish I could tell you! I would try to find a food with VERY similar ingredients to what was working with Mandy and try that one before going back to the Diamond brands. But even, then it may not work since I am facing a similar predicament here with Truman and Linus. On one hand, I like Earthborn more, it's less expensive, it's grain and gluten free BUT they seem to be having a TON of skin problems since I switched from NVI, which is basically the same thing. I've been to the vet for allergy related skin problems three times since switching to Earthborn - is it the food? I wish I knew!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I wish I could tell you! I would try to find a food with VERY similar ingredients to what was working with Mandy and try that one before going back to the Diamond brands. But even, then it may not work since I am facing a similar predicament here with Truman and Linus. On one hand, I like Earthborn more, it's less expensive, it's grain and gluten free BUT they seem to be having a TON of skin problems since I switched from NVI, which is basically the same thing. I've been to the vet for allergy related skin problems three times since switching to Earthborn - is it the food? I wish I knew!

I have no doubt it is, funny the same food makes Jesse tear stain free! Of course the closest in ingredients is TOTW, but I guess it's time for me to see if there is another close to it. Even on surf n turf she did not do as good as natures domain. The only downfall to natures domain is the coat it not as smooth as I would like, other than that it's perfect for her.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack's been on the Great Plains since for about 2 months now and he's lost hair as well. He's already thinned furred but he's lost it on the underside of his neckl and his ears. It's weird because it looks like his molting like a bird on the neck area. I read this post awhile back so I've been wondering if the bision does not agree with him. I'm going to try him out on the Coastal Catch in the next week. That's the only issue he has right now. I'll report back if I think it's the bision.

Wilson and Emma are on the Meadow Feast and are both doing great on it.
This was the beginning of April.

Here's a few pics I just took showing his molting chicken neck. Mike thought at first too that he was shedding his winter coat but I knew it wasn't.

Please excuse the multiple scratches on his neck, that's from EMMA!!! :lol: Poor Jack, he has no fur and she has shark teeth.

6aa1b4a2.jpg

9dd306a7.jpg

662be7c9.jpg

And his ear.
98bce585.jpg

An Update on the Bision and Jack.

It's now been 3 months (give or take) that's he's been on the Coastal Catch and finally as you will see below he's looking normal again. It was the Bision he had a reaction too as I suspected. He's a very thinned haired but he doesn't look like a molting chicken anymore. I have just transitioned Wilson and Emma over to the Coastal Catch too and they're all doing great on it and for the first time since I can remember, all my dogs are on the same food. :dance2:

Here's Jack tonight.
8690F3DD-9DB7-4A5A-A166-C2EE8F02EF79-5723-00000486D5321AD6.jpg

61F1C89B-8FE8-47DF-8135-E409A706FE7A-5723-00000486C67EC4F1.jpg

234A2800-E2DE-4D1E-9F22-BF51097EEEEA-5723-00000486C07BC55E.jpg

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

@cowsmom, @Sherry, @Vicaroo1000, @Watson

Last edited:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
This was the beginning of April.

An Update on the Bision and Jack.

It's now been 3 months (give or take) that's he's been on the Coastal Catch and finally as you will see below he's looking normal again. It was the Bision he had a reaction too as I suspected. He's a very thinned haired but he doesn't look like a molting chicken anymore. I have just transitioned Wilson and Emma over to the Coastal Catch too and they're all doing great on it and for the first time since I can remember, all my dogs are on the same food. :dance2:

Here's Jack tonight.
8690F3DD-9DB7-4A5A-A166-C2EE8F02EF79-5723-00000486D5321AD6.jpg

61F1C89B-8FE8-47DF-8135-E409A706FE7A-5723-00000486C67EC4F1.jpg

234A2800-E2DE-4D1E-9F22-BF51097EEEEA-5723-00000486C07BC55E.jpg

@desertskybulldogs

@cowsmom, @Sherry, @Vicaroo1000, @Watson

Oh, that is MUCH better! I admit I have Gator and Gypsy on NB LID....go ahead and get me! lol. They are doing great on it and I had been thinking of a change but I don't want to mess with what is working. KWIM?

Einstein the Great

Jun 14, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
Bulldog(s) Names
Einstein
We switched Einstein from Taste of the Wild to Earthborn after all the recalls. He was on Meadow Feast and seemed to be doing great so we bought a second bag. Then he started getting picky on us. He vomited a handful of times in a couple of weeks and my husband was convinced it was the food. Not sure if that was the case. So he bought him Fromm, Beef Fritatta. We are still in the process of switching over but his farts are horrendous! Talk about clear a room! Did anybody else have this problem? I thought about switching him back to Earthborn and maybe trying the great plains or coastal catch and see if he likes that better.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
[MENTION=2559]Einstein the Great[/MENTION] the gas is likely because of the transition. Once you get all of the way on the Fromm, it will likely stop. At least every bully I know that tried that flavor of Fromm got rid of their gas after transition. We had TERRIBLE gas on TOTW and went to Fromm and once transition was over, the gas was gone :). I would stick with the Fromm for about 6 weeks which is what you should do to see the benefits of any transition. Good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online